Demonstration sports

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by Silva, Aug 27, 2008.

1. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

What cricket has in its favour, imo, is it's as much a developing world sport as it is first world - none of that Eventing / rowing / cycling / etc, etc, etc demarkation.

But maybe it has too many ,what are effectively, dead spots; south America, the Far East, mainland Europe. Can't deny it still is pretty much a game of empire.

2. steveo87

steveo87 Procrastinating for....a while

There'll only be three or four teams who are likely to win it, similar to Basball/softball....

3. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

I don't think so - not with 20/20.

4. E.J.

E.J. Away from U75

I reckon Rugby Sevens will definetly be an demonstration sport. Because the current president of the IOC Jacques Rogge was a former rugby player for the Belgian team.

Lisarocket - i was a little bit iffy with the idea of Darts or arras (arrows) being an Olympic demo sport. But after a lot of thinking whilst watching the Beijing Olympiad then yeah why not!! :D:cool:

Felixthecat - Beach football or Futsal (the indoor 6 a side version - it's one of the fastest team participation sports in the world) would be imo the better replacement to the current Olympic football tournament.

The only way that the current footie format in the olympics will be kept;if FIFA get rid of the three overage players that a team can have in the Under 23. Or as the recent court case victory by Barca, Werder Bremen and Schalke over the releasing of key players for the Olympic, hopefully there should be a change of age i.e. an U21 competition with no overage players.

I'm quite ok with the idea of 20/20 cricket as an olympic demo sport - there is certainly scope that this format of the game could be popular in e.g. North America (Canada & the US). By the way Cricket was an olympic sport up until the 2nd Olympiad in Paris 1900. There's an interesting story about it on the Cricinfo website - The Ignorant Olympians

5. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

Squash - yes, there's a far better case for its inclusion than with tennis.
    Golf - fuck off my TV set with your stupid clothes and ridiculously inflated purses, you prats. :mad:
    Karate - why ever not if judo and tae kwon do are included?
    Roller Sports - what exactly is covered by this? Agree that Rollerball would be :cool:.
    Sevens - I think rugby now has enough of a following to justify its inclusion.

6. Silva

Silva This went well.

If the FIRS are involved, a lot of things - from speed skating, road skiing, both hockey codes and even (heaven forbid) skateboarding. The problem is the lack of a definitive sport that uses skates: most of them are more established (or copied from) popular winter sports. There's Rink Hockey, but only five or six countries have top teams, and it already failed to convince at Barcelona.

As for Rollerball, there's Rolling Derby, but that would be like adding pro-wrestling to the Olympics :D