Deep House

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Moronik, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

I don't get it. Can anyone explain why they like it?

Also if there are any Deep House gems out there, please share.

2. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

Not really listened to any for years, but I used to be vaguely into it at one time. Mostly dull as fuck, but theres some gems in there, as with anything. I'll dig some out in a while (they'll all be 10+ years old mind...)

3. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Pretty much always enjoyed 95 North stuff. But yeah, can be as dull as fuck.

4. souljacker

souljacker Those tapas loving FUCKS

Some of the Defected in the House sessions are good. Kevin Saunderson's one from last year especially so.

I've always found deep house a tricky one to categorize. Its just house with less piano in my opinion.

5. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

for me it always made sense in the mix

not sure what is going on these days with it but mid to late nineties/early 2000 there was some good stuff knocking around, helped by a decent smoke machine/strobe combination and the less alcohol the better.

Jeff Robinson likes this.
  6. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

here's a couple i quite like:

this sounds like it's cropped out of a longer mix, but it's the only copy i can find on the tubes:

8fatfat8 - rise up & walk

BRS - lovin' me (dubtribe soundsystem remix)

7. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

It's great for driving round the M25 at 2am.

8. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Fez909 likes this.
  9. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

found his later stuff less interesting, but the three boulevard EPs st germain released on F com are all great.

ska invita and danski like this.
  10. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

It's much preferable to R&B :D

gentlegreen likes this.
  11. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

12. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

i like it as music to 'zone out' to on the dancefloor. No big build ups, heavy lead riffs, rewinds etc just subtle, musical, melodic, pulsating, hyponotic grooves. At its best it's mesomizing and uplifting and it's worst it's flat and boring.

nogojones, Apathy and Fez909 like this.
  13. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

ska invita likes this.
  14. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

It makes perfect sense if you've been up all night, your exhausted but still want to move. You're in a field , the sun is rising.....

It's kind of like minimal before that existed. Love some of the dubby stripped stuff, perfect for those late mornings.

beryl_, tufty79 and Fez909 like this.
  15. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

^ Exactly this :cool:

Like all the other oldies on this forum my knowledge of deep house is from the 90s. I suspect that it's used to describe something quite different today.

There was quite a scene in the midlands in the 90s that I got into when I lived in Sheffield. They were proper cool free parties, with no acid tekno is sight. I loved loads of stuff on DiY, but can't find links to post for some reason. Some of the early releases on Toko were pretty good:

Klarky Cat - Gumbo

nogojones and Jeff Robinson like this.
  16. Notorious J.I.M

Notorious J.I.M Well-Known Member

It's very much a feeling that has to be experienced but dancing at dawn on the seafront, a hillside in the south downs near Brighton or in fields in the Midlands to crews like Positive Sounds, DiY, Smokescreen etc is when I really got into deep house. It's the spiritual vocals combined with grooving basslines and uplifting keys that just make sense in the right setting with the right people. It seems to be big again with the kids who were into dubstep / garage / funky a few years ago. Anyway here are a few good (imo) deep house records.

Jeff Robinson and Fez909 like this.
  17. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Nice one Jim! Davina is one of my all time favourites, along with some of those I posted on the thread ska linked to.

Perfect. This is why I like it. Thread answered! Might as well post some more tunes while I'm here, eh? :)

tufty79 played the original of this in the fishco on Friday which I'd never heard before. The remix is great. *EDIT* This is the wrong mix. I meant to post the Brooks Dub Instrumental mix. It's not on YouTube though so I'll leave this here. Imagine fewer vocals parts and it's pretty much the same :cool: Or go here if you really want to hear it.

And I can't avoid posting some Moodymann on these threads

Soundstream has been one of my favourite producers in the last few years, but he doesn't release a lot

And this is a nice piece of repetitive, bassy deepness

I doubt any of these will change your mind on deep house, but I class them all as absolute gems.

Jeff Robinson likes this.
  18. Spandex

Faze Action - In the Trees

beryl_ and jusali like this.
  19. Spandex

Francois K - Time and Space

20. Spandex

Justin Harris - Morning Fanfare

21. Spandex

And the granddaddy of deep house, from 1976...

Cloud One - Atmosphere Strutt

danski likes this.
  22. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Just stumbled across this. Had to share!

23. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

Some of you may be needing this by now

24. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Red Light - Rhythm Formula (which is 20 years old so fair to say I'm not up with this stuff)

beryl_ likes this.
  25. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

51 Days - Paper Moon

26. Orang Utan

Blaze - Moonwalk

27. Orang Utan

Storm Queen - Looks Right Through

28. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

You can't have a thread called that without this:

29. Orang Utan

Even stuff like this is, broadly, deep house, though that depends what you mean by house as it's a far cry from the likes of Blaze:

Todd Terje - Inspector Norse

Skatebard - Vuelo

Lindstrom - Another Station (Todd Terje mix)

Lindstrom - I Feel Space

30. Apathy

Apathy Roll us yer cap Grandad!!

MURK

nogojones likes this.