1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Decent premium pocketable cameras

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by kazza007, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM.

1. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

Hello urbanites
    I'm looking again for a half Decent pocketable camera. I'm a holiday photographer and learner, mainly point and shoot or sometimes venturing into semi manual. I've always wanted to learn, but get lazy.
    The last few trips I've ditched my panny gx7 (which I got to replace a dslr) and used my Nexus 6p phone, which took excellent pics
    Though tempted to stick with that, I want to give a proper camera a go to learn

Happy with second hand, and I had an s90 about ten years ago.

So thinking of an s120 for a pocketable premium. I know I'll have to forgo a vf, but any other options?

T I A

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

For me there's only one pocketable premium compact: the Ricoh GR, but the earlier (i.e. cheaper) versions of the Sony RX100 are excellent too.

kazza007 likes this.
  3. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

I could sell my gx7 to get a Ricoh gr. Is it still decent to later models given it's age? I don't really want to fork out extra for later models which get quite pricey for an on/off hobbyist, but could sell my gx7 for a gr.
    I've thought about richoh gr before, but Don't know if fixed lens an issue...like if I want to zoom in a bit from a distant landscape shot. I don't really do portrait...just holiday stuff... though maybe this type of thing will get me using it more in different situations.
    Definitely seems to fit pocket and premium

4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

We bought a new camera last year. This one: Travel Camera | DMC-TZ100EB | Panasonic UK & Ireland

It bridges the capability gap between the low zoom-range compacts and the more bulky "superzoom" cameras which sacrifice aperture size for a massive zoom range. It's got all the manual controls you'd find on an SLR, with a focus ring and clicky wheel. Takes fantastic photos and the autofocus is very quick and smart. Put it in auto mode and it points and shoots with aplomb. Dive into the menus and you can do all sorts of fancy stuff like timelapse or long exposure. Charges with micro USB, which is very convenient :)

No idea if it's in your budget.

kazza007 likes this.
  5. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

i got an Panasonic LX100 recently and absolutely love it.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Great camera but it's not exactly pocketable though, is it?

7. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

I had one of the tz series when I got into it ten years and remember it being great. I think I'm looking at something smaller and cheaper second hand. Think I may go for the gr

8. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

trouser pocket no, coat pocket just about, but yeah, its not small.

kazza007 and editor like this.
  9. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

I'm looking for Jean pocket as I rarely wear trousers