Crown & Sceptre to close?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 18, 2019.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

:confused:

3. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

I asked one of the AMs about this a week or so ago and they said they didn't know anything about it, but regulars who also drink in the Sultan and Hand in Hand report staff have been inquiring about alternate employment there.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

timina martin

5. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

I never realised that Stay Free included a reference to the C&S. Great tune.

Maggot and editor like this.
  6. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

The building was up for sale a while ago, wasn't it?

I remember a link on here to the sale.

7. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

This was mentioned in the Streatham thread quite a while ago.

I was hoping it was just rumour and had gone away.

8. Smick

I can't find the Wetherspoon property disposal website any more.

I was in last Saturday. There seemed to be a good number of people in. It would be a shame to see it go. I guess that site is fairly valuable, being on the South Circular, walking distance to Brixton, close to Streatham Hill station.

I guess we could coordinate a fuss if developers are looking to buy it, have it rightly registered as a community asset. But even if we prevent a sale, Wetherspoons could easily leave it empty. Same shite as the White Hart in Tulse Hill. It's just as much use to us shut as it is as an apartment block.

9. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Hope not, but probably inevitable.

Surely there has been a pub on that site for donkeys years, so may be listed etc?

The spoons in Balham shut down suddenly just before Christmas too, apparently the landlords wanted to triple the rent, so spoons said fuck off.

10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

There is an amusing (?) vignette of Tim Martins Brexit roadshow in a Portsmouth Wetherspoons last week. The responses described here were not at all what he got in the Beehive (and presumable the Crown and Sceptre) when he came on 7th December.
    England’s rebel spirit is rising – and it wants a no-deal Brexit | John Harris

PS when the Moon under Water closed in Balham last November it split MumsNet down the middle. Half though it was a disgusting venue for tramps, whereas the others said it was the only place their kiddywinkles could get moderately priced drinks when the were home down from uni on their vac.

BusLanes likes this.
  11. jimbarkanoodle

having lived in Balham for a year a while back, it was the only place to get a drink without it feeling like a creche, and paying a fiver a pint. It was basically one of the few good things about the area, IMO.

Nanker Phelge and CH1 like this.
  12. Twattor

I spoke to CAMRA about ACV listing when it went on the market in 2017 and was told that we'd have to demonstrate it had community use (i.e clubs and societies rather than just drinking) to qualify as an ACV. CAMRA also tell me that Lambeth have a robust pub protection policy in place which is supposed to prevent change of use, but i'll believe that when i see it.

BusLanes and editor like this.
  13. jimbarkanoodle

whats on the upper floors of the buildings? staff lodgings?

14. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Yes it is. 2 or 3 flats as far as I remember.

Last time I spoke to the manager there (xmas/new year) I'm sure he said it had been taken off the market. The website that used to show all the Spoons pubs up for sale seems to not exist anymore.

Smick likes this.
  15. Twattor

It looks like 24th Feb will be the last day

16. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Really? That sucks :(

17. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Shit...

18. Smick

That Tim Martin is a bastard.

Where's his Brexit prosperity if he's having to close pubs?

oryx likes this.
  19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

If you were a Methodist (which I know you're not) you would have been taught that publicans make money out of misery (as do bookies)!

20. Smick

I was raised an Irish Catholic. Drinking and gambling were endorsed from the altar. That's probably where I first went wrong.

CH1 likes this.
  21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Actually I noticed on Wednesday that one of the bar maids had an unusual attitude. She started pouring me a pint of Five Points Brick Field Brown (5.4% abv) and it ran out at about 400 ml. "Is it OK if I charge you for a half?" she asked. Naturally I was delighted.

In most places - even other Wetherspoons such as the Beehive - the'd chuck it away and make you have something else.

I'm not sure how much Tim Martin micro-manages his pubs. Not much I should think. He is probably the nearest we have to Donald Trump, but fortunately his finger is on the supply of cheap hospitality rather than the nuclear button.

If the Crown and Sceptre has been disposed of it will be because they got a good price for the site.

22. technical

technical stripey

Tim Martin is a twat. But I will be deeply sorry to see the crown & sceptre go. Mick Jones should organise some sort of campaign

Maggot likes this.
  23. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Even better if he bought it.

24. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Gutted.

But I don't understand. The Crown & Sceptre is packed all day, every day. It cannot possibly be unprofitable. But I guess the site is probably worth millions, especially if they build flats on the rather large car park round the back. (But who would want to pay half a million quid for a tiny flat next to one of the busiest and most polluted roads on London?)

Thimble Queen likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

All developers care about is the quick, pocket-lining flog off. They don't give a shit about community, social cohesion, history or heritage, all they care about is filling their ugly faces with even more money. They are scum. Absolute scum.

prunus likes this.
  26. Twattor

Don't know. The building is falling apart and needs a chunk of money spent on it. They have painted the ceiling and re-upholstered a few chairs recently, but bits of masonry keep falling off the outside and the gents loos haven't worked for years. They may also have taken a hit from the 2017 business rates changes - there is a lot of floor area.

I haven't found anyone able to tell me for certain what's happening. Most staff deny any knowledge of closure, so it is not impossible that it's just closing for refit or has been sold to a pubco. Not holding my breath though.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  27. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Im sure I was told a figure of £2 million to get it up to standard. Though parts of it have been falling off as long as I've drunk there and that's nearly 15 years!

I have also been trying to find out - I've had a resolute no its not closing on that date but I'm not 100% certain still.

28. jimbarkanoodle

Is it listed in any way, that stipulates there should still be a pub on the site?

29. Twattor

Skips in the car park. Not looking good.

30. Twattor

Fuckers in their death throes have had better beers on in the last week than they have in the last god knows how many years.