1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crystal Palace 2016/2017

Discussion in 'football' started by ffsear, Jun 15, 2016.

1. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Who remembers the last time palace thought they were big time?

Stand up, if you hate man you. :hmm:

2. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

[​IMG]

hash tag and Badgers like this.
  3. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

Now I'm going to sound so ancient; but I can remember paying 15p to get into a normal league game at Griffin Park in the 4th Div. That was 1977. Just for reference I had a paper round which I got £2.20 a week for and when I started marking rounds I'd get about another £4 on top. So I could go and watch any London club, Tottenham, Arsenal, whoever on a paper round wages. Went to quite a few aways too and England games at Wembley (expensive! I think it was like 75p even in the 70s!). The only limiting factor was if the ground sold out but at that age I was always happy to get in early, it was only later when I discovered beer that I understood the idiots who turned up at 2.50pm and got locked out.

4. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

We all follow the chelsea over land and sea and leicester , you must have heard that mate ?

5. sealion

It isn't you know. They did get in there end and have a go but took a shoeing.

6. sealion

Me and my mates would go to big london games when Wall were playing away. Turn up at spurs v chelsea with half a quid and pay on the turnstiles. Happy days.

passenger and bromley like this.
  7. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Lol. I thought everyone added the ...and Leicester bit in that song not just us, except Leicester fans of course

8. co-op

:D

Definitely a Chelsea thing

sealion likes this.
  9. sealion

We sung it adding west ham. I thought each club used it and just added the name of there fighting rivals.

10. BCBlues

I am really surprised, I just assumed it was a given to add in " and Leicester". I'd like to know who started it and why? Probably the late legend Mickey Greenaway who started most of the songs in The Shed.

11. bromley

We sing and Leicester as well. Apparently it started due to a motorway road signs stating a load of cities and Leicester. Bizarre and I think Chelsea started it.

12. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

What, after they killed one of our fans?

sealion likes this.
  13. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Not sure if you mean the Arsenal thing, but that most certainly wasn't bullshit. I saw it with my own eyes, and living in the east end at the time got to chat to plenty of Arsenal fans about it. No doubt it was a bunch of opportunists trying to make a name for themselves. Bit of a sign of the times really.

sealion likes this.
  14. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Some other bods remember it too (though the first one places it in the wrong era) :

sealion and passenger like this.
  15. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

You should start '...and Tranmere!'. See what happens. You never know :thumbs:.

Maggot, sealion and co-op like this.
  16. co-op

:thumbs:

& Palace add Brighton.

Charlton don't have a rival so they have to borrow Leicester off Chelsea. I'm not kidding about this, I swear I have heard them sing this.

sealion likes this.
  17. co-op

I just assumed there was some big ruck in the 70s or 80s - and I'm guessing it was at Leicester due to that Chelsea away crowd.

When did you start going?

18. BCBlues

Late 60 '. First game was Coventry away we won 3-0 and Hudson scored a blinder. I didn't go as regular as I would have liked over the years but yeah 70s and 80s away games were the best.

When oppo fans sing "where we're you when you were shit" you can see all the grey haired old gits grinning at each other.

I've stopped going altogether now, getting a tickets for our games is like winning the lotto.

How about you, been going long? Still go?
    And all the others on here? How long and still go?

19. bromley

Search google for Charlton taking the North Bank and see what you come up with.
    I said about that we say end Leicester and a Chelsea fan has said they have no rivalry with Leicester!

20. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Why would I want to do that? I've got absolutely no interest in it :confused:

sealion likes this.
  21. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Is it me or is this now the thread to be seen on:thumbs:

sealion, BCBlues and bromley like this.
  22. bromley

Fair. For those interested in that kind of thing let's just say the palace effort was hardly anything special.

23. co-op

First game was ?1977? I think, Brentford vs Bradford City, 4-0 to Brentford who were 2nd bottom, over Bradford who were going for the title (and I think won it that year). Then followed 20 years of many games home and away for Palace and Brentford (long story, a family divided etc) + random others, I had a mate who was a big Derby fan so we'd always go and watch them if we could. But through my teens I would go and watch whatever the best game in London was if I wasn't going to GP or SP. Had a season ticket a Palace whenever they were in the Prem.

Still go randomly, one thing about Palace you can usually get the tickets...there's at least a couple of New Chelsea refusniks I've met down there, which I like, although they haven't gone totally Palace.

I usually make about 2 games a season now as I live out of London and so do most of my old mates so we do reunions at matches. I know Selhurst is crap as a consumer experience in many ways but it's a proper football ground still, the Main Stand must be pre WW1 and the Arfur is from another era too. When the crowd get going under that massive low metal roof on the Arfur, everyone stands up, its a bit like the old days, I have to say when I do go to Stamford Bridge these days it all seems a bit lame.

sealion and BCBlues like this.
  24. co-op

This is like the theatre review.

sealion likes this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

You can't lose your team of birth? I was born Palace and still am, though these days, due to where I live and who with, as a compromise, we have been to Brentford a few times and really enjoyed it...pleased to see the Bees have been mentioned a few times!

sealion likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You can if they turn into a entity you no longer recognise or even like, and the higher league experience turns into something you don't even like and which costs a fucking bomb.

co-op and bromley like this.
  27. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I would have made an exception for a franchise like MK thingys or the Moaners spin off team, whoever they are.

28. bromley

sealion likes this.
  29. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I actually think Tranmere are taunting Charlton with their crest:

[​IMG]
    A boiled cauliflower floret - that must be a reference to Charlton's dishwater dull nature as a club; an aggressive ninja star; two (count them!) inverted C's; and a ball with a kebab skewer through it, which must surely be a reference to your on-the-field offerings of late?

I reckon they're asking for it!!!

Maggot, sealion and co-op like this.
  30. co-op

Or they pull down the ground and replace it with a plastic box somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

To be honest I've never been into the I-bleed-red-and-blue stuff anyway, seems a bit obviously retarded to me. Not to mention as you point out that it just makes you a hostage to whichever dickhead buys your club and decides to screw it over. Palace have been quite lucky we haven't had a Vincent Tan. Yet.

The clubs and grounds that I used to go to have basically vanished, just like the city I used to live in & the society that created both; the idea that I would still have the same emotional relationship with the things that have replaced them is daft to me, it's the kind of crappy market-philosophy they have on TV ads for razors or crisps or whatever.

/middle-age moan.

bromley, sealion and editor like this.