1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Derrick Jensen

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by ska invita, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Catching some minor arguing/bad mouthing/retorting about Derrick Jensen, but not enough to get the core complaint. I've never read anything by him. Anyone know what issues people have with him?
    Derrick says he's perpetually being attacked by "Anarchist Fundamentalists".
  2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

The core complaint is the same as many others - that the group he formed with a couple of other people (Deep Green Resistance) has policy on women-only spaces that some consider transphobic. Jensen and DGR are utterly irrelevant politically to all but a tiny isolated scene (only ever relating to itself but claiming to speak for the earth) that is, thankfully, receding far into the distance.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  3. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

His name rings a bell, but not in a positive way. Can't recall why though. Wiki isn't helping either. My fading memory associates him with some of the more unpleasant fellow travellers of EF! back in the day. But that's an unreliable recollection tbh.

Never heard of DGR before. Seems (according to Wikipedia at least) even EF! and Zerzan are criticizing them.

In short...yuk.
  4. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

5. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I think I've read one book by him. He tends to co-write with Lierre Keith. I've read some of her work, and found that large parts were poorly researched, made leaps of logic you could drive a Mack truck through, all in a seriously condescending tone.
  6. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

At some point Jensen's books (mostly the first one A Language Older Than Words) were doing the rounds among the green anarchist/deep ecology/anti-civ/primitivist types and were quite liked, although they fell by the wayside as did much of those kind of politics.

As BA said, he's faded into irrelevance as time as passed, and his setting up of DGR was on pretty much every level shit and with shit politics. I'd be surprised if he had any political clout at all really. There's something similar here (in the UK) called The Dark Mountain Project iirc, although they're more of a bunch of writers and artists.
    crossthebreeze likes this.
  7. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I emailed the DMP some years ago, when I was doing more Art stuff. They never emailed back :D
    LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  8. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Email? You walked right in to their trap. :)
    LynnDoyleCooper and chilango like this.
  9. ska invita

The anti-trans statements he and others in DGR have made are really crude (link DLR posted)... pretty unbelievable

thanks all...can count on urban to know the dirt ;)
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. LynnDoyleCooper

Think they did have a stall at the London Anarchist Bookfair one (or more?) years. Can't imagine they're still existing in any way in the UK any more.

Oh... Deep Green Resistance UK - Deep Green Resistance UK
  11. ska invita

I wasn't expecting the armed struggle element to all this...see DJs call for supporters to arm themselves. Even the UK chapter has an aspect of this culture
  12. LynnDoyleCooper

DGR UK branch, armed with catapults and they're not afraid to use them.

It's all a bit 12 Monkeys really.
    NoXion, crossthebreeze and ska invita like this.
  13. ska invita

Seems they've become a prepper doomsday cult waiting for the collapse of civilisation as brought on by climate change. With a vicious anti-trans streak.
  14. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

IIRR they were all about encouraging armed struggle and serious direct action but not actually taking part themselves - actually comparing it to Sinn Fein/IRA.
    Also wrote that taking out power etc of towns and cities was encouraged - even if this meant lives lost because hospitals etc affected but super-rich weren't.
    They are really anti-vegan ex-vegans with a grass-fed beef obsession.
    Their plans for post-doomsday only make sense if a proportion of the population dies - though they argue that more of the population will die from climate change.
    And their dealings trans issue was criticised from even people that might be expected to agree with it because the terms they used was so crude and it wasn't only about setting up trans-exclusive women/female only space but also expecting all men in their organisation to be in male only space (with rigid ideas about privilege and oppression) so meaning that no trans person could actually be a member of a seemingly unisex group.
    So basically many shit political positions all rolled into one.
    NoXion and Fozzie Bear like this.
  15. ska invita

Fucking hell
    Fozzie Bear likes this.