1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Croydon - nightlife, accommodation, things to do and general chat

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by strung out, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Khan signed off the Westfield development today.

The mythical beast may yet awake from its slumber, who knows, maybe a single brick will be laid and Westfield will begin to rise. Somewhere in 2020. ish.

2. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Christ traffic into Croydon would be awful. I guess they'll just knock down some period buildings for car parking. As malls are dying (last one built in the US was in 2006) Croydon celebrates the conception of a new one. 'Twas ever this for poor Croydon.

3. Leafster

Leafster Nurturing green fingers

I remember going to look at one of the previous development showcases for the Whitgift in a disused shop in Katherine Street (?) years ago. It was all retail outlets and eating places and was to close down at night once the shops were shut. I talked to one of the blokes who was extolling the virtues of this monument to consumerism and suggested it would create a barren wasteland in the middle of Croydon after shopping hours. I suggested it would be better as a mixed development and he looked blankly at me as though I was speaking an alien language.

4. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Mixed development is exactly what is coming.

There is also a proposal currently in to turn the basement of the car park off Surrey Street in to a temporary night club, although it's being opposed.

5. Maggot

Maggot If specified, this will replace the title that

There's a great band playing at the Oval Tavern tonight. Anyone interested?

6. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I can't make it but I know John :D He's an old festival mate and was responsible for Mrs Mills Experience getting our gig at Beautiful Days a few years back :cool: Top bloke :thumbs:

Guineveretoo and Maggot like this.
  7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Traffic coming into Croydon down the Mitcham Lane from Tooting area has always been awful for as long as I can remember. Time for park n ride?

Poi E likes this.
  8. Maggot

Maggot If specified, this will replace the title that

I met John and mentioned you to him. He said hello, and told me how Mrs Mills was responsible for punk :D

colacubes likes this.
  9. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Ace :D

10. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

The other day coming back from Purley War Hospital on the bus I spotted this new place on south end.
    The Ludoquist - Board Game Cafe Bar in Central Croydon
    A board came cafe. Cool I thought. I even let out a "whoa", which might have been a little over the top (and was mocked by the bad kids a the back of the bus).
    I'm not into board games at all, but I thought it was a nice idea. Seems like it's more of a board game pub than cafe.
    Then I lamented that it was probably a bit pie in the sky and would soon close.

I passed it again last weekend on the way to a restaurant, and goodness me, it was rammed.

Callie likes this.
  11. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Been meaning to go there, it always looks busy. Urban trip? :D

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  12. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Yes, but I think we should research which game first. . . . and then get there at 11am before the nerds take over with their D&D.
    Not cludo. Played that at Christmas. It's mega shit.
    £3 gets you a session that covers as many games as want to play and lasts all day.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  13. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I would imagine that staff can recommend games. I have no idea, not really played anything since being a kid and occasional drunk cluedo or monopoly. Oooh and Scrabble!

I'm guessing they have a wider variety of interesting and non standard games.

14. ATOMIC SUPLEX

They can indeed. Apparently their 'games gurus are on hand to recommend games'

I like the idea of this one. . . . .

15. Hoss

Hoss ...It was the blurst of times...

I went to The Ludoquist last Friday with my 3 year old daughter. The staff are lovely, very helpful, and don't make you feel like a twat, even when you struggle to disassemble Hungry Hippos and fit it back in the box correctly.

Fantastic selection of games most of which I didn't get to explore because 3 year old...but have simple classics like snakes & ladders, kerplunk, loads of themed monopoly, through to proper geeky stuff like Settlers of Catan, Perudo , and loads of other beautiful looking stuff.

Had a panini which was ok.

During the week it's £1 or £2 per player up until 4pm.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Guineveretoo and Callie like this.
  16. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Aw, wish I'd popped in with my daughter in the holidays now.