Decent Pub in Northcote Road, Clapham

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by blueAsbestos, Oct 10, 2005.

1. blueAsbestos

blueAsbestos space harrier

Have been living here for a fair while but yet to find anywhere decent to drink. Northcoate road is great, still not totally overtaken by all bar ones giraffes etc. Not too expensive to rent, actually cheaper than the two seperate flatshares self an beloved had in Brixton and Stockwell but the bars are full of people talking loudly about their salaries. any Urbanites know of anywhere decent to possibly adopt as a local? The wonderful Prince Albert is a bit of a commute and I have now lost my immunity to Coldharbour Lane and am staring to find it a bit, well, scary.

2. stroober

stroober yonder

There is one off northcote road called 'the goose' or something like that

3. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

There aren't any.

4. stroober

stroober yonder

actually there is one at the end opposite clap junc, and a wee bit up the road to the left....cannae remenber the name...old man type pub

5. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Northcote Road is shite - full of wankers and rugby tops. But that's Clapham for you.

There was pub I went to round there The Duck that used to be okay, but then it was given a makeover to include a stone pizza oven. Might still be okay.

6. ViolentPanda

The Windsor Castle?

7. ViolentPanda

The pubs have always been shite round there, even before the place got over-run by Jemimas.
    Back in the early 1980s I used to schlep down to Battersea high street, because at least you could get a decent pint of guest beer (an ale or sometimes a good Pilsner) at "the Original Woodman" rather than the Bass or (much as I loved a pint of Special) Youngs that was on offer at most of the pubs on and off Northcote Rd.

8. stroober

stroober yonder

The Duck thats the fucker! knew it was poultry based

9. blueAsbestos

blueAsbestos space harrier

went to Bable for "lunch". Refused to serve anyone at the bar. Had to sit down and wait ten minutes for them to provide table service. Pint of stella, can I pay for it now ?, don't expect a tip.

10. citydreams

citydreams on the road again

I used to drink the top end of St John's Hill. I say drink, it was more like swim. Might be worth having a wander up, past the boozer, past the hydro (why does a pub have a jacuzzi?), past further past the poncey lounge bar and further still utill the last pub on the block. It used to be called The Mess. Order a round of sambuuca and the bar staff had to join in :D Lock-ins involved paying a tenner and drinking what you liked. They had to close it down when it got too popular, but it's probably worth a look.

Or if you can't be arsed, the pub on the corner by the train station is supposed to have the longest bar in England.

11. ViolentPanda

Which makes it even more of a pity that the Falcon is such a fucking hole! :p

12. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

When I used to have regional union meetings at CPSA (now PCS) on the corner, we used to go to the Windsor Castle. God knows why.

13. editor

editor hiraethified

Great to see a pub re-open even if it has a daft 'botanical feel'