Crystal Palace/Sydenham/Penge Chitter Chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by FoxyRed, Aug 4, 2010.

1. haushoch

haushoch Well-Known Member

Tea Party in Crystal Palace - All welcome:

I'm involved with organising an event to celebrate 90 years of equal voting rights.

It's taking place in Crystal Palace this coming Saturday 30th June, 2.30-4.30pm at St John the Evangelist, Sylvan Rd, Upper Norwood, SE19 2RX, and while it's organised through the Croydon North Labour Party, it's open to all.

Entry is £8, £4 concessions, kids under 12 free and it's £4 for kids of 12 and up to 18 - this gets you homemade cakes and sandwiches (vegan options will be available), plus tea, coffee, juices.

There's also going to be live music from Allie K. Stewart (Songstress, by Allie K Stewart) and Alison O'Melia, who plays a mean accordion, and will perform songs from the period, a 15 minute theatre performance from Vanessa Hammick from the Croydon Cycle Theatre - she has a much longer show on democracy & cycling, that will be performed at the Edinburgh Festival, and is going to perform an extract of it: The Golden Path (Vanessa Hammick for Croydon Cycle Theatre)

We also will have stalls and speakers and a kids' play area and kids' activities, plus face-painting.

We've hired the small church hall, but it comes with lots of outdoor space - and the weather forecast for Saturday is great :), so this should be a really lovely afternoon out. :):):)

Tickets can be bought at the door, or here:

Croydon North Labour Party

For dietary requirements, please email Leila: bh_leila at hotmail.com

Transport Information:
    • Crystal Palace train station
    • 410 bus from Crystal Palace station, stop M on Anerley Hill
    • 410 bus from Norwood junction station, stop F, Portland Rd
    • 410 bus from West Croydon Bus Station, Stop B3
    • Disabled parking on site and plenty of on-street parking
    Equaliteas_A4_Rev_A copy.jpg

PS: Cleared with Editor

Guineveretoo likes this.
  2. haushoch

I found out earlier today that two Crystal Palace primary schools are having their summer fete on Saturday, 30th of June too, with a finish time of 3pm.

So our event closing at 4:30 pm would make it really tight if any of those families were thinking of coming along, which would of course be lovely.

We'll keep the hall open longer if people are up for it and are turning up a bit later. :)

3. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

There are loads of local schools having their summer fair/fete tomorrow! Certainly more than 2. :)

The two nearest schools - Cypress and Rockmount - are 2 of those, and perhaps that’s the ones you meant....

haushoch likes this.
  4. haushoch

Yes, those were the two that I was told about. :) Our timing is immaculate...not.:(

Guineveretoo likes this.
  5. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

It's always like that in June
    I'm going to this

haushoch likes this.
  6. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

I’m organising and running a stall at one of those school fairs, so I’m not.

haushoch likes this.
  7. haushoch

Did any Urbanites go to the EqualiTeas tea party in Crystal Palace? Did you enjoy the afternoon? Was there something you didn't like? Would you mind sending me a PM with feedback? We'd like to organise more community events, and we'd like to learn from this one. Lesson Number 1 is clearly to check whether other stuff happens on the day. :facepalm:

8. TruXta

TruXta tired

Not me guv.

OTOH we had lunch at the new pub in CP called The Faber Fox. Pretty swanky and with prices to suit. Have to say it was really well done up with a cracking split level terrace with glimpses of the London skyline. Food was nice too, if not exactly terrific value for money. Will have to go back in the evening sometime this summer.