DHFC Women's Team

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by YTC, Jun 6, 2019.

1. YTC

YTC Human Man

Joe.Co.UK will be making a series of films called 'Not here to take part' on the teams first season in pink and blue.

More info on the merger here: Dulwich Hamlet Announce New Women's Team - News - Dulwich Hamlet Football Club

Also pre-season announced!

Really can't stress how excited I am about this. Going to be quite the season and the first of many. Hope as many of you make it down to games as possible.

And WFC league games ARE covered in the Season Ticket.

Maggot, Poids, johnny clash and 10 others like this.
  2. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Absolutely fantastic! brilliant news and long overdue. :thumbs:

3. Taper

Taper Mark McGann

Really great development. They'll get a lot of support from fans I reckon.

4. editor

editor hiraethified

Brilliant news.

YTC likes this.
  5. YTC

YTC Human Man

Please Buzz if you can! :)

6. editor

editor hiraethified

Already working on it. Will publish something tomorrow.

YTC likes this.
  7. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Top work and a big well done to all involved in getting this sorted.

YTC likes this.
  8. YTC

YTC Human Man

Cheers!

9. editor

editor hiraethified

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    YTC likes this.
  10. YTC

YTC Human Man

bkbk, Nivag, blueheaven and 2 others like this.
  11. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

12. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

If you’re not a season ticket holder £4 seems a lot for the level...

13. editor

editor hiraethified

Really? Seems pretty reasonable to me given that it's taking place in a decent (ish) ground with proper facilities.

YTC, Poids, Cyclodunc and 2 others like this.
  14. Dulwich Mishi

I’m talking about the level of the football. I think it’s fair to say we will be one of the few clubs charging at this level. It may seem cheap compared to First Team games but in the women’s game it will be seen as very expensive. I would presume, at the very least, there will be a programme of sorts included in the price. Interested to know, based on your pricing criteria, which other leagues or clubs at any level, base admission prices on the standard of facilities.

15. editor

editor hiraethified

The real test will be if people show up. If they do, then it's priced right and the team gets to benefit from a useful income.

Nivag likes this.
  16. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

I confess I've never been to step five women's football, and after a short investigation I've found it very difficult to discover the pricing of games at this level. I think this is because a price is not generally listed on adverts for games because it's free to attend. This game towards the end of the season - at the step above - might confirm that supposition.

Also editor, I don't think that you believe that the correct price for something is what the market will pay. After all the market pays £700,000 for "luxury" flats in Brixton.

17. Taper

Taper Mark McGann

Sufficient to sensible concessions, I think charging a meaningful amount for entry is a positive thing to do and confers a level of seriousness on the new women's team. It will presumably help the club sustain and develop too.

18. Dulwich Mishi

I’m not too fussed, I’m going to watch them regardless, but for a Club that has built itself on an image of being community conscious & caring it doesn’t sit quite right with me that we will be one of the few charging at this level, it may seem cheap but compared to everyone else we will be the most expensive..and where one leads others will follow, pushing up prices everywhere.

19. Jamie Wyatt

Jamie Wyatt Well-Known Member

Chelsea Women only charged £6 for their home games last season with kids for free and yes I know they can afford to make it cheaper but it’s still the top level.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  20. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Unless it's completely free I'm not sure there's much to be gained by charging a price less than £4. You're lucky if you spend less than that having a swift pint in most pubs these days, and if a £2 concession is too much then £1 probably is too. I think there's also a perception among many people that free (or very cheap) events aren't worth attending, although personally I find that outlook a bit thick. I'm not sure what sort of attendances other clubs at the same level get, but we've got a captive audience of 500+ season ticket holders who won't have to pay for the league matches.

I've no idea what the playing standard is like in relation to a level of men's football, but people often claim many of our supporters aren't really watching the game at National/Isthmian League matches in which case they won't really notice the difference!

Taper and Noss like this.
  21. keith1

keith1 Well-Known Member

I have officiated on a number of matches for both AFC Wimbledon (at Carshalton) and Crystal Palace Ladies (now at Bromley but previously at the National Sports Centre), and, with matches being on Sunday afternoons have also been to watch a few games this season. All have been free to enter. The crowd has pretty much been friends and family of the players and a few groundhoppers.

It is difficult to compare standards between women's and men's football due to the differences in physicality, but women's football is often very skillful.

The pre-season games will give an indication of quality, especially the game against Crawley, who have a number of players experienced at a higher level and ran away with the league this season hardly dropping a point and reached the 4th round of the Womens FA Cup where they lost to Arsenal. Incidentally they charged adults £5 for admission to the game with Arsenal.

Pink Panther likes this.
  22. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

If the intention is to work toward some form of parity then you have to get into the practice of charging something. If the games are to be events with a wide draw with a good crowd and a well staffed bar this will be a cost to the club but it is worth it for the match day experience. otherwise it will just be a park game attended by friends and family.

GregDHFC, Pink Panther and Poids like this.
  23. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

If we want this women's team to be anything other than a gesture, then charging for entry is absolutely appropriate. £4 is a sensible sum, it's not so low as to be pointless imho.

Letting people in for free...it kind of comes across as patronizing and tbf that's the opposite of "not here to take part" as in the caption on the video. Rather obviously we're not gonna sell out at these games, at least not to start. We could use the opportunity to wing some freebies to schools, maybe get girls involved or interested in the game.

24. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Spicy Football....Spicy Football.....Spicy Football!!!

scousedom likes this.
  25. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Isn’t there some sort of historic precedent about the fallacy of assigning value only to those things that are transacted in the market? I wonder if it’s ironically relevant here in any way.

No matter. But I would ask... What will away fans say about us when they turn up and we are the only ones in the league charging? What will existing fans of the team, who (I assume) haven’t historically paid to watch their team and who (in all probability) won’t be DHFC season ticket holders say, upon being charged?

Dulwich Mishi and Pink Panther like this.
  26. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

I'd suggest most regular fans at that level are friends and relations. Presumably some player comps will be issued to sort that issue.

Champion Hill twice hosted a Women's F.A Cup semi final when I was a regular. I worked the turnstiles on one. It was the worst match I ever worked. It was two or three quid to get in but everyone was claiming they should be on the FA comp list etc and generally competing to be the most obnoxious person present. When a journalist, involved with a women's football magazine at the time, kicked off at us for not letting her friends in for free it got to the point where we threatened to walk out and get the game called off due to a lack of stewards. That calmed it down a bit. Hopefully those working these games will have a more enjoyable experience. Some player comps might be a good idea TBH.

Truth be told I suspect most people on a comp will head to the bar etc. If expected to pay they'll probably do the old pay to get in but not another penny routine.

27. Dulwich Mishi

Or just say they’re not there to watch the game, watch it from the bar for free then pop outside if they can be bothered for the second half.

28. Dulwich Mishi

Using that logic top flight professional football is pitched at just the right price as grounds are often packed... And surely the Club as a whole benefit from the income not an individual team?

29. Taper

Taper Mark McGann

I think we should look at this as the women’s team being part of the Dulwich Hamlet family. We don’t support the men’s team because they play exceptional football necessarily (although occasionally they do). We support them because they’re our local team and because of what they represent.

WillClunas likes this.
  30. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

Good points.