Crown & Sceptre to close?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 18, 2019.

1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Was in there on Tuesday about 7pm and it was surprisingly packed (I say surprisingly because I usually go at 10 pm or later and its generally more quiet by then).

I'm off up there at 10 pm. Will note the ambience.

2. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Can you note what is in the skips?!

CH1 likes this.
  3. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin Banned

Ingredients
    • Tapioca Starch
    • Sunflower Oil (32%)
    • Maize Flour
    • Prawn Cocktail Flavour [Sugar, Salt, Natural Flavourings, Acid: Citric Acid, Dried Onion, Natural Vinegar Flavouring, Potassium Chloride, Yeast Extract, Spice, Dried Tomato, Natural Pepper Flavourings, Colour: Paprika Extract]
    • Rice Protein
    • Sugar
    • Salt
    • Colour: Paprika Extract

KatyF likes this.
  4. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Ha ha. Actually I did not inspect the (single) high-sided skip. The place was crawling with Labour canvassers presumably fagged out from forcing the electorate away from their tellys. Even my ward councillor was there grand-standing.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Twitter says

6. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

This is shit news. Along with the Balham one, these 2 spoons were one of the few that you could get a half decent meal in.

7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

That's a weird Twitter account. Even more weird is the linked blog.
    All trivia - mainly retweets.
    This however is original

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Still trying to get a confirmation if the pub is indeed closing on 24th Feb.

Oh I found this tweet from 2017

CH1 likes this.
  9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I was talking to a real 'Spoons cognoscenti in the Crown & Sceptre last night. He agreed with what I had found - that staff will not confirm or deny the closure or closure date.

He also pointed out that several of the current staff have been redeployed from the closed Balham pub so are no doubt pissed off with this.

editor likes this.
  10. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

I messaged the manager last week to ask and he said no it wasn't closing. But I take it with a pinch of salt as when I first heard rumours of it being up for sale he denied it then told me a few weeks later when we were out drinking.

editor likes this.
  11. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

I saw it for sale on a property website a year or so ago, but they'd put the wrong picture on (it was of a pub somewhere else) so I assumed it was a mistake.

I might be wrong but I also heard a rumour on Twitter a while back that the Holland Tringham might close...(they might have bene getting mixed up with the C&S though.)

12. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Was talking to one of the AMs last night who was unhappy that the area general manager hadn't bothered to contact them. They did at least confirm closure.

13. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Holland Tringham is leased not owned. Owner wants to develop the site. There may already have been an application submitted.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  14. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I remember going there when I was growing up in the area, when Spoonses were quite a new concept, and I thought I'd be a bit more nostalgic about it but actually I'm not. It was a functional place in a weird location - it was just big, had decent beer and happened to be equidistant from me and my friends at the time. I don't feel bad about South London places from my youth being closed for nostalgic reasons in general.

However nowadays pubs closing means people get put out of work, another community meeting point disappears, and it will just end up being fucking flats that nobody can afford. So I'm against it.

twistedAM likes this.
  15. Yage

Yage Member

Hi there.

For the record, that was a genuine question about the fluidity of a capon’s gender.

Also, as another commented, there are indeed skips in the car park of the , showing signs of ‘change’. Staff appear to have their mouths zipped regarding any more info but as soon as I know I will report back :)

TTFN

16. Yage

Yage Member

Nothing interesting but me and P-Dawg were going to throw local “alien/god representative “ Anthony in the skip if he hadn’t have been barred.

17. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

It was one of a large number of pubs that they put on the market.

There was some speculation at the time that the random mix of pubs were not particular properties they needed/wanted to sell but because Wetherspoons needed to have sold some pubs as going concerns so they could demonstrate that the values they had for the freehold pub estate on their balance sheet were realistic (unlike some other pubcos that had massively overvalued their property portfolios). Having sold a few at the asking prices they could then borrow money more cheaply.

18. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Spoons only have a lease on the Holland Tringham. The property owner put in an outline planning application 18/01121/OUT for redevelopment of the site as 8 flats above 2 shops with parking instead of the beer garden.

This got turned down by Lambeth PDQ

CH1 and Brixton Hatter like this.
  19. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Cheers. A pretty damning rejection then!

20. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Are the Spoons pubs run independently staff-wise? In other words, is the staff employed by the landlord or by the company? I hope every effort is made to find positions in other pubs for those wanting to continue working for the company.

21. Yage

Yage Member

The staff are employed by the company so when the pub closes they will be given the option to work at another Wetherspoons.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Smick and T & P like this.
  22. Yage

Yage Member

Skip has a lid on it so will have to wait till it gets darker and I’m more drunk before I sneak a peek ;-)

23. Cold Harbour

Cold Harbour Well-Known Member

It's a lovely building too, bastard (owner, not Council).

Brixton Hatter and Yage like this.
  24. Yage

Yage Member

The man’s a donk head.

25. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

Very bad news for those who are on a budget. Not any consolation but spoons are redeveloping the pub and site (corner Anerley Hill/Church Rd) opposite the Westow House in Crystal Palace. Spending big bucks apparently ...

ska invita likes this.
  26. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Surely if it remains a Spoons pub the prices will remain affordable regardless of how much they spend on the refurb? Unless Spoons has a branch of ‘premium’ pubs with higher prices I’m not aware of.

Wetherspoons’ chief selling point is its affordability so I can’t see one offering wares at upmarket prices having bright prospects of success.

27. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

The one in Palace is reportedly going to be a Lloyds so they can play music etc

ska invita likes this.
  28. jimbarkanoodle

Many Spoons are more expensive, and often not just by the odd 20p per pint. We're quite lucky in this part of South London in that the Spoons are very much at the cheaper end. The Brixton, Tooting and Streatham ones are the cheapest spoons i've found in London. The Balham one was slightly more expensive but still decent.

If you go to say the one in Angel its at least £1 per pint more expensive than Brixton. I do get that it is tied to location/rents etc but i think they use that as an excuse, the rent in Angel cant be that much more than Brixton relative to a quid a drink extra. You might as well go to a normal pub if your anywhere north of the river.

29. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

As a Wetherspoons connoisseur I would say that the company operates a zoning system.I think you will find that the current guest ale price in the Crown & Sceptre and the Fox on the Hill is £2.15
    Peckham Kentish Drovers and Brixton Beehive is £1.99. I expect Streatham Holland Tringham would be £1.99 (or maybe £1.89 - it was always cheaper that most.
    On the other hand they have moved the Rockingham at Elephant and Castle into zone 1 and current price for Guest Ale is £2.95
    The Asparagus at Falcon Road (Battersea) has always been expensive and could be £2.95 or even £3.49 by now.

If you venture to the Willow Walk at Victoria, or the Lord Moon or the Mall at Whitehall, or even the one at Baker Street station, or indeed the Penderel Oak in Holborn the price of Guest is around £3.49.

I'm told that for the more suburban palate there are Wetherspoons in places like New Malden and Raynes Park which are as cheap as the Beehive.

wtfftw, Smick and Twattor like this.
  30. jimbarkanoodle

Ah a fellow connoissuer!

Yes the Kentish Drovers is certainly among the cheaper ones, but not particularly pleasant. I've twice made the huge error of ordering a burger in there whilst hungry and got a lukewarm, anaemic thing chucked against stale bun, accompanied with partly frozen chips. the place is definitely not geared towards people ordering and/or enjoying food, which i do perfectly understand.

I've always found that the Elephant and Castle one, whilst still more expensive, is considerably cheaper than any other zone 1 spoons. Try ordering a pint of lager in the Bank one and you'll get a couple of 10p's as change from a fiver.

Having spent some time in the suburbs you mention, they are indeed at the cheapest end of the scale. Surbiton and New Malden are good for that, not so much the Kingston one as it is opposite a massive nightclub so has a captive audience to charge a bit extra.

I always forget about the Fox on Hill. Cracking spot on a warm summers evening.