Detroit Techno Purists Thread

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by killer b, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

its not really festival material tbh... in a small venue it would be great though
    home listening is good too

2. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

I'm only really bothered about seeing anything in small venues these days.

dialectician likes this.
  3. ska invita

strictly stadiums?

4. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

I've never been to a stadium gig I don't think.

5. ska invita

sorry misread your post as saying Im NOT really bothered about seeing anything in small venues these days. :facepalm: got confused!

6. dialectician

dialectician Well-Known Member

Apart from some deep dark atmospheric techno in Japan. Really want to go labyrinth. or berghain's huge room.

7. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

That's where they come from though, Jazz/Funk influences like Herbie Hancock, to more Esoteric Jazz like Myles Davis, Sun Ra etc. I do see what you are saying but the bottom line is that original Techno was really Machine made music with a lot of soul, that's where UR are coming from and the distinction between early Detroit Techno and Chicago/New York House is very blurred.

Edited to add: Gerald Mitchell the keyboard player in UR who was behind a lot of the now UR Classics such as "Jupiter Jazz" clearly has his roots in Jazz, you can tell by the chords he puts together which are basically built on the traditional Jazz Chord Progressions much like a lot of Deep House is ala Theo Parrish, Moodymann etc.

bmd likes this.
  8. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Wish I'd seen them in 1992, with Rob Hood on MC duties. See them here from 5.07:

dialectician likes this.
  9. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Love this picture of Jeff Mills (right) DJing as The Wizard.

[​IMG]

10. Orang Utan

Fez909 likes this.
  11. Spandex

Four of the first wave Detroit producers have got together as Four313 to put a record out, play some clubs and generally relive their youth. Here's a preview (can't find any whole tracks on youtube): Four313

There's Blake Baxter - yep, know him. Eddie 'Flashin' Fowlkes - yep, know him. Santonio Echols - yep, know him. And Thomas Barnett - y... wait, who?

I had to google who Thomas Barnett was and it turns out that, of course, I did know who he was: he co-wrote Nude Photo with Derrick May, he had a track on the 313 Detroit comp and one on the True People comp. But for some reason his name meant nothing to me - is he well known and I just hadn't noticed or is he underrated? I checked him out some more and - fuck me - his album Frequencies From The Abyss is immense:

Thomas Barnett - Do Bionics Crystalize?

BristolEcho likes this.
  12. Orang Utan

I knew about him, but I'm a big fan. I think he also played the piano part on May's Strings Of Life.
    I don't think he put out a lot of stuff

13. Spandex

That's a pretty fucking big claim to fame :cool:

14. Orang Utan

i think there's some beef between barnett and may - may is known for not crediting people who've co-produced some of his records

BristolEcho likes this.
  15. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Jeff Mills co-hosting the B.Traits show on Radio 1 right now for the next 3 hours :thumbs:

danski and Badgers like this.
  16. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

17. ska invita

A little game: can you tell if a Detroit tune is from Detroit or not? Or has it been made somewhere else in the world (usually Europe)? I used to think I could tell, but that was stupid.

This is one of my favourite new Detroit tunes Ive come across recently.... place of origin in the spoiler if you fancy a guess

Polish producer (now living in Germany)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Badgers and danski like this.
  18. Orang Utan

I was discussing the demise of the NME on Twitter and we were talking about how laughably bad it's coverage of house and techno, and a friend pointed out that they called Derrick May 'The King Of The 303' while pointing out that he never used one. Is this true? I can't think of any of his tunes having acid lines on them, but he may have subtly used the 303 in a production or two and I didn't notice.
    Fez909 Spandex dialectician killer b

Spandex likes this.
  19. Spandex

I can't think of any of his own productions where he uses a 303. In this interview from 1990 he talks equipment a fair bit and there's no mention of a 303: Techno Rhythim (MT Nov 90)

This is the equipment list from the article:

Ensoniq Mirage Sampler
    Fostex 260 4-track
    Hill DX500 Power Amp
    Korg Poly 800 Synthesiser
    Kawai K3 Synthesiser
    Korg SQD1 Sequencer (2)
    Roland TR808 Drum Machine
    Roland TR909 Drum Machine
    Roland TR727 Drum Machine
    Roland R8 Drum Machine
    Roland MSQ700 Sequencer
    Roland MC500 Sequencer
    TOA Monitors
    Yamaha DX100 Synthesiser
    Yamaha DX21 Synthesiser

but if you get into remixes he did, then yeah, there's some 303: Annette - Dream 17 (Derrick May remix) (1988)

Not sure that quite qualifies him as "The King of The 303" considering the competition :D

20. Orang Utan

This is not for the purists, but I wasn't sure where else to post it, but I found out today that the first release on NWA's Ruthless Records was this gem:

danski likes this.
  21. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

22. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!