Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

demise of shops (particularly record shops)

hash tag

chillin
I saw a Birmingham one was listed for closurse, but they do have that Loft thing. Also, I think one in South Wales.
I have an hours treck into the West End for my nearest record shop :(

hash tag

chillin
Here you go....Bury for closure yet Ipswich and Colchester remain :confused:
"The outlets affected are in Leeds, Reading, Plymouth, the Bullring in Birmingham, Worcester, Bury St Edmunds, Grimsby and Nuneaton.

The future of the following stores is currently unknown as HMV seeks to strike a deal with landlords: Bristol Cribbs, Edinburgh Ocean Terminal, Glasgow Braehead, Merryhill and Sheffield Meadowhall. If unsuccessful, they could shut."

hash tag

chillin
Its used only I think. It's towards the docks, 10 minutes ish from the station. I came away with a few CDs. It's great for a browse but not the best. If I were passing through I would, but there again I make a point of always visiting a towns record shop of I'm nearby.

stavros

Its used only I think. It's towards the docks, 10 minutes ish from the station. I came away with a few CDs. It's great for a browse but not the best. If I were passing through I would, but there again I make a point of always visiting a towns record shop of I'm nearby.
I'm not the only one then.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

I'm working in Brighton at the moment and pop into resident records often. It has a great selection of new lps, including ones from the US and Europe that it's not always easy to come by, but. . . . . . .

Holy shit, the prices. Far higher than central London prices, so much so I recently bought two records direct from the Spanish record label rather than resident because even after postage I saved a fiver.

Today I bought two LPS from a shop in Camden by post which again saved me £4.66 even after postage.

I'd love to support local shops but when I can buy them far cheaper direct from the supplier or from another shop then they are making it really hard.

Mind you Brighton's record prices are mostly absolutely ridiculous. . .even in charity shops.

hash tag

chillin
There was Floyd and Who, no Zeppelin.
i bought Megadeath, Queensryche, Rick Walkman, Groundhogs, Paramour and a couple of other bits who escape me now (I'm at work).

hash tag

chillin
If in Brighton I always make a beeline for the Wax Factor. Great selection of books, films, cds and vinyl + lovely staff

ATOMIC SUPLEX

If in Brighton I always make a beeline for the Wax Factor. Great selection of books, films, cds and vinyl + lovely staff
Crazy record prices though. Really overpriced . . . well for what I'm looking for anyway. Generally about double what you would expect to pay.
I think only rare kind had regularly reasonable prices, but a very slow stock turnaround.