Death following arrest: Sean Rigg

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Minnie_the_Minx, Aug 23, 2008.

1. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

8.00 p.m.

2. GarveyLives

Gramsci likes this.
  3. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Despicable but sadly not surprising. Thanks for link...

Gramsci likes this.
  4. GarveyLives

Gramsci likes this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

It's 10 years now. Who was it who said "Justice delayed is justice denied"?

DietCokeGirl and Gramsci like this.
  6. GarveyLives

... Sgt Paul White's attempt to leave the Metropolitan Police Force before he can face disciplinary proceedings seems to have failed:

Scotland Yard blocks retirement of officer over Sean Rigg death

In addition, the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) believes the five officers involved in Mr Rigg's death should face allegations including the alleged use of excessive force and use of inappropriate restraint techniques, failing to identify and treat Mr Rigg as suffering from mental health problems and failing to protect him from harm:

Exclusive: watchdog urges charges over death in custody

Gramsci likes this.
  7. GarveyLives

MrSki and Gramsci like this.
  8. GarveyLives

MrSki likes this.
  9. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Thry have been pursuing this with no help from politicians. All credit to them for persevering .

10. GarveyLives

11. Gramsci

This is Kafkaesque. The Police officers ( one now a priest) now say that such a long time has passed that the hearing should be stopped as its unfair on them.

The Police have dragged their feet over this death for years. Trying to stop the family get any kind of justice. Now those directly involved say they won't get a fair hearing?

This is bollox.

12. justin credible

justin credible Active Member

I was a good friend of Sean's brother Wayne when Sean died.

The police conduct surrounding and following the death has been appalling. There are aspects to this story that I have been told in confidence and cannot repeat here, but the whole thing stinks.

It is Kafkaesque.

Criminal cult leaders do this. They commit crimes and then get their lawyers to drag their legal cases out for years and then claim abuse of process / statute of limitations; just disgusting to see the police doing it. The Rigg family have suffered so much, endured so much and with great dignity. The family has also shown ingenuity and incredible resilience. They conducted their own investigation. interviewed witnesses and collected evidence that the police couldn't be bothered to collect. The lies the police told were exposed as such and yet still no justice. I hope it is a case of better late than never but I'm not holding my breath.

Plumdaff, Miss-Shelf, BigTom and 6 others like this.
  13. GarveyLives

Sean Rigg custody death: Policemen fail to have misconduct case dropped (click for latest)

[​IMG]

PC Andrew Birks has since been ordained as a Church of England priest

Amen !!!

Gramsci likes this.
  14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

If I were a believer at that church I would probably change to a different parish, although in his wisdom Archbishop Cranmer laid down guidance for such situations:

26 The sacraments are not rendered ineffectual by the unworthiness of the minister
    Although in the visible church the evil are always mingled with the good and sometimes evil people possess the highest rank in the ministry of the Word and sacraments, nevertheless since they do not do these things in their own name but in Christ's and minister by his commission and authority, we may use their ministry both in hearing God's Word and in receiving the sacraments. The effect of Christ's institution is not taken away by the wickedness of these people, nor is the grace of God's gifts diminished, so long as the sacraments are received by faith and rightly. The sacraments are effectual because of Christ's institution and promise, even though they may be administered by evil men.
    Nevertheless, it belongs to the discipline of the church that investigation be made into evil ministers. Those who are accused by witnesses having knowledge of their offences and who in the end are justly found guilty, should be deposed.
    (from the 39 articles)

15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I didn't know, but apparently this hearing into the conduct of the police officers involved in the death of Sean Rigg is open to members of the public to attend, subject to the conditions below:
    https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAs...nduct-public-hearings-conditions-of-entry.pdf

These conditions ban filming, photography mobile phone use - including tweeting. Also banned are laptops - except for accredited press reporters.

Can't see that note taking is banned - so that might be OK.

I'm not sure I would particularly fancy sitting through this hearing - which may still have three weeks to go, judging by the time set aside.

There is a general information page on the issue here:
    Deaths in police custody

Be interesting to know what Lambeth Council & SLAM have learnt from this case, as their (?poor?) care provision must have been one of the contributing factors.

Gramsci likes this.
  16. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl All lost in the supermarket

17. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

So...

IPCC (coppers) find the coppers innocent of any wrong-doing
    The Inquest Jury finds the coppers guilty of wrong-doing
    The Met has now investigated its own coppers and found them not guilty of any wrong-doing

Gramsci and DietCokeGirl like this.
  18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

How splendid British justice is

19. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Finest in the world :thumbs:

:(

Gramsci likes this.
  20. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

This basic opposite opinion says that something is wrong with the way deaths like this are investigated. IPCC is broken or just never been fit for purpose.

Plumdaff and Gramsci like this.
  21. Gramsci

I remember at one of the Brixton Neighborhood Forums the head of Brixton police mentioning that Sean Rigg case. That if people had issues with police they should come and talk to him. The implication being that going to outside agencies was wrong.

I heard Cressida Dick, head of Met now, recently say the Met is now transformed since the days of Stephen Lawrence. She was arguing that Macpherson finding that Met is institutionally racist are no longer relevant as the new Met is caring and sharing PC organisation.

Cressida who ordered killing of innocent Brazilian.Never affected her career or fat salary. But forget that she went to right university , came from right background and ticks the PC box as she is Gay. Heard hear on Desert Island discs last week. Winds me up people like her , same age as me, getting this privilege. The Police in general, in difference to Joe Public, are a privileged class in this country imo.

Here is :oops: piece from Guardian article that says it all imo:
    The police are a law unto themselves.

In reality Jo Public has little say.

With getting rid of Scarmans inspired Police-community consultative committees even less community oversight is possible.

The Sean Rigg case shows the difference between tokenism and actual real ability to challenge Met actions.

Chilli.s and cuppa tee like this.
  22. GarveyLives

23. editor

editor hiraethified

24. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I was trying to remember the name of the person who died having been through the treatment regime at Tooting Bec Hospital.
    It was Orville Blackwood.

This PhD thesis surveys such cases.It is an interpretive sociological work rather than medical, containing extensive quotes from Foucault.
    A bit like reading a history of Lambeth Council prefaced by extensive quotations from Marx.
    http://researchonline.ljmu.ac.uk/id/eprint/10244/1/2019SpeedPhD1.pdf

Gramsci and Pickman's model like this.
  25. GarveyLives

Coming as it did, shortly before today’s anniversary of the killing of Sean Rigg in Brixton, this is an unorthodox, but welcome reminder of the fight for the truth that his family and their relatively small band of supporters and legal advisers have waged for the past 11 years. They should be commended for having kept this case (and through their work with the United Friends and Families Campaign, similar cases) in the public consciousness for so long that someone was moved to take such direct action.

A number of the early posts on this thread provide a sombre and disturbing reminder of the forces and attitudes that stood before them at the outset of their struggle.

Lest We Forget

26. editor

editor hiraethified

Exactly what do you mean? Which posts, by whom?

Gramsci likes this.
  27. Gramsci

You still haven't answered editor question.

What posts are you talking about?

This thread imo has been sympathetic to the plight of the family of Sean.

So what exactly are you implying?

editor likes this.