1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dance tunes alternative cover versions?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by moody, Nov 29, 2017.

1. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

by that I mean this....

any more?

I know there are a few brass/big band type covers out there at the mo....

2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

reports I've had from friends who have gone to orchestra plays dance classic gigs have been positive.

my experience of the Gospel House Choir was great too.

there's a good album of a classical pianist reinterpreting dance classics that was good...I'll dig out a link.>>>

3. ska invita

4. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

diond likes this.
  5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Obviously loads of this sort of stuff these days as massive money spinner, this was an ace night thou, quite a few videos of it on YT:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  6. Dragnet

Dragnet Well-Known Member

Country Teasers have covered 2 Unlimited's No Limit. Can't post a link at the moment, but it'll be on YouTube no doubt.

Badgers likes this.
  7. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

Acid Brass is great, but the Hacienda orchestral thing turns my stomach. Awful anti-music filth.

Orang Utan likes this.
  8. ska invita

Have you been?

9. killer b

Of course not.

10. ska invita

11. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

That Pete Tong orchestra looks a bit silly to me. He just stands behind some CD decks pretending to be some kind of conductor.

:confused:

blossie33 and SpookyFrank like this.
  12. killer b

The whole concept is disgusting - faux-sophisticated filth aimed at the one-pill-a-year crowd for whom even Leftfield's live show is too gnarly. The London Sympharmonic plays the hits of Queen for the 21st century. Kill it.

SpookyFrank, Spandex and Orang Utan like this.
  13. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Couple of mates of mine raved about it - they also recently went to see Leftfield mind :D

14. killer b

of course they did.

15. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

happy christmas everyone

16. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

HANDS IN THE AIR

17. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Acoustic version of T2's Heartbroken by Prophet Zebadiah Abu-Obadiah and the Peon

18. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430

19. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430

20. ska invita

i was in a car on a Friday evening a few months back and thought id check out what Radio 1 do on a Friday night these days. There was Pete Tong, still going. It was pretty dreadful and it made me wonder does PT like any of the tunes hes playing? Glutton for punishment I then went and checked out what he plays out in a club - wathced a Live at Ibiza Rocks video. Fuck Me he looked so bored, occasionally checking his emails on his laptop, and the crowd dutifuly shuffled around emotionlessly. Bizarre is the only way to describe it.

Anyhow Ive just had a quick skim of his Proms thing and its basically a fairly straight covers band of tunes i didnt really like that much first time around.
    I haven't heard the HAcienda set and although it might be similarly flat it needn't be automatically - it all depends on who has done the arrangements and how far they've gone in.
    I'm not much a fan of classical music - i find it pompous in the vast majority of cases - but i love the sound of an orchestra and id love there to be great new orchestral pieces more suited to my taste and influences - if based on hacienda classics then that would be just fine by me. Whether they've done anything interesting with it I'll reserve judgement till I hear it.

21. killer b

There's clips on youtube that give you an idea - it's hackwork, really. Sounds ok when the song is good, but there's nothing really going on.

I go and see the orchestra who're doing it - Manchester Camerata - fairly regularly, they do a lot of good work playing both challenging and accessible works - they have a great programme of modern orchestral music away from the Haceienda stuff, some of which I'm sure you'd love. They struggle to get audiences for anything but this and the classical canon though.

22. killer b

They're doing another set of Motown and Northern Soul songs too in the spring. Also gross. I guess they need to pay the rent though.

23. ska invita

sounds interesting...though without going too far down a tangent Im not really into overly dischordant music, and modern classical does tend to lean heavily that way...could do wit ha few more house-style chords in there!

well aside from that I can give a big thumbs up to Gospel House Choir as they have some heavy heavy singers in their lineup...every time another soloist came down for their song the standard was kept at the highest mark. Some hard work has gone into the arrangements, and though the odd tune doesnt translate as well as others, Id happily catch them again. I do love a choir though

24. killer b

25. killer b

this is that sasha thing - actually it doesn't sound so bad. really just go and hear an orchestra doing Steve Reich or Philip Glass or one of the other minimalists though, that's all it is, but a whole load less complex and with a beat.

26. killer b

(on reflection, it does sound bad.)

27. There was a Carl Craig album "Versus" of orchestral versions of some of his tracks out this year. I thought it was OK in places but nothing extraordinary, i'd much rather listen to the originals
    Anyway here is a 2hr Youtube footage of the performance

28. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Isn't Goldie getting in on this orchestral thing too?

I'm with killer b on this. Old producers past their prime getting all "look how grown up and highbrow I am". I don't want grown up and highbrow not-techno or not-DnB, I want the real thing. If I wanted to listen to classical music I'd find some proper stuff to listen to.

Anyway, on a different tack - Detroit garage rockers The Dirtbombs recorded an album of covers of Detroit techno classics a few years ago. Here's their Strings of Life:

The results are mixed, which I think they recognised themselves. This is from an interview when they released it:

"We considered three or four Underground Resistance songs but Jaguar seemed at the time like it would be the least difficult. Subsequently, it turned out to be almost impossible to record! It's deceptively simple; there's so much going on."

On a similar tack, I love Danish dance-rockers Whomadewho's cover of Flat Beat. Here's a live version, cos I can't find a decent original version on youtube:

29. killer b

I've seen these guys a couple of times - some of it's a bit too cheddar for my tastes, but they're infectious as fuck and a good laugh (they mostly do gigs at weddings of old ravers as far as I can tell). Their version of 'around the world' is brilliant.

30. killer b

here: