Croydon - nightlife, accommodation, things to do and general chat

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by strung out, Apr 13, 2010.

1. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I know the non-league scene well in the area and Croydon Athletic are probably the better bet, you certainly don't want to go to Croydon FC and Whyteleafe, while pleasant enough, is a few miles down the road.

I suppose you could think about a tram ride to Carshalton or Tooting and Mitcham, or even AFC Wimbledon. Sutton isn't far away, etc, etc, etc. Locally, the above is the better option, especially as they have a very decent clubhouse and a community.

2. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

Depends whether you are a glory boy who will thumb his nose at non-league or not. Croydon has two teams, Croydon FC play at the Arena in South Norwood, in the Combined Counties (Step 9). Croydon Athletic are top of the Ryman Div One South, same as Dulwich Hamlet, I went there last week and they have a very nice little ground and clubhouse. They are between TH Pond and the cemetery.
    There are lots of other grass roots clubs where you would enjoy SUPPORTING as well: Carshalton, Sutton, Bromley, Cray, Kingstonian, AFC Wimbledon, Dulwich...

3. ernestolynch

Forgot Tooting&Mitcham, nice ground and lots of nearby pubs. Heh heh, in Mitcham - only the brave!

4. strung out

strung out (",)

yeah, when i do move to the area (whether it's croydon or somewhere more central) i definitely won't be looking to support a league club. i'd still go to rovers wherever possible, but can't be arsed with the shit that comes with league football at a different club. whyteleafe looks nice and i've got a few other rovers exile friends who follow afc wimbledon. i'd probably try out a few different places before i found one i liked.

5. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Doesn't it for everyone in London unless you are already on route?

6. ernestolynch

Non-league is a fucking breath of fresh air. May lock horns with you next season depending on who you end up supporting.

7. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I might have said the same before I spent some time there. I have lived in and around Brixton but I would rather be where I am now. I am in a nice street in a nice house though.

If you come straight off the train or road and head to an office or the town centre it's not going to give you a very good impression of what's really on offer. There is a great community spirt round my way and zero towering blocks of offices or flats.

8. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Yes I think this is what i was trying to say.

9. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Then you have only seen some of the worst of croydon. I had to go to the home office with my wife before we moved here and that might well have been what put me off moving here for so long. Still, it worked out ok for me in the end. I got a far cheaper house than I would anywhere else and I am happier with it more so than any other house I have ever lived in in london. I am more of a family man than I was when I was younger though (when I didn't have a family).

10. ATOMIC SUPLEX

It's far less than 20 minutes to victoria.

Dubstep sucks.

It might be better to say it was the home Arthur Conan Doyle.
    Sir Philip Green and Martin Clunes could probably afford to live somewhere else if they wanted to.

11. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Croydon?! That's sawth of da river guv.

I don't do sawth of da river.

/Anon taxi driver

12. ATOMIC SUPLEX

The massive massive massive cue of black cabs that run for about a mile down the road from East Croydon station at rush hour says different.

13. ATOMIC SUPLEX

What's wrong with me? I can't stop.

BigMoaner likes this.
  14. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It's also where Peep Show was set. Make of that what you will.

15. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

:D

16. Callie

Callie Pivoting

You fucking loves it! Those taxi drivers are a nuisance. Bunch of nutters, think they own the road.

17. strung out

strung out (",)

living somewhere that has a tram appeals

18. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

what the hell accent is that supposed to be? :confused::)

19. southside

southside Banned

Geordie?

20. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Tram doesn't really go anywhere useful. Unless you live in new addington and want to go to ikea! Needs extending imo

21. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

I use it to go to Wimbledon. :)

22. Gromit

It's taxi accent that has evolved over the decades (bit like the street Lang in Blade Runner).

It's a mix of Cockney, Indian and African.

23. southside

southside Banned

The tram also goes to Wombledon.

24. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

re the earlier comment about it all being 'chain pubs'

have to disagree with that, on the main drag in Croydon yes it is all chain pubs but step away from that a street or two and Croydon is very well served with decent pubs etc.

when i lived in Addiscombe we had 3 in short walking distance. The Glamorgan (decent food), the Builders Arms (nice fullers pub) and the musical randomness of the Oval Tavern http://ovaltavern.co.uk/default.aspx

thats just one small area of Croydon.

i don't think i ever went out in the high street tbh. local pubs or over to South Croydon for the myriad of decent eateries.

25. Gromit

Re the train line. I've caught the Vic to East Croydon train (and back) too many times. It get very busy and cramped on occasions.

But there are plenty of trains.

26. strung out

strung out (",)

do/did any of you lot ever go to the black sheep bar? i seem to get dragged there far too often...

27. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Yer what?

I think it's probably better to suggest that you have cloth ears, no talent for accents or comedy instead. All things considered like

28. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

about 15 years ago, yeah

it never changes
    :D

29. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

The black sheep is about the only thing folks keep wittering on about in Croydon ime.

It's a bit dull, or am I missing anything?

30. strung out

strung out (",)

my gf's brother is bar manager there. apparently it's 'the only good place to go out in croydon'