Death of Harry Dunn

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by likesfish, Oct 5, 2019.

1. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

2. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Still, that trade deal should be a breeze with this special relationship.

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  3. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

It's being reported that CCTV footage shows her leaving the base and driving on the wrong side of the road.
    I really hope she does the decent thing and comes back to the UK to face justice.

4. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Leave her kids and go to jail?

5. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Thing is, even is prosecuted in the UK it would go as careless driving and she’d most likely get a suspended sentence.

However you have to wonder what kind of lesson she is teaching her kids by running away like she has.

6. 2hats

2hats

That the spouse's of spies are also licensed to kill?

7. 2hats

2hats

Washington Post staff photographer:

fishfinger and Pickman's model like this.
  8. Bahnhof Strasse

In which case Harry Dunn's parents should sue the living fuck out of the cunt.

ruffneck23 likes this.
  9. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 front left

crowdfunder anyone ?

10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

shouldn't trump be hauled in front of some tribunal for revealing secret information?

William of Walworth likes this.
  11. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

Can’t be arsed to google but there is as an incident in Pakistan a couple of years back where a US employee killed people whilst driving leathered - the septics paid out millions in compo. Though Pakistan is probably an ally worth paying off for the US - the U.K. less so

12. Wilf

Wilf Dances like a Christian

Suppose the problem would be who to sue. The driver has been granted immunity, so that looks like a no go. Would they have to go for the US Military/spook bosses for the decision to grant that immunity? Though this looks more hopeful:

13. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Can see them paying off the parents to try and hush things down a bit.

Not sure how much they’d welcome a nice protest outside the gates of the base, letting them know we expect a bit of respect from our guests.

likesfish likes this.
  14. Bahnhof Strasse

She has immunity from prosecution in the UK.

She has no immunity from anything in the US. If it can be shown she killed the lad, she could be sued, in the US.

15. Bahnhof Strasse

Did they not pay to get him out of custody/the country though? Or am I mis-remembering that?

16. Wilf

But aren't there severe limits on what Americans can be prosecuted for in (their) courts for acts committed abroad? Have a feeling I've read that somewhere.

17. Bahnhof Strasse

IANAL, but I think there is a difference between prosecuting a crime and suing someone.

Wilf likes this.
  18. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Not sure, about that but grabbing extraterritorial jurisdiction is not uncommon. See the Alien Tort Statute as an example that has benefitted non-US citizens.

Wilf likes this.
  19. Wilf

Anyway, it certainly looks like suing is just about the only option. And what so sickening is that if that plays out it still traps the family into a process, taking forever to get to the point where they can just grieve. :(

Bahnhof Strasse and equationgirl like this.
  20. not-bono-ever

Ah yes, he was in the nick and was released after blood money paid. And he wasn’t pissed just shooty wit the locals

21. Bahnhof Strasse

Yeah, from what they've said they'd settle for an apology from the woman over a cup of tea.

Wilf likes this.
  22. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Lot of British people with diplomatic immunity in the US who can drive. Just a thought.

Part 2 and likesfish like this.
  23. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

They're probably on the right.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  24. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

BBC reports her being 'devastated' by Harry's death, but a) obviously not as devastated as his parents or b) not so devastated that she will hand herself over to British authorities. She just wants to apologise to his parents.

I'm sure an apology is in order but as well as, not instead of, justice for what she did.

Teen's death 'devastated' US diplomat's wife

William of Walworth likes this.
  25. Bahnhof Strasse

Being turned in to a freak show. That incompetent fool Dominic Raab has come out and stated that she no longer has immunity cos she’s now in the US. Oddly enough Raab has never won Mastermind.

existentialist and equationgirl like this.
  26. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Yeah, I think his argument was bullshit, although apparently the US has agreed the issue of immunity has become irrelevant...

27. Bahnhof Strasse

Of course, immunity only exists in the country a diplomat is posted to.

Shitty behaviour on her part, I really don’t think she would have been jailed in the UK, she would still have had her immunity had she stayed, but she’s just done a massive ‘fuck you’ to his mum and dad. Proper scummy behaviour.

28. not-bono-ever

she will not come back voluntarily, no chance. the US will not send her back as a matter of principle- they facilitated her quick evac anyway- she probably had no say in the matter.The US would expect anyone who shites on their patch to be done - see makharadze (though that has backstory) - but has no intention of returning the favour.

29. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Is it possible they hastily got her out because her bloke is a spook and there were potential security issues tied up in this somehow? Although in doing so they moved it from a local paper story to a national scandal which won’t have helped keep things quiet.

30. Bahnhof Strasse

Seems his parents met Trump in the White House yesterday, he was gracious and sympathetic and all that. But he had the killer driver in the next room, ready to bring her in to meet them, with a bunch of photographers ready to capture the moment. Harry Dunn’s parents told him to do one.