Deep House

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Moronik, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I think that Norwegian stuff is quite different to deep house.

Inspector Norse is too cheesy Italo; Skatebard too Moroder; Terje's Another Station mix is too banging (have you heard it on a big system at fucked o'clock? It's pretty massive, with an awsome drop when the pianos kick in at the 6 minute mark); and I Feel Space is basically a trance tune (in a good way).

It's more influenced by European dance music than US dance music; it's not as subtle as deep house; and while some of it is 'zone out at 6am' music, a lot of it is 'dance around with a big smile on your face' music :)

Orang Utan likes this.
  2. beryl_

beryl_ New Member

Thanks for posting this. Wicked deep bassline and proper house vocal!

3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

4. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I like House fm but I'm no longer able to get it on my radio :-(

5. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

At least once :rolleyes:

6. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Good work, Pogo Junior! If you can get the response time down to under a year, you're in with a chance of the job!

billy_bob likes this.
  7. Spandex

I’ve been digging Nail Tolliday lately.

He started out as part of the DiY collective in the early 90s and put out loads of deep house stuff under various aliases, but mostly as Nail. I always loved this one off his Big D’s Lounge album: A Good Bra

In 2000 he hooked up with Simon Mills and formed Bent, whose laid back electronica was quite successful – I remember them being interviewed by Simon Anstel on Pop World. Success led to over indulgence and he ended up in rehab, which could have been the end of his career. But in 2013 one of his old Nail tracks was licenced for a Fabric mix CD, which led to renewed interest in his 90s productions, a reissue of some of his tracks and him starting producing again. And he seems to have picked up where he left off in the mid 90s – there’s been a flood of releases since that put most modern deep house to shame.

This is off his EP (album?) Nite Music from 2015: Coff Splutta

He’s got a record label going, 89:Ghost, which is putting out some great stuff, some old, some new. This came out last year: Logic Systems - Ariel

So, thumbs up for Nail :thumbs:

Fez909, ska invita and nogojones like this.
  8. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

DIY

Digs and Woosh

Seems they cant be bettered, according to the u-turd comments

9. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

He did some great stuff under the pseudonym 'Jack Lagoon'.

Spandex likes this.
  10. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Digs can now be found playing out as Grace Sands. Still got the good tunes :)

hipipol likes this.
  11. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Some tunes I've liked in the past few years, seeing as this thread is mostly old stuff

Spandex likes this.
  12. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

If you like the Nottingham DiY / Smokescreen vibe this is a treasure trove of recordings from the parties :D

MediaFire

Spandex and hipipol like this.
  13. Spandex

Not heard that name before. The only track I can find online is the recently reissued Lookin At U - a percussion and messed up vocal thing that's unmistakably his. I see he used that name on his Velocet label - I got this 12" by him on that label when it came out: Themis - The Tills Guts

Good stuff :thumbs:

14. Spandex

Nice selection :)

I really like the Domineco Rosa and Mick Welch tracks. Got any more like that?

Fez909 likes this.
  15. Spandex

Nice one. When there are more hours in the day I look forward to digging through those.

16. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I'm sure I looked on Yt recently & couldn't find the Jack Lagoon stuff. I vaguely remember chatting to him about how much I liked it.

Spandex likes this.
  17. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

:)

Check out the comp that the Mick Welch came from...every track a winner!

Various - Chromophore

Also, not quite the same, but I'm liking these as well:

Spandex likes this.
  18. Spandex

Thank you :)

I like them all, but that comp is great. I've just listened to it and Elevate by S. Moreira is a first listen highlight :cool:

Fez909 likes this.
  19. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Just had a quick skim through the label that's comps on on Discogs and it's all tasty. Well worth checking :thumbs: