Dalberg Road Area (Brixton) - Safety

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by CG Venez, Mar 11, 2019.

1. CG Venez

CG Venez New Member

Hi,

For those familiar with Brixton, how is this area? I’m moving from Spain and I know there are areas which are not desired, like in North (Angell Town) and to East (Somerleyton Estate).

Could someone advise of how ok this area is? Also any general advice on areas?

2. editor

editor Forked with electrons

I've moved this to the Brixton forum.

The area is absolutely fine so long as you're reasonably streetwise.

3. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Personally I find this post racist and demeaning.
    How can you go on about Squires etc yet suggest Dalberg Road is OK "if you are streetwise"
    I had a gay friend from Barbados who was bludgeoned to death there in 1988.
    "OK if you are streetwise"

4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I'm near both Loughborough Junction and Brixton. So I've lived near Somerleyton and Loughborough Estate. I don't have any problems with area.

There are some Spanish in Brixton. My partner is Spanish. London does now have a lot of Spanish who came here due to the economic crisis in Spain. Lack of jobs in Spain etc.

Brexit is possibly happening. So you may have to apply for so called "settled status" at some point in future.

Lambeth the Council borough that Brixton is in was overwhelmingly Remain. Its very multicultural. More so than most of rest of country.

So you shouldn't have any problems here. Its not cheap though. Loughborough Junction area is cheaper.

5. editor

:confused::confused::confused:

6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Personal memory. Obviously irrelevant in 2019. My friend rests in peace in Norwood Cemetery. Last thing you would expect in a respectable street in Brixton.

7. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

It's fine
    It's about 100m from Somerleyton Road
    Which is also fine

8. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

On Dalberg Road?

I’m sorry for your troubles. That sounds bloody horrible.

I lived very close to Dalberg Road from 1991 til about 5 years ago. It’s now one of the very poshest parts of Brixton.

There was a turf war there when they were renovating Windrush Square and the dealers from there were forced to ply their trade elsewhere, so they came to Mervin Road, Saltoun Road, Dalberg Road. A few stabbing, a gunshot murder, plenty of muggings and the daily and nightly annoyance of crack users on the doorstep but all that stopped ten years ago.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  9. SheilaNaGig

10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

My mate was pre that era. Was over-fond of a few pints at the Albert, after which he became indiscreet.

11. SheilaNaGig

It’s a lot further than 100m from Somerleyton Road. It’s several blocks further on the other side of the railway line.

12. SheilaNaGig

:(

I was spending more time on Stockwell Park Estate and the Barrier Block in the eighties.

Ended up on Acre Lane towards the end of the 80s, then settled into that patch around Dalberg Road for all of the 90s.

Got priced out by the Incomers. It’s millionaires road there now.

editor likes this.
  13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Yes - its a bit like now in a way. If you are challenged by a group of people, the last thing you want to do it start back on them with a weapon. No doubt Cressida Dick would confirm that if you brandish a weapon at assailants they can use if back on you.

14. SheilaNaGig

That’s true. But it seems far more intensely localised to the estates now. I live up on the Hill now and the recent knife crime on the Tulse Hill Estate and New Park Road seems more isolated and local than the street crime that I used to be aware of when I was down in Brixton Town.

One of the stabbings that happened on Mervan Road was when a young Aussie lad was mugged for his wallet, and his flat mates decided to go out on a vigilante mission, and one of them got stabbed to death.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  15. SheilaNaGig

16. SheilaNaGig

17. CG Venez

CG Venez New Member

Thank you to everyone for your reply. I have leased an apartment in Coldharbour Lane at the Brixton Viaduct for a short term to see if I like it. I loved area when I visited before. I’m very excited to be coming to London soon.

Thank you again.

BusLanes, Gramsci and marty21 like this.
  18. editor

You'll be in a nice and safe gated development for yuppies and well-off incomers, so you'll be fine,

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  19. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Until we rise

[​IMG]

20. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Not sure how much damage the people with megaphones will do

thebackrow and Miss-Shelf like this.
  21. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

I saw that as an axehead but sawn off for some unknown reason.

Now I just see it as a tool to complain about expensive breakfast cereal :(

22. Pickman's model

Only when thrown through a window

23. CG Venez

CG Venez New Member

I’m sorry to question, but this really how locals wish to welcome people that want to come and live in and support your community?

Maybe I need consider elsewhere, where I’m welcome and not treated to be some awful person just because my choice of place to stay is not agreeing with you or is too expensive in your eyes. I don’t have many options for short term, booking outside UK. Should it matter?, I not sure, but you seem to have anger towards those like me and would rather we stay away. I’m very confused now, I shall not bother anyone more :(

24. editor

How is moving into an expensive (and essentially gated) development 'supporting' the community in any meaningful way?

And I'm sorry if my post made you feel 'unwelcome,' but it was an honest answer. If you're worried about safety, you'll be fine in this place.

25. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

Would critique off a niche internet forum really put you off moving to London?

editor likes this.
  26. Jimbeau

Jimbeau Lurker

Hi there.

I’ve lived in Brixton two decades and have lurked on this forum since the beginning. I’ve never felt the need to post until now.

I’d just like to reassure you that the Brixton I love is a kind and welcoming place. I came as a young single man, I met my wife here, am raising my kids here. My wife’s parents liked visiting so much they retired here. The patterns of my life have changed massively over those years - but this place has a richness and energy that means it can accommodate all.

Please don’t worry about what people say on Internet forums. Just focus on getting to know the people around you. Community begins with neighbourliness.

. Pro

catriona, BusLanes, ricbake and 7 others like this.
  27. Pickman's model

Top lurking :thumbs:

Jimbeau and editor like this.
  28. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Personally I would say if you want to interact with "locals" who are genuinely friendly and welcoming you are coming to the wrong part of the country altogether. Manchester or Liverpool would be more fruitful (and cheaper to lease an apartment). Not to mention the promise of a cup of tea if you knock on the door (as opposed to a "F*** off - we haven't been introduced!" that you get in London/Surrey)

In any case you will self-select your chosen friends in Brixton. Its not as though the Communist Party of England (Marxist Leninist) are picketing your chosen abode - nor will they. They have other fish to fry campaigning in favour of/against Brexit [depending which faction]

29. editor

Is this short for "a professional posting" or is your name "Pro"? And that random full stop needs some explaining too!

30. SheilaNaGig

One of the many reasons I love living here in Brixton is because it’s neighbourly and friendly.

Why have you put locals in quote marks?

I used to live on down by a Mervan Road and I’m still in touch with lots of neighbours who became friends. I now live up on the Hill and I’m friends with neighbors here, get tick in local shops, can leave my keys in the cafe for someone else to pick up, leave my door unlocked during the day, clip herbs from neighbours’ front yards, take in parcels for each other, go sick visiting...

This notion that London (or, as you seem to be implying, whole swathes of the South East) is universally unfriendly is just bollocks.

catriona, CG Venez, spitfire and 2 others like this.