1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you go to the Venue in New Cross in the 90s?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by boohoo, Dec 21, 2016.

1. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I know lots of people on here did (I see there are a couple of threads from the past). Did you see any good bands/ celebs? Upstairs or downstairs? Any particular stories to tell?

(Course I often associate it with the Urban Free Festival too)

Oula gaijingirl spanglechick

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Saw schwarzeneggar and conflict there

boohoo likes this.
  3. Voley

Voley By Nature He Was Bendy

Yep. Early 90's for me.

Saw Spiritualized, Silverfish, Ragga Twins, Extreme Noise Terror and loads more. Had a dance with Miki from Lush there one night. Was well chuffed by that.

4. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I saw Carter USM and New Model Army. Wished I had paid attention to some of the bands playing. Got into the Cardiacs after they played there.

I remember a story someone told me about the Levellers playing and them asking someone if it was any good and they said no they were shit - the band went on to have much success after that point.

Maharani and Voley like this.
  5. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Voley I can't help imagining how many urbs were hanging out near each other not knowing that they would all meet on the internet in years to come :D

6. Voley

What was the pub over the park? The Dewdrop? Something like that? I used to like that one - used to get pretty messy.

Miss-Shelf and Pickman's model like this.
  7. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Yep the Dewdrop Inn. My linemanger in my current job use to go there a lot. I went once. I seem to spend a lot of time hanging out in Greenwich.

8. Voley

Mudhoney supported by Hole was meant to be a really good gig there. I was in Cornwall unfortunately so missed it. Both bands swapped clothes in the break. Mark Arm looked good in Courtney Love's dress apparently. :D

lizzieloo and Maharani like this.
  9. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I should ask my brother about all this. He went for longer than I did because although younger he had more freedom than me (the bastard). :(

10. Voley

I remember it being good value. A fiver in iirc? You'd get a couple of bands who were pretty good, by and large, and then dance till late after. Even a student like me could afford it (goes all misty-eyed).

boohoo likes this.
  11. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Master Of Shambolics

I went past it on the bus loads between 94-96 but it looked terrifying so never ventured in.

12. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

It was cheap - you could go with not a lot of cash and some fags. Like I would do the evening on a tenner. :D (misty-eyed too) :D

kittyP, Miss-Shelf and Voley like this.
  13. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Matt use to go back in day :D

14. Orang Utan

i remember. most of us just wanted to go raving, but he clung to his rock roots a bit longer

15. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Good for him! The venue was ace! :D

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  16. Voley

This was when I used to go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went to that Levitation one. They were good - don't remember seeing the Bunnymen there though - I'd be surprised if I didn't go to that but my memory's a bit knackered now tbf.

ddraig, Sirena, Nivag and 2 others like this.
  17. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

I saw Snuff and Mad Cow Disease there (on different nights). Around 1993 or 94. Had to leave early and run back through the estate to get last trains to get me back to New Malden.

18. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I do have a couple of fliers somewhere. Weren't Back to the Planet always playing? I think I saw Senser but not at venue... might have been ...argh brain has fuzzed into a blur of free festivals, glastonburys and places I went to.

19. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Snuff! Forgotten about them!

20. Orang Utan

By the time I went past it often, it was all just The Armenian Pink Floyd and that lot - covers bands.

21. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

Still going. Or possibly reformed. Saw them last year, anyway.

boohoo likes this.
  22. Voley

We had Snuff on in the cellar bar at Thames Poly. Same time. Good laugh but I was disappointed that they didn't do 'Shake n Vac'. Wat Tyler supported, possibly. :hmm:

ddraig and boohoo like this.
  23. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Meat Raffle

got leathered in NX before a sultans of Ping gig. cannot remember too much but staggered in and watched what we thought was the frank chickens and declared it a racket of shit. Then they finished and we realsied it was the Sultans. erk fail

boohoo and Voley like this.
  24. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

I might just have done in my brief spell back in S London (1991-2) but can't remember

This piece / comment thread on Transpontine may be of interest

25. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Did these guys ever play there?

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I went a few times. Can't remember anything about it, so it must have been good!

27. Voley

A couple of less memorable bands I saw there were Swervedriver and Chapterhouse. That other shoegazing lot with the girl singer, name will come to me in a bit. The drearier end of indie was really particularly dull just then. A fiver though, so I'd give lots of bands a chance at that price. Disco after was always good.

28. Voley

Slowdive! Erk. Wish I hadn't remembered now. :D

29. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

It was a bit of a trek from Edmonton but went a couple of times. Think I saw Silverfish there (or maybe the Faith Healers??) and definitely saw Afghan Whigs.

30. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

The taste of snakebite & black. The smell of Newcastle Brown. The bassline of Big by New Fast Automatic Daffodils echoing down the corridor. Hiding from the bouncers after, for some obscure reason, deciding the best place for two teenage boys to smoke a spliff was in the women's toilets. Sticky DMs. Waiting for the nightbus home in the cold at 2.30 in the morning.

I went to the Venue most weekends in the second half of 1990 and first half of 91. I must have seen every up and coming or B-list indie band who were touring at the time. Memorable gigs include: Chumbawamba dressed as nuns, fronted by Elvis, staging the crucifixion; the whole main room shouting "fuck off" at Whitehouse, then the singer pulling one particularly vocal bloke on stage and spanking him; sitting on the stage with the Levellers and sharing a water bottle with the singer; dancing upstairs to White Lines and Headhunter while Suede made a dreary noise downstairs; Miki from Lush :heart:

I moved away from London for a year in 91/92 and was less into that scene when I came back, but still saw a few gigs there. I think the last time I went was to see African Head Charge at an On-U night in about 94 where I ended up dancing like a mad thing with Little Annie.

darryl, ddraig, Fozzie Bear and 2 others like this.