1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Croydon, the verb?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by brogdale, Jan 25, 2014.

1. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

To "Croydonise":rolleyes:

Snobby twats in Sevenoaks reckon that's a suitable verb to describe what is being done to the part of their town near the station. So 'bad' buildings and housing that's 'not in keeping' amount to a "Croydonisation".

2. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

People who look down on Croydon are usually snobby wankers tbh.

Chz, oryx, MellySingsDoom and 8 others like this.
  3. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

There is a lot to love about Croydon and a lot to dislike.
    As a whole though, Croydon gets a bad rep just from the name which seems to conjurer up an image of the worst built up and rundown parts of the area (and of London in general).

Personally I love it, and the less snobby bellends that come here the better.

Sevenoaks can kiss my balls.

fogbat, oryx, MellySingsDoom and 3 others like this.
  4. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Conceptually, it's rather odious. Linguistically, I have no problem with verbing a place name. You occasionally hear about the Balkanisation of somewhere, to describe several intractably opposed factions. I think that's quite neat and expressive. Language is fluid, of course...

TotallyGreatGuy likes this.
  5. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I agree.
    I have no problem with it linguistically. In fact I quite like it. It's just all the "Yuck, I don't want to be like those horrible plebs".

spanglechick likes this.
  6. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Shit story. "One person in Sevenoaks quoted saying something about Croydon, which we saw on a website run by the same people who run this one".

7. brogdale

It was in the "Advertiser".

"Inside Croydon" is a much better source of the real story...

8. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The Sub-Standard had an article about Croydon becoming the new Barcelona about a year or so ago ....made me laugh all right......!

It does have many good points - but the 1960/70's brutalistic architecture does not help.

9. brogdale

True,there are some unattractive corporate edifices in the CBD, but some of so-called brutalism has the potential to offer distinctive public spaces which, with a little imagination, could be developed into something that works for the town and people. The poor old St. Georges Walk has fallen upon very hard times and has been under threat of re-development for ages, but architecturally has some value IMHO...

[​IMG]

MellySingsDoom likes this.
  10. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I have some nice friends who live in Croydon but I find it hard to like the place in any way. I hear the Council gave permission lately for even more skyscrapers to be built.

11. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I don't mind Croydon, it's like a little provincial city stuck on the bottom of London. I like the mini skyscrapers and the trams.

brogdale likes this.
  12. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The trams are brilliant (every good urban town / city has them) - Croydon needs "softening" ......

13. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

I agree - something could be done there - starting with a jet wash on the roof. So much is caused by bollocks over developers / facility owners demanding too high rents for space. We do not all want twee chocolate box development with roses and "ye olde tea shoppe !"

MellySingsDoom likes this.
  14. Belushi

Just cleaning the roof would be an improvement!

15. Belushi

Ha! Beat me to it Dave!

davesgcr likes this.
  16. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I became fascinated with Croydon recently. I've only ever been twice. Once two years ago and once again earlier this month.

First time, I didn't really take notice of it because I was in a bit of a hurry so just went out there and back and it just seemed like another bland extension of London.

Second time earlier this month I was there and stayed in a hotel. I was looking out from high up over central Croydon and started to take stock of just how built up it is for outer London. Parts of it were almost like a US city like Jersey or New York. It's kind of an anomaly in that most part of outer London get less built up as you go out but Croydon does the opposite. I started to wonder what it'd be like to live there. From the look of it there were quite a lot of high rise apartments.

17. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

St Georges Walk is done for I think, Whitgift Estate and Croydon Council have finally settled the squabbling between Westfield and Hammersons which has been going on for years over extending and developing the Whitgift Centre, but from what I can work out St Georges Walk isn't involved as it is mostly owned by Minerva who have been trying to do the big Croydon redevelopment for years. I used to work for a company that operated a business close to St Georges Walk which was under a series of short term leases held by (Minerva and was always going to be closing within months, and that was 8 years ago and it had been going on for years then.

http://thecroydonpartnership.com/

http://www.croydonsfuture.info/mid-croydon.html (bit old this one)

Another long running saga is the land adjacent to East Croydon which Croydon Council managed to fuck up the award to developers their as well.

18. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Also, bit off topic I guess but this is the dumbest building in Croydon, they have been building it since I lived on Addiscombe Road about 4 years ago, I am sure it was just like one or two guys for years.

its in the middle of notorious traffic jam/one way system. effectively a tower block that is also a roundabout. its incredibly daft and a great example of the stupidity of some property developers and planning departments.

http://www.islandcroydon.com/

19. brogdale

Agreed; a pretty tragic location. I actually think the site was totally mothballed for a couple of (post-crisis) years, and has only been workrd on again in the last 6 months.

Rather laughably the hoarding adverts wrapped around the build exhorted potential purchasers to "live in exquisite beauty"!:facepalm:

20. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

That makes sense re the moth balling. Really very little happened for a number of years.

21. Belushi

Jesus, some of the one bedroom flats are only 35m square.

22. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Live in a shoebox in the middle of a roundabout. Sounds great doesn't it.

Manter likes this.
  23. Belushi

But it's Skyline Living! In a buzzing location!

fogbat and Dan U like this.
  24. brogdale

Well....talk of the devil.....

[​IMG]

So that'll have been that squall line, as well.

An ill-fated development.

Dan U likes this.
  25. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

croydon actually has a lot going for it, to be fair. lack of yuppies making it actually affordable, for a start - it's bad rep and unfashionability has kept away the post code wankery that infects every corner of london. it has a lot of green areas, affordable houses for families to settle, multi-cultural feel with resturants and food from all over the world. some good schools, leafy suburbs and densly urban areas seriously, watch this space. i'd sooner live in croydon than many, many parts of london. at least no one will have to pay half a million quid for a shoebox there in the forseable.

brogdale likes this.
  26. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Coincidence time! If they'd finished it a bit bloody quicker this wouldn't have happened

27. BigMoaner

for all you croydonites, check out roti masters on st georges walk. great cafe and great food.

eatmorecheese and brogdale like this.
  28. brogdale

OK, and while we're on matters Croydonic....what do we feel about the "Cronx" name used by some for our beloved old town? I mean even the newish micro-brewery down in New Addington is called the Cronx Brewery!

Is it Croydon:Bronx? Is that it?

BigMoaner likes this.
  29. BigMoaner

not quite the bronx, is it:D. too man mondeo men!

did you read the advetiser today? six stabbings in 10 days. that's fucking terrible. hope it really doesn't kick off...

30. brogdale

Not a good week at all.:(