1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DHFC South London Beer Festival 24/25 June

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by AndyF, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

It's not about emotive...like 'heart and soul'....
    Everyone who know you knows this...
    I sincerely hope the weekend is a great success, and I am sure it will do ok...
    But there's nothing wrong, and never has been, with constructive criticism, so we can learn, if mistakes are made, for similar future events.

No more, no less.

AndyF likes this.
  2. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Stop going off topic AndyF.

Jules P, clog, darryl and 3 others like this.
  3. Dulwich Mishi

Just curious where's the Canopy Dulwich Hamlet one?

pompeydunc likes this.
  4. AndyF

AndyF DHFC Beer Aficionado

We can only get it based on volume as each batch is around 21 kegs. So we have to commit to that amount.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  5. clog

clog have that you c

:facepalm:

6. YTC

YTC Human Man

7. clog

clog have that you c

:D:p

YTC likes this.
  8. toby kempton

toby kempton Well-Known Member

Is there going to be first complimentry beer on offer for those going

9. AndyF

There will be tasters but to answer your question, no.

10. Dulwich Mishi

Just out of curiousity, not that I shall be partaking, what is a 'taster'?

11. AndyF

A taste of beer but only on cask or keg. Try before you buy.

12. Dulwich Mishi

Sorry, that much I realised...I meant 'quantity'? ;)

13. Dulwich Mishi

It's also one of my real 'Room 101' bugbears...real ale/craft beer types insisting on tasters, while a queue builds up behind them...now that would make a half-decent rant...'What Mishi doesn't like about pubs'.... ;)

14. AndyF

Fair point. Depends where you are and how busy the gaff is. Rule No.1 as we say at Green Man Festival "Don't be a dick"... ;)

darryl likes this.
  15. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

[​IMG]

AndyF likes this.
  16. AndyF

I've tapped seven casks so we'll start with:

Brixton Low Voltage SIPA
    Brockley Summer Ale
    Canopy Sunray Pale Ale
    Cronx Lemon Saison

Also one more beer from Bianca Road; Paradise IPA.

17. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Really enjoyed that. Thanks for all the hard work Andrew.

Some ideas for next time:
    Bring it all a bit closer together
    Sprinklers soaking customers ha ha. We need more of that.
    Bands or DJs
    Two blokes dressed as gorillas as opposed to one.

AndyF, darryl and Noss like this.
  18. Dulwich Mishi

Some people may not wish to quote themselves in public on here, or elsewhere, so I've decided to ask people to email me about this event.

Did you go? If so what was good bad, or indifferent?

How would you improve/refine it?

If you didn't go, why not? What would make you more likely to attend a similar event staged next year?

Please send me your comments, in confidence to me, whether with your real name or not, at therabblers@yahoo.co.uk & I will collate anything received as well as comments on here, for the organisers to see.

It goes without saying, many thanks to Chris, Andy & Co. for all of the effort put in...

Blitzwalker and AndyF like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I couldn't make it, but if people want to add DJs or bands to the bill (acoustic/folk/or whatever), I'd be happy to help.

AndyF and pompeydunc like this.
  20. clog

clog have that you c

I did go. I'm happy to put my comments here.

I enjoyed the range of beers on offer, the stack cups were good, despite them not being the DHFC ones.... It's a shame it wasn't better attended (this was Sunday).

My main gripe is pricing. £8/£5 to get in is very expensive as far as beer festivals go and then the price of the beer was £5 a pint, which isn't exactly cheap/beer festival prices.
    Why not have it as free to get in if the price for beer is going to be £5 a pint? That might encourage more people to go.

As an aside, stack cups with a deposit would be great for reducing matchday litter.

AndyF likes this.
  21. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

Went along on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Was a little disappointed with the numbers, although it did seem to pick up as the afternoon went on. Some good ales on offer. I'd agree with Fingers that perhaps it should have been a little closer together but this is nothing major. It was also nice to see people who we normally only see in the winter and remark how healthy we all look in the summer, once our winter pallor has worn off!

All in all, well done AndyF and his team for organising this event which will hopefully become an annual affair.

AndyF likes this.
  22. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

It was a good idea and we had fun on Sunday, but the major barrier was the entry fee. £8 takes the piss, £5 is still a huge barrier to entry, especially when the beers themselves, lovely as they are, aren't cheap. It's a shame, really, because a free/ much cheaper event could have been a bigger community event, attracted more people, got the neighbours in and built some bridges. Instead, Meadows thought they'd cash in.

Agree that the stalls would have been better closer together. Would also be good if you could buy thirds as you can at CAMRA festivals - nice to be able to sample as many of the wares as possible.

Otherwise, though, it was a nice, relaxed afternoon, especially once the sun finally emerged! Congrats to AndyF on getting it done and I hope he gets the support to make it bigger and better next year.

AndyF likes this.
  23. AndyF

Firstly thanks to everyone who came.

There are a few things I would change for next time based on feedback here, from the breweries and from people's comments on the day.

Fingers We did try and get things as close as possible but the logistics of the ground (power, outside bar) means we can't use all the room. On the plus side I've learnt more about the ground in the last week. I can only apologise for the sprinklers but we now know how to turn them off. Bands or DJs possibly in the future but if outside we would have to get a TEN and ensure our neighbours were ok (we did send them all a letter and free tickets). Two gorillas would come down to budget.

editor As above re bands or DJs but would come down to costs and budget.

clog Thanks for the comments on the Stack Cups and yes the plan is to have them on match days. If our branded ones ever come back from Glasto we'll see! On pricing we let the breweries set the price on the basis the range was £4-£5 per pint. Southey had at least one beer at £3.50, all our casks upstairs were £3.80 and Fourpure were charging £3 per 500ml can. They had to factor in their pitch fee plus staff costs into their pricing. All staff were paid at this event.

Blitzwalker Thanks for your feedback and kind words.

darryl We just about covered our costs on this. Pricing was down to us but we obviously wanted to make money for the club. However we will look at this again in our wash-up meeting this week. I did think about thirds but Stack Cup don't do them as a rule but it can be done on the cup.

Overall I thought it was a good event and more positives than negatives. We will certainly be working with the majority of the breweries in the future and we want to be better organised on matchdays with regard to beer. Instead of turning up, we will advertise and work closely with the breweries so that you all know what's on any given match.

We would also need more resources as in terms of putting this on it was just me, jessecalston and Chris.

Thanks again and if anyone wants to send me a PM please do so or respond to Dulwich Mishi and we will discuss your comments together.

Cheers

Andy

Noss, Jimbob73, clog and 4 others like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

FYI for the next time: I could certainly gets DJs for beer and I'm pretty sure I could get some bands on a similar kind of budget. I've got DJ decks and I'll probably have a PA system soon so will only need a cab fare covered.... :)

Noss, clog, pompeydunc and 3 others like this.
  25. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

AndyF Hi mate, slightly off topic but could you possibly DM me with the contact details for the Beer Taxi please? We're interested in getting him to a couple of the outdoor events we're doing at the Charlton & Woolwich Free Film Festival. Thanks - Steve

darryl likes this.