Crown & Sceptre in Streatham Hill reopened in Feb 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 18, 2019.

1. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

Love a pint of Pedigree although I'm not sure their entire output is fermented as below ...

Marston's is the only remaining brewer to use Burton Union Sets; a system whereby fermentation barrels and troughs are linked together by pipework. The basic principle is one of preventing excessive beer and yeast loss through foaming, but the consequence is that the beer is in contact with more wood and with more beer, fermenting in a bigger volume, typically totalling about 100 barrels or 160 hectolitres. That results in a more consistent flavour and very little chance of a whole batch being ruined. All other large-scale brewers have abandoned that method in favour of stainless steel fermenting vessels, which while they ensure (through volume) a consistent flavour, limit the use of traditional yeast varieties. They make selective use of the unusual double dropping process (for example, in the production of Brakspear Bitter), which introduces complex flavours by a period of accelerated yeast growth.

There are other good trad beers within their family - Jennings, Ringwood, Brakspear, Wychwood, McEwans, Wainwright and Bombardier ...

Getting thirsty now ... ;)

Brixton Hatter, Yage and editor like this.
  2. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Just past the place and it’s lit up inside and out.

Will be going in on Friday around 7pm for a look around :)

3. Wakabe

Wakabe New Member

This morning there’s a chap with a couple of theodolites doing a survey in the car park.

That makes me feel a bit worried that it’s going to be a big redevelopment but I guess at least something is in train

4. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

That was a successful and very popular pub which Wetherspoons bought a few years ago. There was talk about it becoming a Lloyds No1 wine bar (there is already a Wetherspoons round the corner). They wanted to build over the front courtyard and open some kind of terrace but they kept getting refused planning permission so, for quite a while, the previous owners kept trading, which was a sad time because they lost their Camra hook up - because Camra thought they were closing - so you could no longer get discounts with a Camra card. Then they stopped doing food, then they stopped doing the music nights, and so it went on. They had several closing down parties.

Then they were closed, and it has been boarded up ever since!

Meanwhile, pubs and bars are opening all over the Triangle, so it may be that Wetherspoons were right to spot the potential, but they might just miss it if they don't get it open soon.

Anyway - derail, sorry.

5. Guineveretoo

I didn't know that Wetherspoons varied their prices - I assumed they were set nationally.

Perhaps that was naive of me, mind...

6. lordnoise

I was reminded by some pals last night of a Wetherspoons that closed a few years ago in Kirkdale above Sydenham. Fairly unsually for a Spoons it was a modern building with a modern interior but like the Sceptre it suddenly closed and quickly reopened.
    When I went in I remember thinking it was hard to know it wasnt a spoons. It had a good choice of cask ale at spoons like prices with a food menu card very much spoons in style and content. It traded for quite some time before closing and being converted to flats.
    Heres hoping similar doesn't happen to the Laz.

7. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Surveyors on site are a mixed sign. It could be a simple area survey for the "proper" sale to a new landlord. Or it could be the first step in a redevelopment/change-of-use planning application. If you see the surveyors on the inside of the building, get worried.

8. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

little flourescent stickers stuck in patterns/grids on the outside of buildings is normally a bad sign too.

9. lordnoise

Lets hope we get some honesty and clarity about its future from the new owners and their staff. Wetherspoons put their staff in a terrible situation asking them to be erm - economical over the truth - about its closing with regulars customers many of whom had become mates.

10. TruXta

TruXta tired

They're planning to knock the whole building down and build a new one that connects with the neighbour, essentially recreating what it used to look like before it got bombed iirc. The drawings I've seen look really good.

11. Guineveretoo

They are knocking it down?? That's new.

The last I heard, they were still looking to do the roof terrace thing, and building upwards, but nothing about knocking it down.

PLANS FOR NEW-LOOK GRAPE AND GRAIN MADE PUBLIC

Was it bombed? I know that Westow House is being restored to what it was like before it was bombed, but I had not heard that about the Grape and Grain.

12. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Bromley planning ref 19/00052/FULL1
    19/00052/FULL1 | Refurbishment and extension of public house including extension, roof garden and upgraded facilities comprising a two storey upper level extension over the existing pub building and a three storey extension to the western side of the building turning the street side corner adjacent to No.3 Church Road. | Grape And Grain 2 Anerley Hill Anerley London SE19 2AA
    upload_2019-2-28_13-20-24.png

The whole thing will be the pub, including the new shopfronts

upload_2019-2-28_13-22-41.png
    With a second bar upstairs and a balcony looking down

upload_2019-2-28_13-23-11.png
    And a third bar above that, with roof terrace.
    upload_2019-2-28_13-23-43.png
    That is a seriously big pub. Council decision still pending.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  13. TruXta

TruXta tired

Ah, so not knocking it down. Cheers Crispy :thumbs:

Guineveretoo likes this.
  14. Guineveretoo

It is going to be absolutely huge! If it goes ahead. There have been objections lodged as well as support.

15. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

It's a fairly similar site to the Tulse Hill Hotel. Busy crossroads on the South Circular, rooms above it, car park out the back. Could they be going for a similar conversion?

Everyone was sure that the Tulse was doomed when bought over.

Yage likes this.
  16. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Nipped past the Crown & Sceptre earlier - staff inside getting it ready (staff I didn't recognise.) Looks basically the same, with some of the furniture moved about. Minimal makeover behind the bar from what I could see, but everything else looks pretty much the same.

Yage likes this.
  17. lordnoise

The Sceptre is dead! - Long Live The Sceptre!!!

Maggot and Yage like this.
  18. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

The Laz!

19. lordnoise

20. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Locals queuing outside already...

21. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Lets hope they aren't sorely disappointed when they find out the price of the pint they just ordered.

22. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Excellent!!!

23. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Not open yet

24. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

They will open within the next hour apaz

25. Twattor

No they won't. They're all ready to go but their license hasn't come through yet. They've been waiting all day.

Apparently pricing is staying pretty much the same.

26. Twattor

Marston's EPA £1.99.

Piped music, unfortunately. Long term plans involve live music.

27. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Any idea of what company owns it?

What type of music are they playing? Is it that modern muck?

28. Twattor

I'm no expert but I believe it may be what they call R'n'B. Which isn't anything like what I call R'n'B. Do not like.

29. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Bet the locals love that!

30. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

It will have been sold to this holding company quickly and they will run it as a pub until they can sell it off to someone else to build flats on.