data recovery question anybody?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by topher25, Nov 30, 2014.

1. topher25

topher25 Banned Banned

Im a pretty active user of my Samsung s5 and have maxed the storage on numerous occasions, however if one wanted to recover some old videos which weren't backed up, given that, as I said, ive used all my storage would It still be possible to recover the videos or will they have been permanently deleted to make space for new data?

2. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Not if you've deleted data to make space, and subsequently written new data in the free space.

topher25 likes this.
  3. topher25

topher25 Banned Banned

Thank you

4. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Remember to back it up in future! :)

I do a full back up of my phone every week or so, as you never know when it might go wrong, especially the micro SD card.

5. topher25

topher25 Banned Banned

I know there is ways of retrieving data using certain apps etc. but its definitely not possible if the storage space has been reused? Not worth wasting money and effort?

6. topher25

topher25 Banned Banned

Thanks. I save all my family pictures etc to FB or pc. I wont bore you with the details of why I need to find or not find old data.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  7. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

I'm afraid it is only possible to retrieve the data if it has not been overwritten.

topher25 likes this.
  8. topher25

topher25 Banned Banned

Great, ta.

9. topher25

topher25 Banned Banned

so, for example, footage of me greco roman wrestling when i was claiming dla for a slipped disc couldnt be retrieved by the police?

10. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Again, not if the free space has been completely overwritten.

11. keybored

keybored

Bumping this instead of new thread.

Short story, I was half asleep this morning and managed to wipe a 64GB SD card. There are about 30GB of files I'd like to retrieve intact if possible. I realised right away what I'd done and removed the card so nothing has been overwritten.

What are my best tools for getting the files back please? OSX/Windows/Android suggestions welcome!

12. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

13. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

I've used Recuva from Piriform Software to recover files off portable hard drives and it works very well, I've never tried it against an SD card but it should theoretically work the makers claim it does.
    There are others available if you google them but I can't speak for them

fishfinger and keybored like this.
  14. keybored

keybored

Thanks both. I've gone for Recuva as I've heard of it before.

First scan found 0 files :(

Deep scan ("This could take up to an hour") is at 1% and has already found 2500 odd files, so it's looking good.

MickiQ and fishfinger like this.