Detroit Techno Purists Thread

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by killer b, Oct 24, 2014.

1. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

I'm really digging Rolando's debut on UR atm, but it doesn't seem to be on youtube. :mad:

2. killer b

there's loads that isn't - no Condor To Mallorca either

3. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

this has sounded both classic and current since it's release (92 ish ? ) , still does (Jupiter Jazz)

new Jeff Mills "Emerging Crystal Universe" sounding top notch from the clips as well

4. killer b

I literally was just playing that. :D

cantsin likes this.
  5. killer b

bmd likes this.
  6. bmd

bmd you left me standing here

7. bmd

Fez909 likes this.
  8. bmd

I remember when I first heard that, I was working at Warp Records at the time and all those labels were being repressed. We had a bloke who came in every Wednesday with that week's US imports. There were a few people who would buy every Strictly Rhythm release so we'd get five of whatever was out that week from them and make the order up to 10 to make it worth his while coming.

He handed me that and I put it on, I'd never heard of him and I had skipped through tunes all day and was a bit jaded by the time he got there. I remember putting Sexuality on and it just fucking blew me away. I took every copy he had. Him and Eddie Fowlkes were my favourites at that time. He had a really different sound, hard and relentless.

Orang Utan and stethoscope like this.
  9. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

bmd likes this.
  10. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

11. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

12. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

When did you work at Warp? I could have bought records off you!

13. bmd

91 - 92

Orang Utan likes this.
  14. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

15. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

16. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

17. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

18. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

danski likes this.
  19. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

20. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

21. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

22. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

Will make this one the last one - I was a huge collector of Detroit Techno between 93 and 96 and have 100's of records from that era and earlier. Not played them for a few years as there is far too much new exciting music coming from the UK over the past few years. I tend to look forward these days not back and prefer much slower stuff these days. However going through my collection on Discogs and selecting the above makes me realise how lucky I am to have such an amazing collection of records :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  23. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

24. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

bmd likes this.
  25. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

26. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

bmd likes this.
  27. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

This is worth a look, only short

danski likes this.
  28. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

29. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Detroit techno is just about my favorite style of music. And since music is a big part of my life, I guess that puts it just behind my kids and girlfriend in terms of things I love.

I first came across it on Laurent Garnier's 1994 Xmix album, with a flawlessly mixed run of Galaxy 2 Galaxy's Journey of the Dragons into Rhythm is Rhythm's Icon into Kenny Larkin's Prelude totally blowing me away.

The first time I actually heard it out was at Tribal Gathering '95 when I happened to wander into the tent where Robert Hood was playing. I stayed put, dancing about as hard as I've ever danced through Plastikman and Jeff Mill's sets eventually emerging at dawn with a dazed/exhilarated look on my face that my friends still laugh about. That night totally changed what clubs I went to - for the next few years nothing could compare to Detroit techno. There's still nothing better in life than dancing to quality techno off my head on pills with a huge grin on my face.

bi0boy, mod, stethoscope and 3 others like this.
  30. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Sean Deason's Matrix label is an often overlooked treasure trove of quality stuff. This is probably my favourite (even though Convextion is from Texas):

Convextion - Miranda