Daily Mail and Brian Paddick:

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Stobart Stopper, Jun 15, 2002.

1. pooka

pooka Can't Re Member

" It is understood Scotland Yard has put a gagging order on the commander,"

From this article in the Indy on Sunday

2. pooka

pooka Can't Re Member

"Police chiefs set to extend Lambeth's soft line on drugs"

Not sure how I missed this - Fridays Independent - but it might explain Ms Hoey's behavior. (As an aside, when was the last time she packed a public meeting?)

I'd be interested to hear people's views of the Lambeth medic. Has she an established position on this stuff?

"Dr Clare Gerada, a doctor in Lambeth and director of drugs training for the Royal College of General Practitioners, who said that since the experiment was introduced she was having to deal with an increasing number of young people suffering from breathing problems and mental health issues caused by cannabis use.

"The dealers are much more visible on the streets now and you can smell cannabis much more often than before the experiment," Dr Gerada said. "

Does u75's resident physician have a view?

3. pooka

pooka Can't Re Member

"Crime is on the increase for first time in six years, according to police figures"

Seen against this national trend, especially in the figures for burglary and street crime, doesn't Lambeth's most recent trend look exceptionally good?

Report here

4. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Brian, I am delighted in you, never took you to be a football fan! :cool: :D

Posted earlier ....

MORE INFO PLEASE!!!!! :confused:

So is he to be posted away from Brixton?

5. Peter Matisse

Peter Matisse Queering the Mail

I didn't see the DM article but there was a similar piece in The Independent on Friday.

It's a classic piece of mis information. First you mention cannabis and Brixton, then Kate Hoey's pet doctor mentions young people with breathing problems. She forgets to say that we are in the Hay Fever season, she doesn't bother to mention that the air quality at this time of year begins to aggravate asthma, neither does she mention that more young people than ever are suffering from asthma, and of course why should she bother to say that there is a nasty chest infection doing the rounds at present, a lot of people in my office have it.

It would seem that some of us are beginning to feel despondent about the support campain for Brian.

I came to the U75 site to join the campain and I have found a group of smart, witty, intelligent, opinionated, passionate and caring people. Don't loose heart. We will get the result we want. It is going to be a long haul, the Met moves slowly. What we must do is never lose an opportunity to let anyone and everyone know that the support is still there for Brian.

The Met has a website and you can e-mail Sir John Stevens. Do it. Tell him you support Brian and you want him back. Even if you have done it before, do it again. Every time there is negative press for Brian, write or e-mail the newspaper, even the DM. They will not print it but they will know that Brian still has support. Write or e-mail the paper you read, if you find a piece supporting Brian contact the writer, thank them, and when Brian gets rubbished contact them again and ask for their support. Keep on. Be tenacious.

If Kate Hoey is not doing her job contact the Labour party and complain. E-mail the Cabinet Office and complain. E-mail the Prime Ministers Office and complain. If you don't get a reply keep on. Don't let up. Keep the pressure on.

Don't forget that we are supporters of a high ranking serving police officer. There is already a subtle campain to infer that Brian's supporters are a pot smoking rabble, who are only interested in protecting their supplies of cannabis. Be forceful in what you say by all means but be polite. How we behave reflects on Brian.

Brian has said that he will not give up and neither should we. It can be done and we will do it. It's hard I know, but in the coming weeks you will get the chance to get up from your screens and make the point more visibly and vocally if you want to.

Something I came across in the Guardian magazine letter's page on Saturday. In the 1930's The Daily Mail were supporters of The British Fascist Party, and in 1934 they organised the ticket sales for the London rally where the Blackshirts beat up left wing supporters, who were protesting about anti-Semitism generated by the Fascists.

Substitute Gay people for Jewish people and the Mail has not changed a great deal. Never miss an opportunity to remind them of this, and the people that read the paper.

The Facists did not win in the 1930's and they will not win in 2002 !

Courage my friends - we will prevail !

:)

6. William of Walworth

Yes, the Daily Mail's 1930s track record as a Blackshirt supporting paper is well known ...

Here is Keith Dovkants' article, very similar, in yesterday's Evening Standard. I have cut and pasted it in full because it will disappear soon and I couldn't getb a DIRECT link to it (only to the index).

[End of Part One]

7. William of Walworth

That Dovkants article ...

[Part Two]

Similar to the Mail's, just slightly toned down on the suburban shrillness. But exactly the same sources and method of argument, on the surface worded a little more "liberally" to avoid directly pissing off city dwellers too much, but propaganda wise with exactly the same intentions.

The Mail, and Standard are increasingly indistinguishable from each other since Victoria Wade (ex Daily Hate) took over ...

8. JoeOrder

JoeOrder Just another malcontent

Saw that article yesterday...

... and it almost made me gag because of its one-sidedness, but at least we know that Associated are on the back foot if they're forced to resort to 'Won't someone think of the children?' tactics. Unfortunately, using that argument is an almost infallible way of getting the "upper" middle class to take notice.

It drives me round the bend that though the article implies that this situation is only going on in Lambeth, the truth is that this has been going on for years. In fact, it's just as likely to happen in rural areas where kids feel that there's not much else for them to do.

And weren't they harping on about drunken kids a couple of years ago? I can't help but notice that among the horribly derogatory adjectives (e.g. 'imbecilic') they use about the kids that toke (shameful, given that they claim to be on the kids' side, really), the word 'violent' doesn't crop up once. I'm sure it would if they were drinking themselves into oblivion.

OK, Sorry, but I'm going to rant a bit. It's papers like the DM that have parents so worried that they keep their kids inside all the time, so that they never find out that you can have a pretty good time just wandering around places, as opposed to endlessly playing video games (another of the DM's bugbears), or escaping somewhere inside their heads via intoxicants when they do finally get out for a while. It's horribly cyclic and I just feel so cynical about the issue now.

Sorry if I'm a bit incoherent, but the hypocrisy of Associated Newspapers and their ilk just upsets me a great deal.

JO.

9. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

I feel I've answered these points at the top of this page. I dislike the way these articles imply people don't mix. So, all white people in Brixton are middle class are they, and have "drawing rooms"? And all black Brixtonites are working class and live on estates? What simplistic crap. That's not how I live my life.

Society and the police need to consider their attitudes to juveniles and intoxicants. This doesn't however negate the sense of downgrading the police approach to cannabis possession and concentrating on serious crime and the problems caused by hard drug use.

Also - have people forgotten that Brian Paddick's main acheivement in this area was to CONNECT WITH PEOPLE. That is why I want him to return to Lambeth, whatever the police/government stance on cannabis.

Roz Griffiths' employment cafe is not a Brixton institution by the way.

10. William of Walworth

Yes that "drawing room" thing pissed me off too! What planet is Dovkants on???? :rolleyes:

11. ats

ats Well-Known Member

Dokvants's initial point seems to be that schoolkids on a train who got on before Brixton and got off somewhere after Brixton were smoking dope.

How is that Brixton's fault? Does the very air have a corupting influence, with psychic effect, so that children are corupted by the fact that they are going to pass through it. Brixton is such a sink of coruption that simply buying a railway ticket for a journey that will pass through it is enough to corupt a child?

'I never 'ad a chance guv. Last thing I remember I ordered a ticket for Clapham Junction. Now I'm a criminal with a five million pounds a day drug habit, part of the evil gay drugs Mafia run by Brian Paddick.'

(Is it safe to even say that in jest? Or will the tabloid scum use it as the basis of a news story?)

12. Stobart Stopper

Stobart Stopper Well-Known Member

Here we go again

and it's not even the weekend yet.

Tossers.