1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did women's equal rights cause the demise of the NHS?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by enderbyeddie, Jan 13, 2018.

1. enderbyeddie

enderbyeddie Banned Banned

Well I think not directly, but it sure has changed our society. I am old enough to remember when most women were "house wives". The entire house hold could live on ONE PERSON'S wages. There was also some one at home to look after relatives.

These days rents and house prices, food, clothing, and transport have become so expensive, they take up most of TWO PEOPLE'S wages. So there is no way we could return to a one worker household, even if we wanted to.

Progressive governments, seem not to have cottoned on to this simple social change, and have made little provision for helping ill people who need a little care. They have left it to the NHS A and E departments to deal with the ever increasing amount of mostly older people needing usually modest care.

Every year that I can remember I have watched the |TV, and read news papers, telling me about the stress the NHS is under, and reports of cut back in services. Never once a report that things have got better, so all I can extrapolate from that is , my, what a fantastic service we must have had decades ago, that all these cuts have taken place, and people still actually get treated.

Is it about time we got the politicians out of playing politics with our NHS? Well I think we should, and if you agree with me, I have a very simple way of doing that.......

Over recent years VAT has brought in about the same as we spend on the NHS, so how about re:branding VAT as HAT health added tax........All proceeds spend entirely on the |NHS. If we find we need to spend more on our health, change the percentage rate we set on HAT.

While we are at it, amalgamate the NHS with all social care.

2. MochaSoul

MochaSoul It's being enslaved of your own free will

The vast majority of women are still "housewives" and they have children, parents, siblings and husbands in every hospital, every care home and every school as well as their own homes. They are over-represented in all of the professions involved in those and are paid shit wages for demanding and often menial mind numbing jobs when they are not forced to leave their jobs to care for their families, that is.

There is always money for wars. But it's women's fault for lack of investment in the NHS and social care.

Wake the fuck up!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Almor, Miss-Shelf, yield and 19 others like this.
  3. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Did men being annoying cause the demise of the NHS?

Or maybe it was the aliens.

Or people with blue eyes.:hmm:

Discuss enderbyeddie.

4. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Oh, and the 'someone at home to look after relatives' in these halcyon bygone days. Who were those someones exactly?

5. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Erm no, more like stupid people (of every gender) clogging it up with stubbed toes and garbage like that.

Celyn, Slo-mo and 1927 like this.
  6. enderbyeddie

I must have made a mistake. I thought this was a political chat room, not a kinder garden full of unfortunate people, with not a gram of original thought. The sort that have a mouth full of insults, but nothing else to say.

maomao and Bingo like this.
  7. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

The power of women and the subversion of the community - Mariarosa Dalla Costa and Selma James

8. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Elephants think I’m cute #brap

Congratulations on holding out until your second post, tbf. Good job :thumbs:

9. enderbyeddie

I placed a wager (with myself) and won, that the only comments my thread would attract would be bashing the feminist drum loud, and everything else left by the wayside.

Completely typical of today's politics. Everything correct, addressing none of the other points, solving not a thing, totally reliant in our little country remaining un-threatened economically, the ever smaller slush fund of money we spend to tax, and spend again, eventually becoming insufficient to sustain our services as we now know them, because we only make a small fraction ourselves, of what we consume.

After all, with our welfare state, money just grows on trees, unfortunately, where the rest of the world were planting theirs, we forgot, or didn't bother with our own.

10. existentialist

existentialist Spartacus? No, never heard of him.

Welcome back. Who were you?

Sorry to ask, but since you appear to be following the Returning Troll Playbook to the letter, it seems only polite to respond in kind.

William of Walworth likes this.
  11. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

I think the problem may be that your idiocy is not worth any original thought but is only worthy of insults.

12. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

Yeah. Economic circumstances have changed, and as a result most households can no longer rely on a single income stream. But what has that go to do with equal rights as per your title?

Poot and dessiato like this.
  13. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

The thread title seems like a troll, but I'm definitely OK with the proposal to spend more on home care for the elderly, ideally by raising taxes on corporations.

14. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Maybe the men could stay at home or take on more responsibility for caring? Why is it the fault of women?

Almor, TikkiB, Poot and 12 others like this.
  15. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Maybe you should try making one point at a time - what kind of reaction did you expect when you asked the question "Did women's equal rights cause the demise of the NHS?" You answered your own question correctly with "No" immediately then started talking about several other things.

ShiftyBagLady, equationgirl and Celyn like this.
  16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

17. Pickman's model

Every wager has a winner and a loser so you also lost your bet. In fact you lost and lost as I'm not banging a feminist drum

18. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

The power of women and the subversion of the community - Mariarosa Dalla Costa and Selma James

Almor, Streathamite, yield and 6 others like this.
  19. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Yep, it's not like women working is something new - what was the proportion of female nurses in the early days of the NHS, around 100%? Biggest change since then is probably that around 50% of doctors are now also women.

Riklet, Almor, crossthebreeze and 4 others like this.
  20. Pickman's model

Not to mention that for the last 70 years there's been a welfare state as it's simply not true that all households could live on one person's wages

21. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

back in the day when you got married you couldn't be a nurse anymore:facepalm:

22. Pickman's model

You say you can't remember a report about how good the NHS is. You should consult a medico at your earliest convenience as your memory seems on the slide

oryx and dessiato like this.
  23. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

Where's the evidence that most elderly people in A&E need only 'modest' care? The main problem is the false division between health and social care, often affecting people with complex needs, and a massive and historical undervaluing and under investment in looking after people either at home or in residential care. Largely women's work, it's been demeaned as such. Society would collapse without the unpaid or underpaid caring work of women.

24. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

So enderbyeddie
    who are you going to blame for all the monumental shit that happened pre women's "equal rights"?

Hmm?

Celyn likes this.
  25. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

There are many angles from which one might approach responding to the OP's premise, but none fits the bill quite so well as a simple 'fuck off'.

26. MochaSoul

Uh hum!

Yeah, yeah...

For wars, bailing out corrupt banks and bribes of all sorts there seems to be a few of them trees.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    ddraig likes this.
  27. existentialist

existentialist Spartacus? No, never heard of him.

Yeah, but it's nice to build up to it with a bit of development, first. Makes it a bit more climactic, I find.

28. MochaSoul

I have a penchant for sadism too. :eek: :oops: :D

29. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

Was there really a time when *most* women were housewives?
    I know in the early 80s my parents were able to buy a house on one (non-graduate) wage, and my mum was indeed a stay at home parent until her youngest child went to school, while also doing some work from home, and then she went out to work.
    And my nan always worked (in a factory).
    And her mum always worked.
    I don't know about my great-great-grandmother but I'll assume she worked too.
    And my MIL worked.

30. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

My grandmother made bullets during the war. My mum was a nurse, when she did briefly give up work to raise two children she did an Open University degree. Housewives? Yeah, right.