Detectorists

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Mrs Miggins, Oct 14, 2014.

1. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Just binged on this series so far, bloody marvellous.

2. belboid

Brilliant conclusion to the series. Hope it's back for a third series sometime.

"I'm 32" :)

telbert, fucthest8 and neonwilderness like this.
  3. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

There's a christmas special on the 23rd. :)

ringo and neonwilderness like this.
  4. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I'm just about to watch the last couple of episodes :cool:

5. fucthest8

fucthest8 The rucksack of bollocks that is work.

"What you got?"
    "Ringpull. '82. Something fruity. Could be Quattro ... could be ... Lilt."

Genius. :D

Mrs Miggins, Supine, buscador and 2 others like this.
  6. fucthest8

I know I'm bit hungover but the last episode made me cry. :D Just brilliant, the whole thing.

Libertad likes this.
  7. belboid

Not enough, we need more!

Libertad likes this.
  8. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

I watched the last two episodes yesterday. The penultimate one had me laughing and giggling out loud, including when I was talking to my friend about it later.

The last one had me feeling a bit emotional and raised a smile rather than a giggle.

I love, love, love it, and I hope Mackenzie Crook keeps writing and directing more of these these, but anything really.

A lot of it was the acting as well, though.

That bit where everyone in the background to the conversation drank the lemonade has me giggling now :D

fucthest8 likes this.
  9. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Watched the last episode last night. Realised I missed E5 though - on the iplayer dl now :)

10. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

I do hope he's not pressured into writing series 3 before (if) it's ready

I do think that there's possibly one more series left to write and still keep up the beautiful writing standard - but after that . . . probably best to finish it there

11. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

I got some grit in my eye at the end.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  12. belboid

13. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Ringo - something seemed odd to me in the last episode. Where they new about the plane and cut a strip of grass away. Do detectorists then dig as shown or should it be the job of archaeologists? It just seemed a bit wrong to me. I know it's not exactly time team or anything!

14. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

15. High Voltage

Well, it could be nice if Mr Crook took a full year off from writing this (they're going to Africa after all) and we get the final wrap up series in 2017

Giving time for Lance and Kate to get to know each other AND Andy and Becky to have had their adventure then putting them all back together to see how the dynamic has changed

Guineveretoo, fucthest8 and Libertad like this.
  16. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Yes, they were just treasure hunting, no different to the night hawks they moan about other than that night hawks steal for themselves and don't report where they found things. In reality they wouldn't have gone to the huge expense of hiring a digger and stripping the top soil off just to use a detector to dig straight down to anything giving a reading. Diggers are only used as a muscle/time saver to strip the stratigraphic layers which cover the layers archaeologists are interested in recording and removing by hand.

The decision on whether a formal archaeological investigation should be carried out comes through the planning office, so unless a planning application is made they won't know about it. It's then that the county archaeologist would look at the details and decide whether the developer has to have test pits/field walking/some other initial investigation carried out first. In this case the landowner can dig up the plane as they see fit because its not a known archaeological site with a preservation order already on it. For archaeologists the treasure is the knowledge gained from the site, so it should have been dug properly and recorded. Detectorists just dig to find the treasure and leave the rest, often destroying other material in the process and destroying the archaeological context.

Something older like a previously unknown Bronze Age barrow should be reported to the county archaeology so that it can be recorded and protected, but its not enforced. If you drive through Wessex after the crops have been harvested you can still make out crop marks outlining barrows and the like which have been ploughed out over many years; the land is worth more to farmers for crops than an old lump they have to plough around every year that brings in no revenue. There are not the resources to police that to any great degree unless its a site of known importance.

If its private land the owner can give permission for metal detection, but any gold or silver high value item then has to be reported to the coroner and is subject to the Treasure Trove laws. Treasure Trove is defined as gold and silver buried/hidden with the intention of being recovered later and becomes the property of the Crown. Gold found in burials or that might have been dropped or lost in antiquity is not covered. The find made at the end of the episode would have to be taken the the Coroner, who very likely would see the proceeds of its sale (if sold) split between the finder and land owner.

17. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I knew you'd give a good answer :thumbs:

18. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I knew you'd give a good answer :thumbs:

19. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

That would be a very good idea.

And it would also mean I won't miss it as I'll be back in the UK by then!

20. Mrs Miggins

Me too!
    I actually sat forward in my seat going
    no! no! surely he can't find it! surely! Oh wow (cue grit in eye and stupid grin)

ringo likes this.
  21. fucthest8

Oh no, the parts that got me were about Lance's daughter ... and particularly Sheila's musings about " ... imagining what they'd look like ..." and so on. Fantastic writing, a whole world hidden behind what she was actually saying.

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Guineveretoo, Mrs Miggins and ringo like this.
  22. fucthest8

Here's hoping he takes your advice.

23. High Voltage

He's on the phone to me pretty much every day asking for ideas 'n' stuff - I mean, I don't mind giving him a few pointers, but I'll be damned if I'm going to write it for him

24. belboid

great idea of yours to get him to make Simon & Garfunkel's real names Peters & Lee tho.

telbert, Mrs Miggins and Guineveretoo like this.
  25. belboid

Third copy of both series' bought as Christmas pressie...

Guineveretoo likes this.
  26. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

McKenzie Crook was on Robert Elms London radio in the week.
    A slightly awkward interview I thought. Diana Riggs daughter, Rachel Stirling is so much like her.:thumbs:

27. Mrs Miggins

Well I never! I didn't know that.

28. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

Detectorists Christmas Special tonight
    BBC 4 10.00 PM.

SpookyFrank, ebonics, ringo and 8 others like this.
  29. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Good shout, cheers telbert. :thumbs:

Guineveretoo and telbert like this.
  30. dolly's gal

dolly's gal killing things

the Christmas special was shite, wasn't it :(

Guineveretoo likes this.