1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclist killed at Kings Cross Lighthouse

Discussion in 'transport' started by toblerone3, Oct 3, 2011.

1. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

There was a particularly nasty fatality at Kings Cross today when a female cyclist was run over by an HGV lorry in front the Lighthouse Building. The body lay in the road for a long time while a crowd gathered round. The police arrived and eventually the body was removed from the incident tent straight into a funeral directors van. RIP :(

[​IMG]

2. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

Oh God, how awful :(

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That horrible. Really upsetting.

4. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Its the third fatal accident in the past two years in the Kings Cross area and the second one at this particular junction. The previous fatal collision was between a car and a pedestrian at three in the morning. The other death was another crash between a cyclist and a lorry - that time a lorry turned left from Camden Road onto St Pancras Way killing a cyclist on its near side.

5. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

I've seen loads of vehicles accelerating through just turned red lights at that junction. You have to wait a few seconds after the lights turn green to be really safe. :(

6. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Horrible way to go...

7. Mapped

Mapped London town

I saw all the road closures at lunch time. Sorry to hear about this :(

That junction/1way system is horrible for cyclists. I used to cycle into work at King's Cross and would always take a diversion down back streets to avoid that spot.

8. davesmurf

davesmurf New Member

head popped under HGV apparently __ fuck up __ especially for the parents __ fucksake they should pedestrianise so much of London ...

9. joevsimp

joevsimp Well-Known Member

I thought there was supposed to be a low emmissions zone to keep lorries out of central london?

10. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Up to my tits in quilts

yes indeed

very sad news. RIP cyclist.

11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

but pedestrianising would, by its very nature, not do much for cyclists.

12. 100% masahiko

100% masahiko i is a professor and is magical like totoro

does anyone know what time this happened?

yes, it's a horrible way to go.

13. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Just after midday.

14. Garek

Garek Living n ADDled chaos

It's just insane allowing HGVs to drive through London :(

ElizabethofYork and fjydj like this.
  15. 100% masahiko

Thanks MrSki...

16. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for this woman, and for her family.

Reading this has really made me reflect on how silly some of my 'anti-cyclist' posts (on other threads) have been. The relatively minor irritation that some of them cause me is nothing compared to an incident like this. Even though my pops at cyclists have been largely toungue-in-cheek, I guess it's not a laughing matter; given the risks they have to run, I can understand why some get annoyed with drivers. I shall try to be a bit more tolerant of cyclists, and understanding of their position, in future.

17. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Undoubtedly the number of HGVs could be greatly reduced if the right measures were implement, but there will always be a need for some HGVs entering towns and cities. Certain types of load cannot be delivered by other means, really.

Maybe there is an argument for HGVs only entering cities at night when there is minimal traffic.

temper_tantrum likes this.
  18. MrSki

Unless you live in the city & don't want HGVs rumbling past all night long.

toblerone3 likes this.
  19. plurker

plurker tĂș no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

20. temper_tantrum

temper_tantrum The beauty of the ride

Terrible terrible. :( So sad. Thoughts go out to her friends and family.
    Every time I start to think about cycling in London, incidents like this put me off. Sorry, cycling fans, I'm sure you can come up with lots of statistics about its safety, etc, but it's just really offputting for me. I'll stick to public transport, even if it IS expensive and more time-consuming.

Edit: I too would like to see restricted access hours for heavy goods vehicles in central London.

21. Garek

They should certainly be banned from rush hour traffic. Or there could be an HGV Congestion Charge priced accordingly to discourage rush hour driving. Plus the EPZ or whatever it is called.

fjydj and temper_tantrum like this.
  22. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

23. 100% masahiko

wasn't there a Polish guy who got hit by an HGV earlier this year in Streatham?
    HGVs scare the fuck out of me, I'm very cautious of them...

24. MrSki

It might be because of the congestion charge that so many lorries use the route along Euston Road & up Pentonville because it skirts the congestion zone.

I don't think midday could be described as rush hour. HGVs are often delivering to building sites & therefore need to be during the day.

25. Garek

I find it staggering how many people try and undertake them. Just don't FFS.

ericjarvis and nipsla like this.
  26. Garek

True, midday is not rush hour. But the wider point stands that volume of HGV's driving around central London is far too high.

27. 100% masahiko

I agree. I personally only overtake them when they're stationary.

Also, the poor girl, it seems the HGV cut into her path cos according to witnesses, the right hand of the rear wheel was what hit her.

28. Juice Terry

Juice Terry rama lama fa fa fa

Does make me angry that one of the first things they mention is her not wearing a helmet. Fuck lot of good two inches of polystyrene will do if an HGV drives over your head. Typical disingenuous journalism that subtly shifts some blame to the poor victim.

29. MrSki

They also got the location wrong. It was at the junction of York Way not King's Cross Road.

30. 100% masahiko

I don't know how people could eat in that macdonalds opposite that.