Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Croydon - nightlife, accommodation, things to do and general chat

London_Calling

Pleasant and unpatronising
I know the non-league scene well in the area and Croydon Athletic are probably the better bet, you certainly don't want to go to Croydon FC and Whyteleafe, while pleasant enough, is a few miles down the road.

I suppose you could think about a tram ride to Carshalton or Tooting and Mitcham, or even AFC Wimbledon. Sutton isn't far away, etc, etc, etc. Locally, the above is the better option, especially as they have a very decent clubhouse and a community.

ernestolynch

Banned
Banned
another thing to consider is which football team i go and watch when i can't make it back to bristol, or rovers are playing too far away. and don't say palace.
Depends whether you are a glory boy who will thumb his nose at non-league or not. Croydon has two teams, Croydon FC play at the Arena in South Norwood, in the Combined Counties (Step 9). Croydon Athletic are top of the Ryman Div One South, same as Dulwich Hamlet, I went there last week and they have a very nice little ground and clubhouse. They are between TH Pond and the cemetery.
There are lots of other grass roots clubs where you would enjoy SUPPORTING as well: Carshalton, Sutton, Bromley, Cray, Kingstonian, AFC Wimbledon, Dulwich...

Depends whether you are a glory boy who will thumb his nose at non-league or not. Croydon has two teams, Croydon FC play at the Arena in South Norwood, in the Combined Counties (Step 9). Croydon Athletic are top of the Ryman Div One South, same as Dulwich Hamlet, I went there last week and they have a very nice little ground and clubhouse. They are between TH Pond and the cemetery.
There are lots of other grass roots clubs where you would enjoy SUPPORTING as well: Carshalton, Sutton, Bromley, Cray, Kingstonian, AFC Wimbledon, Dulwich...
yeah, when i do move to the area (whether it's croydon or somewhere more central) i definitely won't be looking to support a league club. i'd still go to rovers wherever possible, but can't be arsed with the shit that comes with league football at a different club. whyteleafe looks nice and i've got a few other rovers exile friends who follow afc wimbledon. i'd probably try out a few different places before i found one i liked.

ernestolynch

Banned
Banned
yeah, when i do move to the area (whether it's croydon or somewhere more central) i definitely won't be looking to support a league club. i'd still go to rovers wherever possible, but can't be arsed with the shit that comes with league football at a different club. whyteleafe looks nice and i've got a few other rovers exile friends who follow afc wimbledon. i'd probably try out a few different places before i found one i liked.
Non-league is a fucking breath of fresh air. May lock horns with you next season depending on who you end up supporting.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

I wouldn't move to croydon... Brixton's just down the road and is infinitely nicer. croydon's milton keynes essentially from what i've seen. entirely lackin in soul.
I might have said the same before I spent some time there. I have lived in and around Brixton but I would rather be where I am now. I am in a nice street in a nice house though.

If you come straight off the train or road and head to an office or the town centre it's not going to give you a very good impression of what's really on offer. There is a great community spirt round my way and zero towering blocks of offices or flats.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

I've only had to go there to visit the home office i guess. so maybe biased. but walking around the centre while im waiting for my appointment has almost made me have second thoughts about getting citizenship :D
Then you have only seen some of the worst of croydon. I had to go to the home office with my wife before we moved here and that might well have been what put me off moving here for so long. Still, it worked out ok for me in the end. I got a far cheaper house than I would anywhere else and I am happier with it more so than any other house I have ever lived in in london. I am more of a family man than I was when I was younger though (when I didn't have a family).

ATOMIC SUPLEX

"ONLY 20 MINS ON TRAIN TO VICTORIAAAAAAA" and "DUBSTEP! DUBSTEP!" but it's ok. .
It's far less than 20 minutes to victoria.

Dubstep sucks.

It might be better to say it was the home Arthur Conan Doyle.
Sir Philip Green and Martin Clunes could probably afford to live somewhere else if they wanted to.

Gromit

International Man of Misery
Croydon?! That's sawth of da river guv.

I don't do sawth of da river.

/Anon taxi driver

ATOMIC SUPLEX

The massive massive massive cue of black cabs that run for about a mile down the road from East Croydon station at rush hour says different.

Callie

Pivoting
Tram doesn't really go anywhere useful. Unless you live in new addington and want to go to ikea! Needs extending imo

Dan U

Boompty
re the earlier comment about it all being 'chain pubs'

have to disagree with that, on the main drag in Croydon yes it is all chain pubs but step away from that a street or two and Croydon is very well served with decent pubs etc.

when i lived in Addiscombe we had 3 in short walking distance. The Glamorgan (decent food), the Builders Arms (nice fullers pub) and the musical randomness of the Oval Tavern http://ovaltavern.co.uk/default.aspx

thats just one small area of Croydon.

i don't think i ever went out in the high street tbh. local pubs or over to South Croydon for the myriad of decent eateries.

Gromit

International Man of Misery
Re the train line. I've caught the Vic to East Croydon train (and back) too many times. It get very busy and cramped on occasions.

But there are plenty of trains.

tarannau

Mongolian eyed
Yer what?

I think it's probably better to suggest that you have cloth ears, no talent for accents or comedy instead. All things considered like

tarannau

Mongolian eyed
The black sheep is about the only thing folks keep wittering on about in Croydon ime.

It's a bit dull, or am I missing anything?