Daphne & Celeste

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by akirajoel, Mar 20, 2006.

1. akirajoel

akirajoel well read

What ever happened to them?

They were great. :D :cool:

[​IMG]

2. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Enforced Holiday

they were.

U-G-L-Y You ain't got no alibi!

3. poului

poului a bit overrated

hj-9u,9-,8uj0-jk

They were apparently bottled off the stage when they appeared at Reading, and shortly afterwards completely folded.

4. chooch

chooch ladled with fail

There's a certain genius to Ooh Stick You 'n'all.

5. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

for some reason i have that on my ipod.
    haven't got round to deleteing it yet.
    :oops:

6. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

I was there, at the side of the stage.

People were filling bottles with urine and lobbing them... it was remarkable the amount of bottles that hit the stage - wouldn't like to have been in the first six rows...

Fair play to them - they finished their track... but they weren't popular with the road crew who had to wipe down all the equipment afterwards...

And I never heard a peep out of them again.

7. milesy

milesy New Member

daphne and celeste = good
    people who throw bottles of piss = twats

milesy has spoken :cool:

8. pk

I didn't throw any piss-filled bottles, for the record.

I did chuckle a bit though.

Reading Festival, eh?

*sighs*

Kids. Who'd 'ave 'em?

9. brokenyolk

brokenyolk vegetable lover

here they are - interview from last year....

bless 'em

http://www.fusedmagazine.com/Past_Issues/issue_26/Daphne_and_Celeste.aspx

and this from wikipedia - so now you know...

"In a "Where Are They Now?" interview with Q magazine in 2005, Karen DiConcetto admitted that the whole project was "1000% manufactured", and that the girls auditioned for it in New York in 1998: "I just talked about shoes for an hour." She considered the Reading Festival to be the highlight of the whole experience, and mentioned her work in theatre afterwards, specifically a play called Tourrettaville, written by a boy with Tourette syndrome. DiConcetto received positive reviews (e.g. [2])for her portrayal of "CB's Sister" in the FringeNYC award-winning Peanuts spoof Dog Sees God. That production is now being adapted for an Off-Broadway debut featuring a number of big-name celebrities, including Eliza Dushku.

In the same interview, Celeste Cruz said that she also had worked in theatre and that the duo were planning to break into television. In 2004, Celeste also took the role of "Maria" in the movie Brooklyn Bound. Although not a main character, she is involved in a pivotal scene which fuels the tragedy of the denouement. She also features quite prominently on the DVD cover. Unlike DiConcetto, she considered the Reading Festival incident the "end of the party for us".

their fan site - still online, was called "up your butt with a cocunut" :)

10. Doctor Carrot

Doctor Carrot Bear Grylls grills bare bears

I was at that festival they were hammered, fair play to them cause they finished their songs. Which is more then some bands even do, what was the name of that terrible band who are alot like another horrible band HIM?, they sang that song guilty, utter shite they were pelted and walked off stage after a few songs.

11. akirajoel

akirajoel well read

MANUFACTURED?!?!

DAPHNE AND CELESTE!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

*watches doors of preception fall away*

*feels faint*

12. pk

Image of piss-drenched popsters at Reading...

[​IMG]

13. Mr T

Mr T jibba jabba

The Rasmus

14. souljacker

souljacker Those tapas loving FUCKS

Fiddy cent too. That was fucking classic!!!

15. pk

Shame they weren't broken glass bottles for that cunt...

16. kins

kins chilly willy woo

i remember them at reading, being booed at and yes there were bottles of piss being launched!!!! So rude. "Ohh stick you, yo mama too and your daddy!!" Hurrah!

"Yo mama, yo dada, yo greasy greasy grandmammy" jokes...

17. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

People who throw bottles of piss at acts they don't understand or don't even attempt to understand are simply toeing the line that's been dictated to them and are thus far worse than any pop groupies, because they think they're rebelling against something when they're actually doing exactly that.

Daphne And Celeste were great and fantastic. Why is "manufactured" a bad thing? Would it really have been better to have two fat, hairy, middle Scandanavian blokes who probably wrote their songs performing them? No, you do what you're best at and D & C delivered the songs with aplomb.

Sample line of genius from "U.G.L.Y.";
    "Uncle Fester, remember him?
    I never knew that you had a twin."
    :cool:

18. Belzub

Belzub Pope

boring pop shit but to be honest a lot worse has been booked for reading over the years... the libertines spring to mind...

19. Teepee

Teepee like livewire voodoo

The thought of thousands of grinning people in the crowd at reading, eagerly awaiting daphne and celeste, tightly clutching lukewarm bottles of piss makes me smile.

20. stavros

I wouldn't say boring in any way. You may hate their stuff but I can't see how they would be classed as "boring" per se.

21. i_hate_beckham

i_hate_beckham Him From A Village

My mate goes on about how she hit one of them with a frisbee at Reading.

22. Belzub

Belzub Pope

alright, scratch boring. might be more interesting with the sound off though...

23. adsr

adsr Help! Its all a bit pony

I had the misfortune to be in the first row during that Reading during Daphne and Celeste. I managed to convince myself none of the liquid was piss, for my own sanity. It all got a bit much when people started throwing flares, of which some never reached the stage. Utter twats.

24. milesy

milesy New Member

makes me think "there's thousands of twats"...

25. ssean

ssean Goa Train

Have a mix of stick you where some'fuck you' have been overdubbed in appropiate places...... makes me smile :)

26. chooch

chooch ladled with fail

Aye. Fuck'em. Those hairy cunts will never come up with anything like:
    Everybody knows you put fleas in cheese, mix them with glue and use it like shampoo.
    At least they were anything but pompous. I'd trade years of turgid Reading tedium for one minute of nonsense.

27. top_biller

top_biller a big bowl of wrong

They played at Newcastle Union during a Freshers Week concert a few years back during whilst me and a mate were putting on an alternative night a few floors up. Our room was empty and no-one was dancing, my mate handed me the headphones and said "I'll give you ten quid if you get anyone on the dancefloor by the end of your first tune". I dropped N-Joi Anthem, Daphne and Celeste came on downstairs, and by the time the track was finished there were loads of pissed up freshers pouring into the room and jumping around singing along to "feeeeel the little thing that's in the air".

So Daphne and Celeste, I salute you. You made me ten quid.

28. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

I thought they were brave for coming on just before a load of pissed up angry teenage slip knot fans :D

29. eddiecurry

eddiecurry united colors of ping

I saw them at Reading. There were ten thousand bottles of piss and whatnot thrown at them during their 15 minute set - and every single one missed them. Fucking weak wristed student twats :) D & C were, of course, great. Dance routines among the hail of bottles and everything.

30. stavros

I had a thought today regarding this thread; forget the Beatles vs the Stones, the Pistols vs the Clash, the Roses vs the Mondays, Blur vs Oasis, the ultimate who-was-better competition would be Daphne & Celeste vs Shampoo. Both mid-late-90s sugar pop with a slight teen-punk rebelious streak fronted by two in your face girls who would ride rough-shod over your preconceptions of pop music. "Ooh Stick You" and "U.G.L.Y." vs "Trouble" and "Girl Power". I personally can't split them, can anyone?

wtfftw likes this.