1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Croydon - nightlife, accommodation, things to do and general chat

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by strung out, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

There is no recent planning application as far as I can see. They got permission to convert the back into a couple of flats, some years ago, and there is permission for change of use of the ground floor, but nothing about rebuilding or demolition.

2. Guineveretoo

Just seen this article listing 10 historic figures who lived in Croydon. I already knew about some of these (Conan Doyle’s plaque is round the corner from me, and Samuel Coleridge-Taylor has some buildings named after him and a photo up in Stanley Halls). I didn’t know all of them though.

10 remarkable people honoured with Blue Plaques around Croydon

ETA And there isn't one for William Stanley, the Victorian inventor, factory owner and philanthropist who founded Stanley Halls and the Stanley technical school which was attached to it, but which is now an academy.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I like the fact that most of the world's biggest celebritys before 1946 spent at least one night in Croydon.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  4. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Last ditch/revised planning application for Westfield tonight.

Think the developers have the council right where they want them, it's an absolute farce straddling two different administrations and two different London Mayors so can't see the planning committee doing anything but agreeing it tonight, particularly as the CPO's expire next Sept.

Be interesting if Khan calls it in, as inside Croydon have noted its now a residential development with a shopping centre attached, rather than vice versa as was initially mooted a decade or so ago. Admittedly the retail landscape has changed a bit since then.

Croydon may yet see the mythical Westfield

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

6. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

work to start in 2019 :D

Dan U likes this.
  8. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Hopefully we'll start to see some improvements before. Businesses that don't plan be in westfields itself will start to position themselves around it.

9. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Like St Georges Walk :D

Poi E, Dan U and TopCat like this.
  10. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

They will knock a lot of Croydon down before the scheme falls apart.

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. Guineveretoo

I spotted yesterday that there is a sign attached to the scaffolding which advertises a joinery company. This rather suggests they are not demolishing it :)