DELTA and general career progression in TEFL

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by miss direct, Mar 7, 2014.

1. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I've been teaching English in Turkey for the last five years and in the last year have started thinking about my future. Not sure if it'll be in Turkey or elsewhere, but I'd like to be in a position where I'd be able to move back to the UK and get a job there if I want/need to.

I've been thinking about getting into teacher training, or material development, but am not too sure where to start. I gave a workshop at my university's training week and I've also trained and work as a Cambridge speaking examiner.

It seems like the next logical step is a DELTA. I'm just not sure about it. Does anyone have this qualification and can share some information about the reality of doing it? I teach 22 hours a week but have three months off in the summer. I believe I can do quite a bit of the Delta online, though the same place I did my CELTA.

Any other suggestions about where I can go next? It seems like to teach in the UK I would need to go to university again, which really isn't an option.

2. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

yes unfortunatley most teaching related work in the Uk requires a PGCE these days.
    If anyone has any info/advice etc about material development, I would also be interested to hear though. I've come to the realisation that due to lack of confidence & anxiety I'm never likely to overcome, delivering & presenting to a class is something I'm never going to be that good at, but I know I can research and prepare really good lesson materials - is there a job market for this?

3. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

You sure it's not an option going back to uni? Funding possibilities here. It's a year full time...

Greebo likes this.
  4. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

You're facing a pretty common dilemma for teflers who've been in the game for a while... It's an excellent gig but it's definitely got a shelf life imo (unless you get into management or something at the BC or a big chain). Ime it's pretty tough making a living wage in the UK just teaching efl. You can make OK money working summer schools (more if you do residential - though babysitting sex and booze crazed euro-teens for 3 months a year would drive me batshit murderous mad). Another avenue could be teaching ESOL in a college of FE - money's much better and it's more secure. There's also teaching IELTs pre-sessional courses at universities - money can be really good (I was getting £40 ph at City University 10 years ago) but again it's seasonal to a certain degree. Having said that, lots of universities now have dedicated ESOL depts as foreign students bring in most money, so there might be permanent posts around.

If I was in your shoes, I'd google the names of people at universities/FE colleges who run ESOL/IELTs departments, tailor your CV to fit (loads of experience teaching grads/teens/university prep blah de blah) add a cover letter and email it out to all the institutions in the area you want to work. To cast your net as wide as poss, I'd do the same with a rejigged CV/cover letter and punt it to all the language schools too.

I've got the DELTA and it was excellent to do, really improved my practice and kept me in a cushy job at the BC for a few years. Find out what avenues the DELTA will open though (if any) before doing it - it's pretty intense and you don't want to waste your time.

5. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

I'm currently doing my Dip. I started a thread about it. You might not find the answers to your questions there, but it might give you an insight.

Greebo and miss direct like this.
  6. Hellsbells

In my experience full time ESOL jobs in the UK are rare these days. The majority are hourly paid or sessional & can also involve travelling to different sites over the course of a day.

Why is further study not an option? With your experience, you'd probably be put straight onto the 2nd year of a PGCE & could complete the 2nd year part time. I'm pretty sure there are options to do it online aswell, if you already have teaching work. Maybe you could even do it in Turkey if it's online.

7. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I could maybe do it online but can't afford to come back to the UK and study. I don't really know what I want to do. Being a teacher in the UK doesn't look as good as it does here :)

8. Hellsbells

If I could afford it, then I'm sure you could. Part time is only 1 day a week & I think some places may even do 1 evening a week. Plus 'some' employers may pay for your course...
    But yeah, teaching in the UK is probably very different to over there.

Greebo likes this.
  9. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

I am loving doing my course. It has allowed me to re-evaluate my teaching and teacher knowledge. However it takes at least double the time that they say it will. The amount of reading is significantly more than the 12 hours a week that was advised.

Have you thought about doing the TKT to keep and freshen your teaching?

miss direct and Greebo like this.
  10. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

If you wanted to do a similar thing but in the UK could you not do TESOL for teach ESL? Id imagine there's a pretty good demand for that in the UK and I know that when my mum was a principle the ESL classes and TESOL training was one of their biggest areas.

Im actually doing a distance learning PGCE at the moment, and it seems a really good way of doing it if you've been in teaching for a while (like me, 6ish years now)

edit: Im sure if you can do a PGCE distance learning you could do tesol distance learning.

11. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I did TKT back in 2007 dessiato. Similar to CELTA but more of an introductory course, isn't it?

12. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

Yeah TKT is CELTA-lite. I know a few folk who've done the Dip, it's worked for them. As Sweet FA says tho, it pays to consider what you'll do afterwards. I opted against and did a PGCE instead, back when they paid you to do it! Hated secondary, was out of teaching altogether after a couple of years

miss direct and Greebo like this.
  13. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

Oooooh guess what? I've only gone and WON a place on module one of the Delta :) So looks like I'll be having a go at it.

Greebo likes this.
  14. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Well done you! That should buy you a bit of time to work out if this is what you want to do, not to mention a bit more time to find the money for it. :)

miss direct likes this.
  15. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

Thank you Greebo. It would have cost me almost $700 so I am really saving a lot of money :) (I'm not American but the course I won is based in New York).

Greebo likes this.
  16. Hellsbells

you always leave bits of important information out. So you have to go to New York now?!

17. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

No, it's online and ill take the exam here.

Greebo likes this.
  18. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

I'm still just doing the odd bit of reading by myself (more before, then slacked off), but looking for interesting videos and online materials that would help and give me ideas. Any thoughts? There's a new ebook out from The Round ESL collective on kindle, which might be worth checking out. I'm going to get it, anyway, the sample seems good. How to pass Delta.

My current situation is a bit unsure, as I still don't have that much experience, I only completed my CELTA a bit under 2 1/2 years ago, but I've been teaching mostly full time with a bit of part time since then, including quite intense summer schools. I feel ready to develop my teaching and for some new challenges, especially ones which will help me career-wise as I do really enjoy teaching English. I'm still only 24 though, so no rush I guess?

I'm planning on probably moving city next year, so will be angling for a job that will help with dip/delta preparation and that cares about professional development and training. Even if they don't pay (and then lock you in for several years, which I'd be wary about agreeing to, although it probably looks good) I think having the resources and support would be invaluable.

I don't feel ready to move back to the UK and commit to a PGCE and I think I don't have enough experience and theoretical knowledge to go into a part-time MA yet, so the dip/delta seemed like a good compromise that will keep my brain ticking and help me work on my study skills and motivation which are a bit lacking. Not sure what to do still though!! :confused: I guess part time work and part time course would be the best way...

miss direct likes this.
  19. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I'm just bumping this post as I'm now on module three (did one, waiting for results, haven't done two yet). Is there anyone else around doing the Delta?

20. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Look into it after my MA is finished. Just writing the dissertation now.

Did you do it by distance? That's only way I'll be able to do two of the modules as they aren't available in Korea as yet. The second one will have to be done at a testing centre somewhere.

How hard has it been? I loved the CELTA, and I've really enjoyed the MA TEFL, even if it is research based, can't wait to get back into practical methodology.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    miss direct likes this.
  21. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I started doing it distance but found it wasn't for me and then enrolled in a face to face programme in my city.

I can't say it's hard intellecutally, but it's demanding and particular in the way Cambridge wants things done. You have to stick to their guidelines or you won't get points. It's really made a difference in my teaching though, especially in terms of pronunication.

Dandred likes this.
  22. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Yea, I heard it was very heavily based in phonology. Isn't one of the concluding parts of one of the modules a written exam? That would see me finished as my handwriting is terrible and my spelling is atrocious.

23. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

As for career progression, as mentioned in your OP, how easy is it to get a uni job there? I'm enjoying the first month of my two and a half paid winter vacation, same in the summer.

24. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I wouldn't say there is that much phonology, but you do need to learn the script and be able to transcibe. I thought I'd never be able to do it but I forced myself the weekend before the exam.

Yes, there's a 3 hour exam (I did it last month)...they don't mark for handwriting and spelling only counts in some parts.

A uni job in Turkey? Easyish as there are x million so called universities but a lot of them are rubbish.

Where do you work?

25. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

I work for Sosa University, Healthcare provider - Search | Medical Korea (I lied about being a Catholic before I got the job) :D

I only teach 9 hours a week, and they are all credited courses. Best job I've ever had. Teaching nurses and doctors in ESP, and general conversation to the other students.

miss direct likes this.
  26. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

Bumping this now I'm part way through an intensive module two course (and trying to keep my head above water)....

27. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Where are you doing the course and how is it? It is six weeks?

28. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

In Athens and it's eight weeks.

Dandred likes this.
  29. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

It's tiring and stressful, but manageable.

Dandred likes this.
  30. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Has anyone worked full-time and done DELTA at the same time? I am doing IH's new DELTA preparation course this year, before doing the real thing in 2019/2020. I'll be doing DELTA in the morning and teaching in the evening and I know it will be tough.

My plan is do the entire reading list this year, getting me ahead of the game for the real thing. How much difference will that make? Is reading the real killer, or is it just everything?

Riklet and Threshers_Flail like this.