Crown & Sceptre in Streatham Hill reopened in Feb 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Yes

Maggot likes this.
  2. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

I've got first call on the bottle stoppers on the shelf above left of the door to the ladies. Yage

3. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

I'm here and it's the busiest I've seen it for a long time. I've only ordered Stella.but that seems.fine.

Maggot likes this.
  4. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Fair play.

5. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

Sorry folks I must have caught a staff member off guard and in truthfull mode earlier in the week ... tonight its back to "its just a rumour" . A former publican customer in here says pub groups/companies dont like to advertise closures as you end up with a load of pissed morose punters who start taking things off the wall as momentos ... sadly ignore my posting earlier tonight - I think the old boy closes this Sunday ...

6. Twattor

Emma's lovely but she does toe the company line

7. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Also an issue with suppliers too, although that isn't likely to be as much of an issue with a chain.

A cafe owner/ex publican told me that most people in that hospo trade will try and keep the closure secret as suppliers will stop giving a fuck

8. Twattor

I still live in hope that it is all a cock-up. Some members of staff insist that the rumours of closure come from the punters.

BusLanes likes this.
  9. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Had one in there last night, asked one of the bar maids and she looked at her manager nervously before saying "we havent been told". We know thats not true, but imagine actually having not been told!

10. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

After all the palava we've caused and for the reasons I've mentioned above don't be surprised if they don't open on Sunday morning.
    (Now that really is an official punters rumour completely without foundation ... :p )

editor likes this.
  11. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

The bar staff were fighting over who was going to take home the unicorns head after the place closes.

editor and Maggot like this.
  12. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Tonight in the pub I’ve seen old friends, students, ageing old punks, blokes in suits, gay couples, a group playing board games, a bunch of well dressed older Indian guys, teenagers up to no good, some ladies with their zimmer frames, a bunch of girls who looked so young they came out with their passports , a couple who ordered a glass of wine via the app and accidentally got a bottle and are now getting rather pissed, the barman from an old local of mine , a guy who reckons he’s been drinking in here for 40 years and his band used to play on the raised bit where the west indian boys sit....etc etc

Gramsci, Maggot, editor and 1 other person like this.
  13. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Absolutely - if any local pub iss an "asset of community value", it is the Crown & Sceptre.

Wiping a bit of a tear from my eye - I've been drinking in this pub for 29 years and at 10pm realised that probably half of the people in the pub weren't even born back then.

Variety of stories doing the rounds - still a few conspiraloons who think Tim Martin is closing it to punish the most remain voting place in the country.

More plausible story - it has been sold to a leisure operator for conversion to a hotel with a new accommodation wing on car park possibly with retained pub below. The best case scenario would be something like Tulse Hill Tavern (although that would price out a *lot* of current regulars). The worst case scenario is some chain hotel operator with a soul-less hotel lobby bar of no interest to anyone.

Gramsci, editor and Brixton Hatter like this.
  14. Brixton Hatter

Yep, I reckon this is most likely: a gastropub with a “boutique hotel” above, a bit like the half moon or Tulse Hill hotel. If Wetherspoons don’t want it, maybe Fullers or one of the other big chains do.

editor likes this.
  15. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

50% of the taps are off and the staff are discreetly saying goodbye to each other.

It’s still not shutting though apparently!

lang rabbie and editor like this.
  16. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

What have they got left? Was thinking about popping up there in a bit.

17. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Carling, Guinness and Hooch!

lang rabbie and KatyF like this.
  18. Kookycoops

Kookycoops New Member

My cousin was working there last year and told me they were closing it down and building flats I was so gutted and now it seems like it was not just a rumour

Yage likes this.
  19. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Rapidly running out of things in here but I'm glad Ive popped up for one last drink. Think I spied a Brixton Hatter as well!

BusLanes, editor and Maggot like this.
  20. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Don’t think I’ve ever met either of you but cheers all!

Sad times indeed.

BusLanes likes this.
  21. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Went last this morning, lights on but there's a sign on the door. Was on the bus so couldn't see what the sign said.

22. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Called the pub this morning. They’re not open today. They’re not open tomorrow. Asked when they would be re-opening, they “couldnt tell me that”!

There’s a flat bed truck in the car park. Couldn’t see what was in it though.

The plot thickens... or doesn’t... who knows...!

editor likes this.
  23. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Gramsci, BusLanes and KatyF like this.
  24. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

As if they were still denying it last night, its hardly like a rowdy mob determined to drink the place dry were going to rock up at 10pm and refuse to leave :facepalm:

editor likes this.
  25. Brixton Hatter

Went past earlier. Definitely closed. Mobile scaffolding outside, some workers doing something to the outside of the building. Didn’t get a chance to ask them any details.

Signs up, but still no explanation.

[​IMG]

Gramsci, editor and Yage like this.
  26. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

They are still denying the place has closed even after it has closed!!!

Edited: if you call them that is!

27. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Finally!

28. Brixton Hatter

Barman in the Holland Tringham says Wetherspoons have definitely sold the Crown and Sceptre building. He doesn’t know who to, or what it will be in future, but it definitely won’t be a Wetherspoons again.

Gramsci and BusLanes like this.
  29. editor

editor Forked with electrons

The Beehive looks particularly packed right now.

Gramsci likes this.
  30. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Just wasted £12 on HM Land Registry (website as crap and unfriendly as it ever was).

The pub postcode comes up with two addresses 2-2A Streatham Hill and 4 Streatham Hill.

Suspecting dodgy dealings, I downloaded most recent details for both title registers and plans, only to find I had paid for duplicates of the same deeds against both addresses. This relates to the purchase of the site - now registered as "2 and 4 Streatham Hill" -by JD Wetherspoon plc back in May 2016.

REGISTER EXTRACT Title Number : SGL337478
    Address of Property : The Crown and Sceptre Public House, 2 and 4 Streatham Hill, London (SW2 4AH)
    Price Stated : £2,480,000 plus £496,000 VAT
    Registered Owner(s) : JD WETHERSPOON PLC (Co. Regn. No. 01709784) of Wetherspoon House, Reeds Crescent, Watford WD24 4QL.
    Lender(s) : None
    Feel free to buy me a drink or three in recompense!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019