Demonstration sports

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by Silva, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Silva

Silva This went well.

So, there are five events pipelined for demonstration in time for the 2016 Olympics - Squash, Golf, Karate, Roller Sports and Sevens. Squash and Karate failed to get the two-thirds of votes required to be included in 2012, and will fight for a spot with Baseball and softball (which strikes me as a bit weird - why two distinct sports that look and play almost in the same way?).

Squash seems a fair contender, but it's terrible on TV - I remember the state channels trying to broadcast tournaments around here, and all I saw were two guys with racquets swinging at air (the cameras were also rubbish, 'to). Roller sports are a bit underground (most speed skaters eventually follow to the Winter Olympic variations), but I'd love to see Rollerball in the Olympics. Gold Medal match with no time limit, penalties or substitutions and all that :D Karate would lead to too many Hollywood film jokes, and there's enough martial arts and fighting events as it is. Sevens look interesting - rugby is a huge sport, and unlike football, the UK team wouldn't be a problem - just field the British Lions (sans Ireland) and be done with it. Golf is a bit... I don't know. It's not one of those sports I see as Olympic, such as chess.

Opinions. Any of those five should be included, or any others?

2. ScallyWag II

ScallyWag II New Member

Sevens definitely would be good imo. Roller sports too. Golf not, like tennis, the olympics is not going to be the pinnacle of a golfer's career, so on that basis, i'd like to see both excluded. Can't see a reason for either squash or karate being excluded.

3. Lisarocket

Lisarocket In bed with me dinner

I think rugby will be included. I won't watch it but i'm sure lots of people will.

Bring on Olympic darts :cool:

4. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

The more sports the better. As many as the host city can reasonably manage to include on the programme

5. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Rugby, up the cycling races and drop synchronized diving and swimming.

6. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Agreed - if they want to bring the pro's in, but if it was only open to amateurs then I think golf should be included. There are some really good amateurs around (many of whom will turn pro sooner or later) and it would be the sort of event where the winner really could come from anywhere. The best reason why golf should be included is that, more than any other sport, it fulfils the Olympic ideals of sportsmanship and fair play - and you don't need judges to decide the winner either* I'm sure it would be very popular with spectators too.

*personally I'd get rid of all the sports that are decided by judges - gymnastics, diving, boxing, the lot of 'em!

7. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

Squash - no
    Golf - god no
    Karate - yes
    Roller Sports - stick em in the X Olympics
    Sevens - yes

8. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Sevens definitely.
    Squash probably.
    Karate maybe.
    Roller Sports probably not
    Golf - dear god NO!:eek::eek::eek:

I've wondered about cricket - it would have to be the 20/20 format to fit in I suppose. Ok, so thats not 'real' cricket, but I reckon it would get a lot of viewers and who knows, maybe get people interested in the game who otherwise wouldn't have bothered. Its a bloody site more exciting that baseball/softball.:rolleyes:

9. Dirty Martini

Dirty Martini gets what he cant want

If badminton and table tennis are in, then squash should be too. Get rid of tennis, no one gives a toss. Definitely no golf, sevens or 20/20 cricket.

Bring back tug-o-war and the standing jump, and introduce 'brawling' for the London Games (venue: pubs).

10. felixthecat

I think team GB is guaranteed a gold there.

Probably the silver and bronze too :D

11. Dirty Martini

Team GBH :cool:

12. felixthecat

Would we have a womens event? What about pairs brawling, as opposed to a team or individual effort? What about weight divisions?

Oh and synchronised brawling ftw:cool:

13. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Where's cricket nowadays - I take it it's not a demonstration sport in 2012 if Lords is being used for Archery?

Having said that, it might make fielding more interesting . . .

14. Dirty Martini

It could be done using the same categories as rowing -- single, pairs, etc., right up to the Eights, plus cox (i.e. the pint-sized loudmouth who starts it all off but doesn't actually throw a punch).

15. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

What exactly makes a sport an Olympic sport or not? How about Darts, Test Match cricket, Formula One and Snooker as Olympic sports?

16. nick h.

nick h. Eat

Victoria Pendleton wants more men's track cycling events to have female versions. She says there's a rumour there may be another event in 2012 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/cycling/7582672.stm

But why is this just a rumour? Isn't the addition of a new event decided in the open years in advance? Can new events still be added in time for 2012?

17. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

There are only 10 official members of the international cricket thing, the rest are all affiliates, and as there needs to be 75 countries playing a sport for it to be included in the olympics, I'm not sure cricket meets the criteria

18. Silva

Silva This went well.

Being played competitively in a fair number of IOC members (75 spread over 4 continents, I think) and having a worldwide federation that adheres to the Olympic Charter for being recognized by the IOC. To be part of the Olympic Games, they need to be voted in the Olympic congress sessions, having to achieve two-thirds of votes.

19. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Its surprising that synchronised team swimming is practised competitively in 75 countries!. These are bureaucratic hurdles which a sport must fulfil to be in the Olympics. Some people on this thread have been saying things like 'doesn't feel like an Olympic sport'. But feelings don't really come into it.

20. London_Calling

I suppose the thing is you get 4 girls splashing around in a borrowed pool and you can call yourself a national synchronised swimming federation. With team sports like cricket, you need serious infrastructure and leagues and shit. And people to show you how to play.

21. felixthecat

How does baseball make the criteria and cricket doesn't? Beach volleyball for goodness sake? :confused:

This olympic mallarkey is unfathomable.

22. Silva

Silva This went well.

As it is a women's only sport, the required number of countries decreases to 50, I think. FINA is to blame, so is the IOC - they give the later a number of slots, and they fill them as they please. And as they can't probably add more swimming events, they stick that in. I'd rather have more track cycling than that (even if the water boys always get the better-looking stage :mad:), and I'm to see what they'll find to fill the Soft/Baseball spots in 2012.

However, being played "competitively" doesn't mean that much. An organized tournament between two teams with a cheap glass vase with an inscription as a trophy is probably close enough to count.

23. JTG

ICC full members:

England & Wales
    Australia
    New Zealand
    India
    Bangladesh
    Pakistan
    Sri Lanka
    South Africa
    Zimbabwe
    West Indies (multiple countries - Jamaica, T&T, Barbados, Antigua & Barbuda, St Kitts & Nevis, Guyana and some others I've probably missed out)

Associate members:
    Argentina
    Belgium
    Bermuda
    Botswana
    Canada
    Cayman Islands
    Denmark
    Fiji
    France
    Germany
    Gibraltar
    Guernsey
    Hong Kong
    Ireland
    Israel
    Italy
    Japan
    Jersey
    Kenya
    Kuwait
    Malaysia
    Namibia
    Nepal
    Netherlands
    Nigeria
    PNG
    Scotland
    Singapore
    Tanzania
    Thailand
    Uganda
    UAE
    USA
    Zambia

ICC Affiliates
    Afghanistan
    Austria
    Bahamas
    Bahrain
    Belize
    Bhutan
    Brazil
    Brunei
    Bulgaria
    Cameroon
    Chile
    China
    Cook Islands
    Costa Rica
    Croatia
    Cuba
    Cyprus
    Czech Rep
    Estonia
    Falkland Islands
    Finland
    Gambia
    Ghana
    Greece
    Indonesia
    Isle of Man
    Iran
    South Korea
    Lesotho
    Luxembourg
    Malawi
    Maldives
    Malta
    Mexico
    Morocco
    Mozambique
    Norway
    Oman
    Panama
    Peru
    Philippines
    Portugal
    Rwanda
    Qatar
    Samoa
    Saudi Arabia
    Sierra Leone
    Spain
    Suriname
    St Helena
    Swaziland
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tonga
    Turkey
    Turks & Caicos
    Vanuatu

I think that's plenty enough. Can haz Olympic status plz?

24. London_Calling

You'd think 20/20 would be right up the IOC's alley*

* assuming 20/20 is 'cricket' . . .

25. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

26. JTG

Yet affiliates do count.

27. felixthecat

28. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

No idea, I'm just guessing

If they do count, then cricket can be an olympic sport, I assumed they don't count as assume only the 10 full members make decisions at the ICC unlike volley ball where I assume all members are equal

29. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

Beach volley ball comes under the same federation as normal volley ball

Beach football was only codified in 1992, which would explain its absence, but as it is organised by FIFA, with all its members, it can be an olympic sport

30. felixthecat

Yay - be better than the proper stuff I reckon!

*starts a campaign to get rid of proper football and introduce the beach version into the Olympics*:cool: