Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Croydon - nightlife, accommodation, things to do and general chat

Epona

Tired & Emulsional...
Never lived in Croydon but used to go there fairly frequently, it seems OK compared to a lot of places, and tbh I would rather live in Croydon than where I am right now - I'm technically in London but further out from the centre than you would be in Croydon with far worse transport links, abysmal shopping, and it's really rough and at times quite nasty and depressing here. I wish I'd considered Croydon rather than restricting myself to somewhere "In" London.

southside

Banned
Not just snobbery, but also fuckwitted allusions to immigrants c/o southside.
I grew up there.

Go there and you'll know where I'm coming from and what I have said about Loony House was tongue in cheek but woe betide a fucking joke because someone might cry.

I'm going there on Thursday for band practice because that's where most of my friends live.

Don't be too shocked I have some friends believe it or not.

Belushi

01 811 8055
R.I.P.
basically, the situation is that i am moving to be with her, but i'm not sure whether to move in with her or move to south london somewhere on my own (in a houseshare probably). moving to croydon would be cheaper for both of us, and we'd get to see more of each other if we live together, but i'm slightly reluctant as well because it would mean i'd basically have to adopt her social circle as opposed to having my own life and friends in london.
Eh? were talking about Croydon, its hardly cut off from the rest of London. I go there regularly to see friends - it takes me 15 minutes on the train from Streatham.

Dan U

Boompty
and Dot Cotton

some classic snobbery on this thread btw.

nowt wrong with Croydon really, it's just not as full of trendies from out of London as Brixton and Hackney.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

or is it as utterly depressing as i've heard it is?

good points, bad points, things i should know etc are all gratefully received.
I have lived all over London and Croydon has worked out no better or worse than anywhere else I have lived. Just like anywhere in London there are shit bits and posh bits quite close by.
When I was looking to buy my third house I was put off the idea of even looking at croydon because of its rep (very much like the snob like comments on this very thread). I looked at all the areas around croydon but not croydon itself, even though I had never been.
Turns out it's alright. In fact it was a hell of a lot nicer than living where I was before in SE1.
I currently live on a nice suburban avenue 10 minutes walk from the station. Trains run so fast and frequently into london that I can get to town quicker than I ever could in a lot of areas of london that I have lived in.

Its also the greenest London Borough believe it or not.

Maybe stay away from the west croydon end and don't go anywhere near New Addington.

Cerberus

Uptown top wankin
I do find some of the snobbery on this thread rather depressing.

Croydon has lots of good things going for it, not least that it is much less full of provincial Dorothies pretending that they're the big metropolitan I am, born and bred, than other boroughs.

Good (and improving) transport links; pretty affordable; has its own identity and is not just orientated towards central London; plenty of distinctive neighbourhoods, lots of shops, restaurants etc; music culture; green spaces within reach; etc.

Good luck!
This ^^

Excellent post.

My views on Croydon are somewhat mixed, having grown up there and now moved away - albeit not very far away. Most of my opinions have at the very least been echoed in previous posts.

However, I find the inherent snobbery of many on these boards quite distatseful and in the main, out of character.
Its ironic and telling that plenty of these people hail from the 'provinces' but once here cant wait to start telling others what a shit suburban neighborhood they live in or that 'outside of zone 2 aint London'.......

ATOMIC SUPLEX

yeah actually, I forgot that there are trains to london bridge too. But london bridge is still south.

Like spanglechick says, it is fairly easy going out but then getting home is a bit of a bitch
The trains run later than the tubes. They stop for about an hour around just after 2 but start again at 3. The night busses are pretty good anyway.
I'm not a super expert though as I don't like staying out late these days.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

It's pretty awful and soulless.
Depends which bits you mean. It's a big place. Addiscombe is like a little village with quality local butchers, fishmongers etc. There are also some nice little cosy pubs.
There are also loads of quite nice parks and it's the greenest borough in the whole of london. You might not get that impression if you get out at east or west croydon and head straight for the centre.

kabbes

"A top 400 poster"
On the other hand, I once received a highly dubious parking ticket in Croydon and I have nurtured a deep loathing of it ever since.

Cowley

It's been mentioned countless times already but it really depends what you cater for. Obviously Croydon is very much a "Suburban New Town". It doesn't aspire to be a "Urban Trendy Bohemian type village" like say Brixton or Hackney, but Croydon has it's uses and if you want a Suburban lifestyle then it wouldn't be a bad place to live pound for pound.

There are more upmarket Suburban New Towns like Kingston, but then you have to pays your money to live there.

The whole being as close to Central London as possible very much depends on what kind of person you are, what job you do and what interests you have.

Really saying Croydon is too far out and is not like London is like comparing Apples to Oranges.

cesare

don't mourn, organise!
It's not a "new town". It's a very old town, that's got bigger and bigger because of its proximity to London. Some parts are new, some parts are very old. It's impossible to judge it from a few visits to the town centre.

kabbes

"A top 400 poster"
It is possible to compare apples with oranges, of course, when you are considering which is your favourite fruit.

keithy

or queefy
The trains run later than the tubes. They stop for about an hour around just after 2 but start again at 3. The night busses are pretty good anyway.
I'm not a super expert though as I don't like staying out late these days.
yeah the trains run all night but not very regularly and it becomes proper missions getting back to croydon late on if you're out in north london or east. before we lived together, if we went out in london he would always take longer getting home than me even though I don't live in central London or owt. It's because you can't just get a direct night bus home, you're always gonna have to get one or two buses then a train then a bus from the station to where you live in croydonia.

Like I say though, it can work out well, the transport isn't actually that bad. Can be better than transport in some places in london.

i want somewhere that's cheap(ish), close to my gf, has decent job possibilities or is within commuting distance of somewhere that does, is close enough to london to be able to have a decent day/night out there if i want.

ideally i'd want to be further in, but given that the further in i go, the more expensive it gets both to live and to see my gf, i'm not sure how much of a starter it is

Cowley

It's not a "new town". It's a very old town, that's got bigger and bigger because of its proximity to London. Some parts are new, some parts are very old. It's impossible to judge it from a few visits to the town centre.
I've visited it more than a few times thanks. In general it has the look and feel of a new town, well the centre does anyway. Sure it has old parts, but plenty of historic towns have "new parts" but they are not deemed new towns.

Maybe I should've removed the new bit and called it a Suburban town.

Cowley

It is possible to compare apples with oranges, of course, when you are considering which is your favourite fruit.
Yes but some folks are saying croydon isn't like london. Of course it's not like London, it's a large town in it's own right.

keithy

or queefy
i want somewhere that's cheap(ish), close to my gf, has decent job possibilities or is within commuting distance of somewhere that does, is close enough to london to be able to have a decent day/night out there if i want.

ideally i'd want to be further in, but given that the further in i go, the more expensive it gets both to live and to see my gf, i'm not sure how much of a starter it is
You could consider Brixton or summet? More expensive than where I live but is nicer. V. Easy to get to from Croydon.

Living costs are cheap as fuck in London, it's just the rent and bills. Everything else is peanuts if you are adaptable and that.

I'd be hesitant about moving to croydon straight in with the gf because then if you decide you want to move somwhere else ( you may find a dream job that doesn't suit commuting from croy, for eg) it could be weird. Maybe just discuss all options/possibilities with her. We moved in on a trial basis kinda thing initially, with everything open so it would be ok to pack it in.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

It's because you can't just get a direct night bus home, you're always gonna have to get one or two buses then a train then a bus from the station to where you live in croydonia.
Can't you?
Trafalgar square to the end of my road. Or I have a choice of quite a few if I want to walk the last 10 minutes.

Anyway I only take the bus when I am out late in Brixton. The trains from victoria and LB have always provided and they only take 15 - 20 minutes.

You could consider Brixton or summet? More expensive than where I live but is nicer. V. Easy to get to from Croydon.

Living costs are cheap as fuck in London, it's just the rent and bills. Everything else is peanuts if you are adaptable and that.

I'd be hesitant about moving to croydon straight in with the gf because then if you decide you want to move somwhere else ( you may find a dream job that doesn't suit commuting from croy, for eg) it could be weird. Maybe just discuss all options/possibilities with her. We moved in on a trial basis kinda thing initially, with everything open so it would be ok to pack it in.
yeah, well when i start the big move, i'm going to be moving up with her in croydon for a month or two, while i look for work and get settled. if it works out i may well stay, but we've already agreed that it'll only be a trial and i can move somewhere else afterwards if i want.

keithy

or queefy
Can't you?
Trafalgar square to the end of my road. Or I have a choice of quite a few if I want to walk the last 10 minutes.

Anyway I only take the bus when I am out late in Brixton. The trains from victoria and LB have always provided and they only take 15 - 20 minutes.
but that means getting to trafalgar sq in first place. sounds like there are more night buses than I thought though so that's good.

keithy

or queefy
yeah, well when i start the big move, i'm going to be moving up with her in croydon for a month or two, while i look for work and get settled. if it works out i may well stay, but we've already agreed that it'll only be a trial and i can move somewhere else afterwards if i want.
well then! That's perfect, you will likely know by 2 months whether croydon feels right for you :)

Crispy

The following psytrance is baṉned: All
It's city in a city, got everything you'd ever need with a wide variety of neighbourhoods around a bustling center. Pity that the center is blighted by a massive motorway and some hideous concrete, but otherwise a decent place. Great transport.