1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you go to the Venue in New Cross in the 90s?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by boohoo, Dec 21, 2016.

1. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

Yes, I went a few times, but was also mostly up the road at the Albany Empire, :) happy memories..

2. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

As I've mentioned on threads before, I went loads - at least once most weekends - from 1990-1991, when I was 16/17. I could get one bust from bexleyheath Broadway all the way there, and I was a member, so the first twenty members got in free. It was therefore very cheap.

I mostly stayed upstairs in the star bar. I know bands did play, but I didn't bother going to watch many of them. In 1991 the management changed, and we stopped going quite so much.

kittyP, boohoo and Voley like this.
  3. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

I went twice during my stay in London, can't remember exactly when but both times between Aug 90 and Apr 91. Once was to a student night; me and my two mates went, didn't have enough money to go to the pub beforehand so drank cider on the big common nearby, whatever that was, in the middle of a thunderstorm (I ended up stood on a bench daring God to strike me down with a bolt of lightning). Second time I went was to see Cardiacs which was brilliant and terrifying

Voley likes this.
  4. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Bloody hell! That takes me back. I was in U.V. Ray that supported the Darkside. Lead singer of Spectrum Zero was my mate, Adrian De'Ath (real name!) who was mates with The Darkside, who were ex Spacemen Three. Adrian was quite pissed off when Pete Kember started to use the name Spectrum.
    Suffice to say we never had to struggle with fame :D

marty21 and Voley like this.
  5. Sea Star

Sea Star undead undead undead

I saw Levitation there - highly likely to have been that one I expect. Wasn't that when the Bunnymen were gigging without Ian McCulloch? Actually I have a feeling I might have seen them during that period. I've never seen them with McCulloch anyway, I'd have remembered that. I also saw a band called Spitfire there and a bit later Half Man Half Biscuit.

Voley likes this.
  6. Voley

Voley If you're happy and you know it, fuck off.

Ah right. That would explain why I didn't go. I was thinking it seemed a bit early for the reformed Bunny men.

Sea Star likes this.
  7. Voley

Ace.:D Did you ever support Sonic Boom? Only I saw a band who may :hmm: have been called UV Ray supporting him at Subterania once that I thought were really good. MC5/Stooges two chord type band. Said Motherfucker a lot. Was that you?

8. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

I went there loads. Mostly for the bands, but did hang around after to dance. I saw Snuff, Subhumans, RDF....plus indie pop bands like The Orchids, BMX Bandits etc. I assume I saw Carter there....it's all a bit of a haze tbh.

Voley likes this.
  9. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

All the Cs - Chumbawamwba / Conflict / Creaming Jesus / Current 93.

It was a pig to get to from North London and involved at least two Night buses back, so only went sparingly.

10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Maggot, ddraig and boohoo like this.
  11. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I did go out in New Cross a few times in the early 90s , it was usually a bit messy so may have been there :hmm:

Badgers likes this.
  12. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Nah, we supported the band who supported the band made up of the other ones from Spaceman 3.:D Two chords was a little beyond me then, more like two strings and a distortion box. I did go on to form a band with Adrian from Spectrum Zero, as they kind of disbanded when their guitarist Steve White chose to concentrate on his other band Spitfire, who AuntiStella saw there. If memory serves, their drummer ended up in Elastica.

marty21, boohoo and Voley like this.
  13. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I was always in the upstairs bar too. Preferred spending my whole night dancing.

kittyP and spanglechick like this.
  14. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I remember the mosh pits to certain songs. :D Not so fun when everyone is jumping around with fags in their hands. :D

ddraig likes this.
  15. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Actually I did see Carter there because Blade was in support and Carter's fans were really hostile to him, much to Carter's dismay.

16. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

A few times...... or at least a couple that I saw them

They're on one of the playbills, supporting Chumbawamba

17. Voley

I can remember umming and aahing about going to the gig you did. I can't remember whether The Darkside had any good tunes but the fact that they were ex-Spacemen 3 was tempting. I expect I gave it a miss because Spiritualized were on a couple of weeks later. They were already pretty good by then. I'd give anything vaguely S3-related a go mind. Anyone remember Lupine Howl, the band Jason Pierce sacked from Spiritualized? I saw them once. Not great tbf. :D

Badgers and Lucy Fur like this.
  18. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Used to go an awful lot from mid to late 90s.
    Can't for the life of me remember the names of any bands I saw there but I think it's standard to not remember much after being at The Venue.

I do remember we would start off with a band downstairs and then up to the top floor Star Bar for dancing.

My friend R would always have a purple moustache the next day from drinking snakebite and black
    We all drank it but she was the only one that ended up with the purple moustache for some reason. :D

ddraig, boohoo, Voley and 1 other person like this.
  19. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I think I played there once on an off peek day at an off peek time to an off peek crowd. I have a hazy memory of seeing adi from swervedriver. Looks like the sort of place I would have loved from about 88 but I didn't live in London until 93 and wouldn't really venture out of Ealing. Did go to the central London venue for John Spencer though.

20. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

They were right though

Voley and boohoo like this.
  21. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Peter and the Test Tube Babies and the U.K. Subs. Must have been to others, but buggered if I can remember them

22. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Dr and the Medics seemed to do the Christmas shows. I saw New Model Army play there -that was good.

I remember the walls of the venue always covered in sweat (condensation) and the carpets were pretty revolting although we would all end up sitting on the floor.

I remember smoking a joint in the mens loos.

23. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Why don't they book proper bands there anymore?

Maggot likes this.
  24. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

I was there one New Years Eve in late sixties .It was the Harp Club then. We were kids and sat upstairs on the floor, looking down through ironwork railings at the adults dancing below. Up there we were at the same height as a huge net full of balloons, ready to be dropped at midnight. I was mesmerized, it was like being in balloon heaven.

Years later and used to go there in early 1980's for the Flim Flam club nights. It must have had dodgy ceilings, we'd dance around huge puddles to ' You spin me right round' and a lot of Depeche Mode. Old black and white cartoons projected on to the walls.

marty21, boohoo and Voley like this.
  25. Orangesanlemons

Orangesanlemons Inamorati Anonymous

Used to go back in the late 80s, when it was still the Harp Club. Quite anarchic, you could stroll around the different levels relatively untroubled by bouncers & get up to all sorts. Can't honestly remember seeing a single band there. A few plastic tables downstairs, lots of snakebite & black. That Petrol Emotion & My Bloody Valentine on the playlist. Punk & crust upstairs.
    Think the name of the night we frequented was 'Totally Wired' - Fall song was always the last tune of the night. Loved it.

The owners did a runner (I heard) & it re-opened as the Venue. Similar, but not the same. Harsher security, a LOT busier, loads of tribute bands.

Same night buses though. Always a nightmare to get home from, but a great south London venue.

clicker, boohoo and Voley like this.
  26. Voley

I lived in Plumstead when I used to go so the night bus situation was a bit easier for me. 53 (?) used to take me pretty much to my door. I do remember one particular night stood at the bus stop all sweaty from dancing and it practically freezing on me by the time the bus came.

Badgers, ddraig and clicker like this.
  27. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I dated someone in Greenwich so that I didn't have to do the journey back to Stockwell :D

Oula, Maggot, clicker and 2 others like this.
  28. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Change management in the 90s to the same people who run the Swan in Stockwell which had gone from a proper Irish pub to a cover band pub as it is today.

darryl and ska invita like this.
  29. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Thing is the cover band thing obviously works for them, but why not throw a real band in the mix too? Seems a waste - theres not a venue of that size anywhere else in south east london

30. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Verve, when they were mind blowing and obviously before they added the 'The'. Unforgettable.

45worlds.com says "The Verve" but they're wrong. 12th June 1992.

Voley likes this.