Dalberg Road Area (Brixton) - Safety

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by CG Venez, Mar 11, 2019.

1. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Dry yer eyes mate!

editor likes this.
  2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

That's very good. The same thing probably applies in blocks of flats.

The fact remains that if you start talking to strangers at bus stops in London the reception is unpredictable. But OOp north it's normal.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

Based on nothing more than my own experiences (and that of friends) Brixton it appears a lot harder to meet new faces. When I first moved here I soon got to know a large and diverse group of people, many of whom were living in the squats/housing co-ops around Carlton/Clifton Mansions and Rushcroft Road. When I started doing DJ nights at the Albert I met a whole load more, and there was always an active protest/social scene where I'd meet more folks.

Since they've turned all that housing into upmarket flats I can honestly say I've not met a single person who's moved into these now-private residences, and only one person from Brixton Square, despite me being out and about just as much (and DJing far more).

Yeah it proves nothing but it's hard to argue that Brixton hasn't lost a lot of what made it so unique since gentrification.

4. Jimbeau

Jimbeau Lurker

Seriously? It’s a remnant of the Tapatalk Pro auto signature. Not everything has a subtext.

. Pedant

5. editor

editor hiraethified

I was joshing but was honestly baffled by the . Pro suffix.

trabuquera and Jimbeau like this.
  6. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

Eh??? :D:D:D

You are having a tantrum because a couple of random people you have never met on here somehow represent all of Brixton?

Did someone tell you that everything posted on this forum is somehow the local law? :hmm:

7. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Not even two weeks ago there was much consternation here that a new poster had been treated roughly when a regular poster simply pointed out an apparent inconsistency in the new poster’s position. I’m glad to see that lessons have been learnt and that the not one but two new posters to this forum who have posted in this thread have been given as friendly a welcome as possible.

8. editor

editor hiraethified

Ah, I see you've popped in, ever hopeful to stir the pot. Sadly, I think you're shooting blanks here, squire.

I don't think anyone has been 'treated roughly' although I do find the OP's apparent position of expecting gratitude towards her for 'contributing to the area' by simply rocking into town a little strange.

9. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Sometimes this forum can come across as being a bit unfriendly to immigrants and newcomers.

Khmer and CG Venez like this.
  10. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Prejudice was shown towards the OP.

CG Venez likes this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

To be honest, I think I got the most unfriendly post of the lot where I was accused of being 'racist and demeaning' in post #3 simply for pointing out that the area was safe!

And I don't think people dredging up historic murders, stabbings and muggings was all together useful either.

But no, I don't think the OP had a particular rough time. She asked a question and got an answer.

12. editor

editor hiraethified

In what sense, exactly? Bear in mind that her opening post started with prejudice about the area.

13. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

True prejudice on both sides. She though you were rough and would hurt her. You thought she would be a yuppie who came in and was part of the gentrification of the area and would not contribute anything to the area and would not be friends with people like you. [I am personifying this deliberately to add to the intensity]

14. editor

editor hiraethified

What the fuck are you on about? I said nothing of the sort. How fucking dare you manufacture such hurtful lies.
    Nope. But I accurately described the accommodation she was moving into.

15. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I did say I was personifying it to give you a rise. She conflated you with all the lies/prejudice she had heard about Brixton. You reciprocated with your own prejudice about people who rented out local flats. She might have been a really nice person who became one of your closest friends. But you just appeared to shut it out because of your prejudice.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  16. editor

editor hiraethified

What prejudice? She asked if Brixton Square was safe and I gave her a perfectly accurate reply:
    "You'll be in a nice and safe gated development for yuppies and well-off incomers, so you'll be fine"

Please read carefully and note that at no point did I call her a yuppie. Do you know how much flats cost in that development?

17. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I take your point, but I still think a subtext of her post was will i be safe, but also will I be welcome? your post said
    safe: yes
    welcome: not so much.

Edie likes this.
  18. editor

editor hiraethified

Not sure why she should expect to be 'welcomed.' We're not a holiday camp.

19. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Brixton is not a holiday camp. No its not a holiday camp.

20. editor

editor hiraethified

Do you arrive in cities expecting to be welcomed? I'd say that a welcome is only earned by how you interact with the locals.

21. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

I disagree. She was worried about safety and living in a desirable part of Brixton, she actually named 'undesirable' parts.

toblerone3 and editor like this.
  22. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Yes the OP was couched in estate agents talk rather than the language of need. Subtle stuff. But talk to people gently. Introduce them to the proper community.

23. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Yes I do.

24. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

You actually think the op is genuine then?

25. editor

editor hiraethified

Absolutely. Especially poor people seeing their area gentrified and their friends and families forced out by economic displacement. They should positively exude the warmest of welcomes whenever someone decides to move into the freshly desirable parts of town.

And doff their caps while they're at it.

26. editor

editor hiraethified

:D :D :D

27. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

Local welcome for locals peoples.

T & P likes this.
  28. editor

editor hiraethified

29. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Now there's a thing. Pulp are from Sheffield.
    I stayed there for a month in 1983. Terms of endearment include "Luv" and "Duck".
    I found it disconcerting (as a southerner) to be called "Luv" when the bus conductor gave me a ticket and change.
    Luv in Sheffield was, maybe still is, a completely asexual (or bisexual) pleasantry for all occasions.

30. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

I know quite a few old fashioned white working class Londoners who addresss their Male fiends as Love and Darlin’. Close friends, not everyone, like in the North. But they do do it openly, in public.

marty21 likes this.