1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crystal Palace/Sydenham/Penge Chitter Chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by FoxyRed, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

2. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

I can't make it tonight guys, sorry. Definately another time. :)

3. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

4. lemontop

lemontop hungry luma

Yes I am up for this.

friendofdorothy and gaijingirl like this.
  5. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

gaijingirl likes this.
  6. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Great. boohoo and plan to be there at 7:30 - see everyone then.

boohoo and friendofdorothy like this.
  7. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

Thanks for the tag, but I am not out and about on my own yet, and still have friends staying until tomorrow.

Miss-Shelf and gaijingirl like this.
  8. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

lemontop 's partner I can't recall your board name sorry. I just remember lemontop because it reminds me of pudding:oops:

9. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

I am staying in to quilt while I still have table space cos some flatmates are away
    Have a good eve friends

10. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

we'll miss you...x

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  11. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Can't do this, but thanks very much for tagging me and I hope you all have a good time!

gaijingirl likes this.
  12. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

The always good DeSErter get to Sydenham: They call it Sydenham.

I should really get around to visiting some of these places, having been living just up the hill for three years.:oops:

Miss-Shelf, gaijingirl and ska invita like this.
  13. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Thanks for sharing this.... Nice to hear about a couple of music nights to check out especially.... And a vegan cafe? Never noticed that before!

Sydenham's most illustrious resident is probably Eleanor Marx... Think she lived on Jews walk....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  14. Monkeygrinder's Organ

The United Sounds of Sydenham seems like it would be worth a go doesn't it. Maybe we can get a SL drinks down there sometime.

I've noticed the vegan place but never cottoned on that it was vegan.

Rutita1 and ska invita like this.
  15. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Check out the SXSE Drinks happening on the 11th December - thread in this forum.

16. ska invita

Just missed a United Sounds of Sydenham United Sound of Sydenham - Dubplate Pearl was on the bill so it must be good :) looks like a nice little pub session - monthly and vinyl only :) :)

Miss-Shelf and snowy_again like this.
  17. ska invita

18. ska invita

I read a brief mention of a pub in Sydenham that got demolished for flats... The Sydenham society kicked up a fuss, the council forced the "developer"to rebuild it, which they did, and it now stands empty.

What pub is this and where is it and what's the latest!

19. Monkeygrinder's Organ

That'll be The Greyhound at the roundabout at the bottom of Westwood Hill/top of Sydenham Road. The rebuild has been going on (or often going on in theory only I think) for years. They've only opened up the site and put the To Let boards up very recently, hopefully someone will take it on.

ska invita likes this.
  20. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

The Greyhound, Sydenham - it's right in the middle by the roundabout. Rebuild TheGreyhound (@TheGreyhoundSyd) on Twitter

ska invita likes this.
  21. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

That really is an impressive set of images boohoo :cool:
    I've bumped your post because reading this useful post (with good links) I found this really good map of the canal applied to Google Maps, which has some of those images located accurately. I'd imagine there's a fair few Urbanites who live closer to the old course of the canal than they realise! Calling Bermondsey, New Cross, Brockley, Honour Oak, Forest Hill, Sydenham, Penge, Anerley, South Norwood & Croydon Urbz!

croydon canal c.1816

Inspired, I took myself off to Betts Park, Anerley today to go and have a look at (probably) the best preserved remnant of the course of the old canal. Here's a few of my pics:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oryx, Puddy_Tat, boohoo and 1 other person like this.
  22. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Nice pics. The old maps show some bits of the canal still around in 1893 even though another article suggested that it had all be filled in around the 1870s. South Norwood Library has a booklet on the canal.

brogdale likes this.
  23. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

london canals website includes quite a bit on the croydon canal

brogdale likes this.
  24. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

"Can we move this thread to the Brixton forum?

Always thought it was odd it wasn't"

Maggot and Rutita1 like this.
  25. TruXta

TruXta Prawn Bokers

:mad:

Rutita1 likes this.
  26. ska invita

27. Among the little mosaics on the front of Sydenham Centre on Sydenham High St is a one commemorating the Croydon Canal. It makes it look almost like Venice!
    There was an old broadside printed of a song about the Croydon Canal, collected in 'Victoria's Inferno', Jon Raven's book of songs of the industrial revolution.
    Songs of the Inland Waterways : All Hail This Grand Day

Guineveretoo and Maggot like this.
  28. The Greyhound pub is currently on sale for £750,000 or for rent at £80,000 per year. I'd love it to be a pub again, but I doubt it will be. It's a nice building - they've done a pretty good job reconstructing it - but I can't see any pub chains or independent publicans having the balls to take it on. I can see it becoming a Nandos or Pizza Express or something, which would be a pity but wouldn't be the end of the world. I slightly worry it will sit there empty for a long time.

29. Maggot

Maggot .

I went to a great restaurant in CP this evening called Kish Mish. It has a tiny entrance on the Parade next to Nazi Food and Wine, but inside it is massive! Tasty Persian food with lots of veggie options. Turned out to be Persian New year too. Nowruz Mubarek!

Urban meal is in order. It's BYO (with corkage) too.

ska invita and Guineveretoo like this.
  30. I was wondering about that place on Saturday night. We were out in CP, looking for somewhere to eat. My girlfriend scorned the idea of even investigating it (on the snobby basis that most of the other places on the Parade are a bit crap looking). We ended up in the Market place, which cost an arm and a leg: good food, but not good enough to justify the Central-London-and-then-some prices. I'll try Kish Mish next time.

Maggot likes this.