1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you go to the Venue in New Cross in the 90s?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by boohoo, Dec 21, 2016.

1. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Went there a fair bit, can remember carter USM, being guests of conflict at a crazy rammed gig and once speaking to Gonch (the ginger one) from Grange hill in a smaller room/bar upstairs
    The punks used to frighten and amuse me with their shoving and spitting

Used to go to the dewdrop too :)

Sea Lion likes this.
  2. Voley

Voley By Nature He Was Bendy

Couple of my mates went to one of them. They're not fans but said it was a good laugh. They had the whole crowd lying on the floor at one point. Don't ask me why.

boohoo likes this.
  3. Sea Lion

Sea Lion If you can't dance just nod your head

I used the place a lot in the late eighties. It was the last stop after Millwall and a nights drinking on the old kent road. It was mixed crowd of irish and locals. It usually finished in a free for all with the heavy handed bouncers.

4. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

Loved it went a lot used to have some good bands there. From memory
    DOA
    Conflict
    Green on Red
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    Nine inch Nails
    etc
    Think it was called the Harp club before becoming the Venue.

End of the night staggering out and waiting for an N53 to get me home to Plumstead. Great!

ddraig likes this.
  5. Maggot

Maggot .

I remember going to Flim Flam when it was in the Crypt in Deptford. The first club I went regularly to. This was mid-eighties.

6. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Yep used to go there too to see bands .Remember it as low ceilings and heaving.

Maggot likes this.
  7. friedaweed

friedaweed Branded as a fool

91,92,93. This was my go to from Uni. Many a night we staggered from Goldsmiths Union Bar into the Venue. :)

8. kevin02

kevin02 Member

Used to go there around 89/90 think it was owned by the same crowd that ran the Swan in stockwell as they used to run a coach there from the Swan to the Venue

9. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Do you remember everyone siting down to James?? :rolleyes::D

purves grundy, ddraig, Maggot and 2 others like this.
  10. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

We did that when they supported the cure at crystal palace bowl, too. We thought we were SO FUNNY. :oops:

marty21, Voley and boohoo like this.
  11. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

I used to go in the mid-late 1990s, when it was moving from proper bands to tribute acts. Sleeper played there the week Inbetweener got into the top 20 but the crowd was really small - no more than 100. As soon as the retro disco began, the hall filled up. The proper bands dried up after that.

Used to love it upstairs, became a reliable night out and I used to know enough people there to get away with going on my own if I fancied a drink and a dance and nobody wanted to come with me. The fella who used to DJ upstairs - Richard? (Future Legend on the flyers) - was a top guy, even came to a night we put on in Camden one year.

Not sure if it's still there, but for a while around 1994/5 they had a semi-standalone Irish bar at the front, Fagans, that was open Sundays until 2, which was great fun until the Old Kent Road crowd cottoned onto it. It was even open on Christmas Day evening.

Voley likes this.