Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dave Berman/Purple Mountains/Silver Jews/D.C. Berman

D'wards

I'm an excellent driver
"I'm afraid I've got more in common with who I was than who I am becoming"

Dave really was a genius. It would be hard to pick a favourite lyric- there's so many

rutabowa

LOSE IT
honestly tho, trigger warning, do not listen to that new album if you are feeling very down, it is great but is about as direct a suicide elegy as could be written, so possibly dangerous.

S☼I

ifyalikeitthenushouldaputadonkonit
honestly tho, trigger warning, do not listen to that new album if you are feeling very down, it is great but is about as direct a suicide elegy as could be written, so possibly dangerous.
Not heard all of it, but do you reckon the plan was to release it as an actual note and then check out?

D'wards

I'm an excellent driver
Have a listen to American Water.

It's got David's lyrics and songs but Malkmus' guitar. Perfect combo.

D'wards

I'm an excellent driver
This is a great song with cheery lyrics. We have lost a true poet.

Moments can be monuments to you
If your life is interesting and true
It's just the same for a man or a girl
The meaning of the world lies outside the world
People love people and they understand
If you want to renovate your background mind
A federal woman needs a municipal man
People gotta synchronize to animal time
You can't change the feeling but you can change your feeling about the feelings in a second or two
People always come around
I'm studying the ceiling on a little afternoon and when I paint my dining room
People gonna come around
I love to see a rainbow from a garden hose
Lit up like the blood of a centerfold
I love the city and the city rain
Suburban kids with Biblical names
People ask people to watch their scotch
People send people up to the moon
When they return, well, there isn't much
People be careful not to crest too soon
The drums march along at the clip of an IV drip
Like sparks from a muffler dragged down the strip
I really hope you'll come around
It's sunny and 75, it feels so good to be alive,
Come on, baby, don't stay inside
Everybody's coming out tonight

rutabowa

LOSE IT
ive never been mass keen on his recorded output, its ok but live is where its at for me with him. was there a reason you added it to this thread tho, does it talk about david berman or something?

butchersapron

blood on the walls
ive never been mass keen on his recorded output, its ok but live is where its at for me with him. was there a reason you added it to this thread tho, does it talk about david berman or something?
He's been talking about him loads and some of the songs are definitely about topping himself and people he admires who have.

rutabowa

LOSE IT
He's been talking about him loads and some of the songs are definitely about topping himself and people he admires who have.
it's not a new subject for him tho eg

having said that I haven't heard the new one, maybe it has a different tone... but his recent live show was def more uplifting than bleak I would say/

killer b

Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy
but his recent live show was def more uplifting than bleak I would say/
yeah, it was a joyous concert when we saw him last month - a contrast to the previous time I saw him a couple of years ago where he was visibly and audibly ground down.

rutabowa

LOSE IT
yeah, it was a joyous concert when we saw him last month - a contrast to the previous time I saw him a couple of years ago where he was visibly and audibly ground down.
phew. don't want anything bad to happen to jeff, he needs to keep going, like a leonard cohen.

his brother was on this tour, I reckon his brother is a good influence.

rutabowa

LOSE IT
did i tell my jeffrey lewis story before I dunno? basically I just emailed him on the email address that was on his first record sleeve (or something) to get a tune ID on one of the songs he did on that "history of punk on the lower east side song... (new amphetamine shriek by the fugs)... and he was really nice and we emailed back and forth until I found a copy of the album on ebay and he was really excited for me. the end.

killer b

Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy
I loved that history of punk song, introduced me to so much great stuff (including Jeff Lewis)

rutabowa

LOSE IT
yep same. I think.

In case anyone hasn't heard it, I don't think it's on any albums

like the crass songs album his takes on the songs generally sound far pleasanter/more listenable than the originals

Last edited:

belboid

TUC Off Your Knees
I loved that history of punk song, introduced me to so much great stuff (including Jeff Lewis)
I bought the second David Peel & Lower East Side album after that. I'd already got the first cos Cope covers Mother Where Is My Father? Sadly, other than the opening track, its petty crap.

marty21

One on one? You're crazy.
I have been listening to Purple Mountains this morning, liking it , finding it depressing and uplifting, which is a bit strange - it did very well in the Urban Album of the year (no.4).