1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crystal Palace/Sydenham/Penge Chitter Chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by FoxyRed, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

its probably best for crystal palace as a community that it remains that way. Fixing things up and renovating them is such a double edged sword at this time...

2. Maggot

Maggot .

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Crystal Palace to take someone on valentines day?

3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I guess the French Bistro (Joannas?) or Tamnag Thai are the most romantique

Maggot likes this.
  4. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Joanna's is my favourite, but you'll be lucky to get a table. Urban Orient if you like Vietnamese.

Maggot likes this.
  5. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Tamnag looks nice but I was unimpressed by the food.

Maggot likes this.
  6. Maggot

Maggot .

Urban Orient is closed on Tuesdays. Tamnag Thai used to be good, but judging by recent reviews has gone downhill. The menu at Mediterranea looks great. Anyone been there?

7. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Never been, sorry. Dem does lovely Turkish food, but it's a bit barn-like inside.

8. flypanam

flypanam Slip the leash and the chain

Mediterranea is very good. I think it does the best pizza in CP, definitely better than 400 rabbits. Some of the seafood dishes are good, but if you want really good seafood go next door to the Portuguese restaurant

Maggot likes this.
  9. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

I remember going to Joanna's when it was an American themed upmarket burger place; just look whats happened to it now!
    There was a similar place down towards West Norwood which closed years ago.
    As always, I have been to Domali's just round the corner from Joanna's a few times. I have also done a bag of chips overlooking the views at Crystal Palace (don't think it was Valentines day though). Depending on your bag, around the other corner is The Crystal Palace Market

10. Maggot

Maggot .

Thanks Flypanam! I don't eat seafood, but my fellow diner does.

11. Maggot

Maggot .

That doesn't look very romantic. And I like Domalis, but that's not very romantic either.

12. hash tag

You never know, they might dim the lighting, put on table cloths and a few candles :D

Maggot likes this.
  13. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Dem is excellent as Trux says but not the most romantic of settings!

I really like Lorenzo's in a proper old school Italian kind of way.

tommers and Maggot like this.
  14. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Domali has had a refurbishment and looked a lot better for it.

15. TruXta

TruXta Tired

I keep meaning to go there...

colacubes likes this.
  16. hash tag

Hey Mags, let us know where you choose and some of us will come and err, serenade you :):thumbs:

17. Maggot

Maggot .

If it's going badly, I will get you to scare her off. :D

hash tag likes this.
  18. hash tag

Going badly? Almost sounds like a young relationship but not first date, not on vals night :eek::confused:

19. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

You could try A Torre. I prefer that to Mediterranea (which I've only been to once).

Numidie is probably your best bet for romantic. It's got a cellar bar for dimly lit drinking in afterwards. Haven't been in there for a while though.

Dem is very good (it's my son's new favourite restaurant apparently :)) but yeah, not really Valentine's night (unless she likes grilled meat I suppose). I'm glad that somebody is making a go of it there.

Maggot likes this.
  20. Maggot

Maggot .

Are they good for veggies?

21. TruXta

TruXta Tired

If you like tagines.

Maggot likes this.
  22. tommers

No idea.

Here's their menu.

23. Maggot

Maggot .

A Torre's menu has starters, meat and fish. So not really.

24. tommers

yeah I wouldn't recommend Torre for veggies.

Here's a review of Numidie that I found, it's from 2002 but I liked it anyway

Jay Rayner: Numidie, London

Maggot likes this.
  25. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

We went to Numidie about a year ago and found the service appalling - very slow, forgotten items etc. A shame, as on our one previous visit about eight years before we'd liked it.

tommers likes this.
  26. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Only been to the restaurant bit once, can't recall any problems with the service, but then again it was a quiet night. Maybe they're just short-staffed. The bar downstairs can be good fun and we've seen some good musicians/singers down there. And heard some appalling 90s techno :D

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Palace is getting a new boozer! A new "4,284 square foot site will open in the heart of Crystal Palace on Westow Hill in the area’s popular central triangle this summer."

Guineveretoo likes this.
  28. tommers

Probably in the old puzzle / guantanamo bay or whatever it was called afterwards. Been shut for ages.

Think they bought the black sheep as well and have combined them. Will be pretty big.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  29. phillm

phillm Well-Known Member

My late great Dad was working at Woolwich Arsenal at the time and remembers seeing the fire light up the sky. He also saw the eruption of Vesuvius in 1944 when he was in the Royal Signals advancing up Italy.

Maggot likes this.
  30. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Where's this exactly?