1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DHFC South London Beer Festival 24/25 June

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by AndyF, Feb 16, 2017.

1. AndyF

AndyF DHFC Beer Aficionado

Facebook Event page here:

dcdulwich and Jimbob73 like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. YTC

YTC Human Man

AndyF and editor like this.
  4. AndyF

5. YTC

YTC Human Man

6. AndyF

7. AndyF

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  8. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

It could just be me, but there seems a huge jump from £5 for the day in advance to £8 on the door.

Is it me or does eight quid seem a lot just to get into a beer festival? How does it compare to others?

I hasten to add it could be the norm, 'thankfully' it's over fifteen years since I 'enjoyed' these sort of events! ;)

9. AndyF

They vary a lot these days. Some charge a lot more but you get a number of beers. The reason why we did it was to encourage advance sales.

Ideally we don't want pay on the day as it's a hassle (need to deal with cash, employ more staff etc).

10. Dulwich Mishi

Fair enough, though-I would have thought-that people would much prefer just to turn up on the day, but the three quid difference would certainly put me off from making a decision on the day, if I was a local drinker who wanted something to do, almost 'off the cuff', if the weather was nice....

But then I tend to know more about how a football club runs, so will leave the bar & beer expertise to you... ;)

11. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

It's not the norm, it's well above average. I can only recall paying more than that for the Great British Beer Festival at Olympia, which is always packed and is a massive logistical operation to organise and stage.

Most CAMRA Festivals will be a fiver on the door at most, less if you're a CAMRA member, and often free for weekday daytime sessions. The recent SE London CAMRA festival at Charlton Park RUFC (that's the festival that was staged in our clubhouse the weekend after we were promoted in 2013) charged £2 admission and £1 for CAMRA members. Alright, so CAMRA festivals are staffed entirely by members working on a voluntary basis which is a significant reduction in overheads, but CAMRA also has to hire the venue which is a cost that presumably doesn't exist for a DHFC festival in our own ground.

I've seen other non-CAMRA events advertised that are very expensive but include a number of beers in the ticket price, but I've never been to any of these.

I got really pissed off at the Surrey CCC Beer Festival at The Oval last year when I only wanted one pint, but was told I could only have it served in a festival glass, which cost £2 and was non-returnable. (I'd brought my own glass from a previous year's festival but was told I couldn't have my drink served in it.) So effectively £5.80 for one pint. I don't run a bloody pub, I don't need any more pint glasses at home.

Ideally I don't want to have to pay online and print off a ticket in advance. That's a "hassle" for me. I'm not online at home, don't have modern gadgets like a smartphone or tablet etc., and often have to go out of my way to go online especially at weekends.

The £5 advance fee is actually £5.40 as there's a booking fee. For anyone who can only afford to have two or three beers anyway that's poor value. £8 on the day is ridiculous.

12. YTC

YTC Human Man

I guess don't come, then.

13. Pink Panther

I was intending to go, but I doubt I will now. Thanks.

14. YTC

YTC Human Man

I don't mean to be personally discouraging, it just seems like you've got the right hump about it. 'The Club' have nothing to do with pricing, it's a Meadows funded event. I've already argued it should just be a straight 5er OTD.

15. Dulwich Mishi

Absolutely shocking response....good job he doesn't know you're a Club Committee member! :mad:

16. Dulwich Mishi

AndyF and YTC like this.
  17. Dulwich Mishi

It may be a Meadows funded event...but it IS in the Club name...and bar takings indirectly fund what we get on the pitch.

18. YTC

YTC Human Man

Well I guess the cat's well and truly out of the bag now isn't it Mishi?

19. YTC

YTC Human Man

Sure, but the pricing has been set by them, like in all aspects of the club. Bit gutting for AndyF that he's put in so much hard work to make this happen and all he's getting is grief for something he has no say over. But thats just my view.

20. YTC

YTC Human Man

Also, the irony of you having a pop at me for 'shocking' responses is beyond parody :D

Dulwich Mishi and Scolly like this.
  21. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

Well, this is encouraging me to come along...

22. Pink Panther

I get the "right hump" whenever I feel I'm being charged an excessive amount for anything. It's not a case of whether or not I can "afford it", it's a case of whether or not I feel I'm getting value for money.

Prime example was the number of clubs jacking up their admission price from £10 to £12 last season. "It's only two quid" is probably the lazy logic of those taking this decision. It's 20% extra. Anyone had a 20% pay rise recently? Imagine if the price of a pint, price of a loaf of bread, petrol, bus/train fares, your rent/mortgage etc. also went up by 20% in one go. If everyone just coughs up and pays the extra without comment it becomes acceptable practice, and the thin end of the wedge.

Well, I'm reluctant not to support the event when Andy's clearly worked so hard over a period of months to bring it together but let's get these prices into perspective: on a normal matchday you can turn up at the ground, pay a tenner to get in, buy a pretty decent range of beers, drink all afternoon - and there's a pretty good standard football match thrown in too! This is only two quid less, wider range of beers, but no football! I'm struggling to understand why it's necessary to charge people to enter a venue that sells beer anyway. If it's a licencing issue fair enough. As you say, even a fiver on the day would probably be a low enough round figure to be acceptable to most people and would still represent a significant contribution to covering overheads, and would probably result in a larger attendance and greater overall takings/sales.

Ludo, clog, Dulwich Mishi and 2 others like this.
  23. YTC

YTC Human Man

Pink Panther - we're in agreement here on the most part.

AndyF, Dulwich Mishi and Pink Panther like this.
  24. Dulwich Mishi

To be fair, anyone who knows you SHOULD know who you are anyway. Personally speaking I won't directly 'out' you as apparently that's not the etiquette on here...;)

25. Dulwich Mishi

It's actually not me 'having a pop' as you put it. It's me having a personal opinion. I genuinely thought that's how message boards worked...

26. Latahs

Latahs Well-Known Member

I cant believe Jack Payne's on here telling people not to go to the Beer festival. smh....

pompeydunc, Cyclodunc, AndyF and 3 others like this.
  27. clog

clog have that you c

It never ceases to amaze me how Hamlet fans can turn anything into a row.

28. AndyF

I go away for two hours...

I have put my heart and soul into this. Worked way more hours than I should and been out every night this week promoting for gratis.

I want you all to come and if you contact me before the day you won't pay anymore. One time only offer. We have some amazing beers and a dead smart cup for starters.

Yes there's things we could and should have done but if you never put anything on, you'll never do anything. We have had to front the cups, programme and stock. Plus we require stewards and security due to our Premises Licence. In the old days, no one would have given a toss about your safety. We do. We care. Also we pay our staff properly.

People people, We got to get over before we go under...

Jimbob73 and Cyclodunc like this.
  29. Dulwich Mishi

To be fair, not that I want to start an argument...but some of your posts in the past....;)

30. AndyF

Here's the beer (info):

Outside

Fourpure - Indy Lager, Southern Latitude, Juicebox
    Southey - Deserter IPA, Deserter Football Saison (exclusives) plus two others
    Villages - Pontoon, Rodeo, Whistle
    Old Kent Rd. - Heygate, Astoria, Special
    London Beer Factory - Beyond The Pale, Chelsea Blonde, Paxton IPA

Inside

Brixton - Effra Ale (Cask), Atlantic APA (Cask), Low Voltage SIPA (Cask)
    Brockley - Summer Ale (Cask), Red (Cask)
    Canopy - Sunray (Cask), Love Walks (Cask), Brockwell IPA (Bottles)
    Cronx - Standard (Cask), Kotchin (Cask), Lemon Saison (Cask)
    Bianca Road - Lager, American Pale Ale, Session IPA, Red Rye IPA, Blood Orange IPA (all Cans)
    Gipsy Hill - Beatnik, Southpaw, Hepcat (all Bottles)

We also have as part of our regular stock:

Beavertown - Gamma Ray, Neck Oil, 8 Ball, Black Betty, Smog Rocket (all Cans)
    Fourpure - Session IPA, American Pale, Pils, Flatiron (all Cans)

I'm meeting Brick later. Orbit have dropped out.

Jimbob73, Noss, clog and 1 other person like this.