Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

demise of shops (particularly record shops)

hash tag

chillin
As far as shops go, living near Northcote Road in Clapham, I reckon I am quite lucky. But there are no record shops nearby. I really don't want to traipse up o Oxford Street or Berwick Street for the latest CD. My other choices are HMV's all the way out to Kingston or Guildford as there is no where for new CD's in the likes of Clapham, Putney, Brixton Croydon ETc.

Am I the only one suffering in this way? Can someone please open a decent CD shop somewhere n Sarf London; I promise to uy a few CD's a month!!

Sirena

Don't monkey with the buzzsaw
You've got Supertone on Acre Lane and you've got three kiosk shops under the railway bridge in Brixton. And you've got a stall (belonging to Mr Williams (?) of Jama Music) in Tooting Broadway Market.

So you've got loads of record shops. Mind you, they're all reggae shops.....

Failing that, you gotta go up Soho and you'll find loads still.....:)

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
As far as shops go, living near Northcote Road in Clapham, I reckon I am quite lucky. But there are no record shops nearby. I really don't want to traipse up o Oxford Street or Berwick Street for the latest CD. My other choices are HMV's all the way out to Kingston or Guildford as there is no where for new CD's in the likes of Clapham, Putney, Brixton Croydon ETc.

Am I the only one suffering in this way? Can someone please open a decent CD shop somewhere n Sarf London; I promise to uy a few CD's a month!!
The real bastard, my friend, is that in the '80s, and even into the '90s, there were plenty of record shops:

Raven Records on Northcote Rd,
Citicenta Records on St. Johns' Rd,
Reading's Records on Lavender Hill (was also a printed music and instrument shop in the basement)
Dub Vendor at the bottom of Lavender Hill,
Woolworth,
Arding & Hobbs's record dept, and
Twist & Shout on Battersea High St.

What killed off most of 'em wasn't lack of customers, it was squeezed margins on what they sold, plus the area being gentrified and rents going through the roof. Eventually, all that was left was Woolworth and Dub Vendor, and after Woolworth closed, Dub Vendor held on for as long as they could, but ended up pulling everything back to their Ladbroke Grove shop (where they held the lease, rather than rented).

MellySingsDoom

Decimated by the shrapnel of his rhetoric
ViolentPanda - correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't there an Our Price on St Johns Road as well? (This was in the very early 90's). There was also IS Records on Northcote Road too, if memory serves.

TruXta

tired

The Book and Record Bar opened in West Norwood just last year. Not been yet.

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
ViolentPanda - correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't there an Our Price on St Johns Road as well? (This was in the very early 90's). There was also IS Records on Northcote Road too, if memory serves.
Our Price was where CitiCenta Records originally was. They pretty much moved in and used the same fixtures and fittings until the next corporate re-brand. Mind you, that was in the days when Our Price employees actually knew about music and records. Eventually, they became as crap as any other chain who just trained people to work the tills, rather than know the product.

MellySingsDoom

Our Price was where CitiCenta Records originally was. They pretty much moved in and used the same fixtures and fittings until the next corporate re-brand. Mind you, that was in the days when Our Price employees actually knew about music and records. Eventually, they became as crap as any other chain who just trained people to work the tills, rather than know the product.
Ah, thanks for that - I didn't realise that CitiCenta was there originally. I used to buy gig tickets for the Grand in there, and you're right, the staff certainly knew their onions then.

ruffneck23

front left
aw (((( our price)))) i have very fond memories of working at the kings road and kingston branches as well as a few odd days in acton , chiswick and hounslow arond 1990

MellySingsDoom

aw (((( our price)))) i have very fond memories of working at the kings road and kingston branches as well as a few odd days in acton , chiswick and hounslow arond 1990
I remember the Our Price in Croydon on North End well in the 80's and early 90's - they had a fair selection of punk/metal/"indie" etc material in there (I bought the Sisters Of Mercy "This Corrosion" 12-inch single there in '87 :oops:), and one of the staff who worked in there must have been into Psychic TV, as they stocked loads of PTV records in there (lots of live stuff etc). Our Price was also the first place where I spotted Swans records.

hash tag

chillin
When I were younger, my first ever single came from a little independent record shop tucked under a bridge in Addiscombe Rd, Croydon. I also remember the likes of Cloakes in both Croydon and Streatham. Alas they all succumbed to the larger chains. I am still resisiting from buying anything on line, whatwith the tax avoidance, corporate greed Etc. If I came make it, I will hit the indie's in Berwick Street or failing that HMV's, but all in all, it's not a good palce at the moment.
There is nothing like walking into a record store and having a browse, grapping a handfull of interesting looking stuff and chatting to the staff...alas, times change and this old fogey is not keping up with them.

ringo

Macaroni cheese controller
Mind you, that was in the days when Our Price employees actually knew about music and records.
I awlays liked Our Price for that, a cut above the other chains in those days. My brother's mate worked in our local one, a massive Bowie fan, then went on to play bass for Suede.

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
I awlays liked Our Price for that, a cut above the other chains in those days. My brother's mate worked in our local one, a massive Bowie fan, then went on to play bass for Suede.
I liked being able to go into Our Price and say "I like (insert band name), what else do you reckon will float my boat?", because they'd always come up with something fairly outside the box (I got recommended a Leonard Cohen "best of" after buying the first Bad Seeds album, for example).
The other chains, if you asked something like that, most of them would just waft a hand toward the shelves and mutter "look under 'indie' " or some such.

danny la rouge

Raddled old poet
I liked being able to go into Our Price and say "I like (insert band name), what else do you reckon will float my boat?", because they'd always come up with something fairly outside the box (I got recommended a Leonard Cohen "best of" after buying the first Bad Seeds album, for example).
The other chains, if you asked something like that, most of them would just waft a hand toward the shelves and mutter "look under 'indie' " or some such.
That's the mark of a good record shop, and holds true for my local shop, Europa Music.

Casual Observer

binoculars
Streatham, probably like everywhere else, was well served for records shops back in the 70s. Cloakes (R Cloake and Son?) has already been mentioned. We also had Octopus Records further up the High Road with another shop with a name I can't remember at the top of Sternhold Avenue. A few newsagents used to sell records and sometimes fanzines in those days too, as well as Smiths and Woolworths. Our Price came to Streatham in the mid 80s I think.

SarfLondoner

KenDoddsDadsDogsDead.
The real bastard, my friend, is that in the '80s, and even into the '90s, there were plenty of record shops:

Reading's Records on Lavender Hill (was also a printed music and instrument shop in the basement)
Woolworth,

What killed off most of 'em wasn't lack of customers, it was squeezed margins on what they sold, plus the area being gentrified and rents going through the roof. Eventually, all that was left was Woolworth and Dub Vendor, and after Woolworth closed, Dub Vendor held on for as long as they could, but ended up pulling everything back to their Ladbroke Grove shop (where they held the lease, rather than rented).
Dub vendor now share a shop in soho its quite small but still has varied range in reggae,r&b and other bits,,,,BM Music Soho, 25 D`Arblay St, London, W1F8EJ
ph: 07956 755 619

hash tag

chillin
I remember not so long ago by a random CD I liked the cover of and the greasy long haired sales asst. said it was his second fave album and wh. He then went on to suggest lots more stuff; just how it should be!

hash tag

chillin
I guess part of the point of this thread is that I always tried to avoid HMV and now it seems like there is little other choice. I see that they now only have their "original" store in Oxford St by Bond St tube...tis a sad world...

oryx

Sitting on the bock of the day

Woolworth,

Interesting post......I was going to say I remembered a good CD shop near where Northcote & Battersea Rise intersect. I think that was Raven. Also remember Dub Vendor & Our Price. Reading's Records must have been before my time (lived in Battersea 1984 - 2007).

I don't like buying online much and buy my CDs (I mainly play music in the car) from the wonderful Rebound in York or from Rise in Bristol (go to both when seeing friends & family).

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
Interesting post......I was going to say I remembered a good CD shop near where Northcote & Battersea Rise intersect. I think that was Raven.
Yep, literally the first road back from where Northcote and Battersea Rise met.

Also remember Dub Vendor & Our Price. Reading's Records must have been before my time (lived in Battersea 1984 - 2007).
Yeah, IIRC Reading's closed the year Bauhuas split (yes, I do date some things by musical landmarks! :oops: ), so '83.[/quote]

RoyReed

Must fly!
Can't remember the name of it, but there used to be a good record shop at the Clapham Common end of Clapham High Street - about three doors down from the post office IIRC.

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
Either Oddbins or the place next door. I can't remember which.
Pretty sure it was Oddbins, because they "recycled" some of the behind-the-counter vinyl storage for holding their more expensive wines, and the spirits. :(
The record shop had been there quite a while, too, because I'm pretty sure I bought Penetration's "Don't Dictate" 7-inch from there in '77.

Farmer Giles

Goodness Records (Tooting Broadway)
Bluebird Records (Streatham High Road)
Dancefloor Records (Norbury)
Musictown Records (Upper Tooting Road)

All sorely missed.