Croydon - nightlife, accommodation, things to do and general chat

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by strung out, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

So this was a fairly random twitter thread I saw retweeted

Stick with it, it's relevant to Croydon in about 3 tweets

Check out @Feargal_Sharkey’s Tweet:

Poi E likes this.
  2. Callie

Callie Pivoting

He covers a lot of the wandle walk I do but obviously veers off around Hackbridge, probably around and through the nature reserve.

Miss-Shelf and Dan U like this.
  3. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Is it really Feargal Sharkey?

4. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I hope so. I like the idea of him tottering past the local area. That first part of the journey must have been a bit of a letdown.

Dan U and Maggot like this.
  5. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I might give the rest of the walk a go. Never thought of following the river wandle.

6. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

A good start wasn't hard to find.

7. hash tag

hash tag never too old

8. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

it does appear to be by scrolling through his twitter feed.

for example

Poi E and Maggot like this.
  9. ATOMIC SUPLEX

He's looking quite good. I was recently working with one of the O'neil brothers (wrote teenage kicks) sons, and he was 35 or something.

Poi E and Dan U like this.
  10. crojoe

crojoe Member

11. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

I've walked all the tributaries of the Thames in London, including the buried ones (they pop up to the surface here and there) and I can fully recommend the Wandle walk. The Brent's my other favourite.

Maggot likes this.
  12. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

13. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Ooh so close to home. Good job I went in the opposite direction. Bit disappointed my daughters school didn't put out a note about bus disruption.

14. editor

editor Forked with electrons

All sounds a bit half arsed.

15. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I can only assume there is more to it than that. They have armed gunmen with rifles on roofs. I don't think the locals saying stuff like "they could have at least shot him in the leg" etc is very helpful. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
    Its a very quiet and villagey part of Croydon. I usually go jogging up past there (through the park by pagehurst road and then on to the south norwood park). I know it's gruesome but I feel like I have missed out on a little action.

16. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

I am glad that the police didn't take the advice of that wanker who was watching, and just shoot the guy because they could! We are a bit more civilised than that, thankfully. (not to mention the times when the police have shot someone they thought had a gun who turned out to be unarmed....)

There are enough armed police there that, if it looks he is going to open fire, he will be shot.

I was going to go to Ashburton Park this afternoon with the granddaughter - went to Wandle Park instead. Squirrels are not as overfed in Wandle Park, I discovered. But the cafe was closed.

Maggot likes this.
  17. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Still going on. They have set up floodlights.

Wonder where he goes for a wee...

18. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Yes, that guy sounded a bit like "this is a massive inconvenience, why don't they just shoot him and get it over with?"
    I think by the sounds of what was over heard he could be threatening suicide, but only time will tell.
    Locals can't get back to their homes. 70 people with nowhere to go home tonight.

19. Guineveretoo

I am trying not to get drawn into the speculation - I just hope it is resolved soon and properly, and that the guy gets the help he needs.

The council have set up shelters, apparently, and the local MP is around, updating via social media.

20. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Just saw a police van race off down there as I was taking my daughter home from judo.

21. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Seems the van I saw was to take the man away. The incident has concluded peacefully apparently.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  22. ATOMIC SUPLEX

23. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Seems he had called the police on himself.

24. Guineveretoo

That was reported in the first news report I heard in the morning!

25. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Oh I didn't see that.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  26. Guineveretoo

That's why people were speculating that it was a suicide bid... or a cry for help by a potential suicide. At least, that was my understanding of what was going on.