Crown & Sceptre in Streatham Hill closes and reopens, Feb 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 18, 2019.

1. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

Its open! Nice landlady and partner (sounds like theyre from the NE). They say theyre in it for the long term and no connection to Greene King so notionally they can serve what they want. 5 and bit quid for 2 pints of cask ale and a packet of crisps so still nice and cheap. Great result given we were facing closure a few days ago. (Smells like theyve had the cleaners in too )

2. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

[​IMG]

3. Kem3008

Kem3008 New Member

Do you know when they will start doing food

4. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

Said next week ... :)

5. Yage

Yage Active Member

Well... Tim’s cousins shite paintings have been removed (thank god). It looks a bit darker as the tv’s are turned off and they are playing generic music.

Other than that the lager is actually cheaper and everyone seems to be enjoying it.

Thumbs up from me!

Attached Files:

editor, Maggot, Gramsci and 3 others like this.
  6. Yage

Yage Active Member

They’re playing YMCA now.

editor and BusLanes like this.
  7. ninelivecat

ninelivecat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info do you know what the weekly opening hours are Sunday through to Saturday

8. artyfarty

artyfarty A shed on a ditch.

Nice to see old chums albeit briefly as I was in a rush this eve. Not sure why all the secrecy though. Why not just say we will be shut for 5 days and someone else is taking it over for the interim. The beer will still be cheep and it’s not going to be Overpriced flats just yet. This pub really is a neighbourhood resource.

Nanker Phelge, BusLanes and editor like this.
  9. Yage

Yage Active Member

Shuts at 11pm on a Sunday...

10. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

So, the pub has reopened and its almost as cheap, but none of the money goes to Tim Martin anymore?

I'd say that is good news all round then.

DJWrongspeed, girasol, Maggot and 3 others like this.
  11. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

They should hang a massive EU flag on the facade as well :D

DJWrongspeed, zora, twistedAM and 4 others like this.
  12. Pimmybrixton

Pimmybrixton New Member

Popped in there this lunchtime to check it out. My pint was cheaper than it was before Martin flogged it ! Doubt it will last long but 'HEY HO

13. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

My pint has gone up in price :mad:

From £2.49 to £2.50 :D

Good points
    - Still a pub
    - Drinks still cheap
    - Toilets are cleaner
    - No more misleading political propaganda on the tables
    - Still a haven for locals, characters and misfits

Bad points
    - A bit soulless. (Never thought I'd say this, but it looked better as a Wetherspoons. They've taken all the sh!t off the walls, which makes it look a bit weird...worse than the Jockey from Shameless? :eek:)
    - Loud(ish) music behind the bar, which makes it difficult for some of the locals and bar staff to hear each other....but which you can't hear from anywhere else in the pub
    - No food. Crisps & peanuts sold out too. (Apparently food will resume next week.)

Also various people who were banned from the pub previously are now coming back in. (Which may or may not be a good thing! :D )

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  14. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

I agree Brixton Hatter it's just a bit soulless. Went in on Saturday and last night and it just doesn't quite have the same feel. Happy it's still cheap and as you say the loos are a bit cleaner . What I presume is the landlady is lovely. Is a bit concerning that some people may now come back in.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  15. Brixton Hatter

Also, I can't get over the feeling this is all a bit of a pubco scam.... Can't really be bothered to type out my thoughts in full here, but a pub firm which apparently controls 1,100 boozers and blah etc etc....

Anyway, here's the new drinks menu.

Comments please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. jimbarkanoodle

Impressed with the prices, i cannot think of any pub in London which isnt a Wetherspoons as cheap as that. 3 bottles of Stella for a fiver is crazy prices.

Only place that comes close is possibly the Albert on the bottles of beer and shots, and a pub by Lewisham Station called 'The Anchor', where no pint is over £3.50.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  17. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Only 1 wine available by the glass is a bit poor. I mean the prices are very good but shit choice for people who don't want a bottle.

18. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I've not been in but it looks a lot like a holding thing. Keeping the place turning over with minimal costs while they decide on the longer term course of action.:hmm:

19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Marstons EPA and John Smiths is for people who sit there all day. (ie gnats Piss).
    I guess the only way to suss out better quality ales (if available) is a personal visit.

20. Yage

Yage Active Member

Looks like it’s the first day of food service. Same kind of grub, same kind of price.

Attached Files:

21. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I think those will be 275ml bottles, so it's about £3.30 a pint. I know that's also very good, but one and a half pints for a fiver doesn't have the same ring.

22. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

It is a bit bleak with everything stripped off the walls though.

Was amused to hear the regulars grumbling about lack of beer over 4%. That's still cheap in comparison.

23. jimbarkanoodle

Id be surprised if the Stella's were that small, as far as i know the only mass produced lagers that come in those sizes in pubs are Becks. You do get smaller Stella's in creates from the supermarket (I've seen them in 284ml bottles), but ive not seen them in pubs before. Not that i really drink it anyway, but i always look for the best value when im buying beers, taking in the ABV as well (which is now a mere 4.8% for Stella, comapred to 5.2% back in the day).

24. jimbarkanoodle

Just read the food menu, how/why is it so cheap? :confused: A Sunday Roast for £7.50!

Its basically a fake spoons :D, never seen the likes of it before.

25. Brixton Hatter

Yeah basically a spoons without the brand name.

The only way they can have the prices that cheap on beer and food is economies of scale across the whole country. Looks like they have 100s of pubs. It seems like a Wetherspoons type operation. I saw a consultant type guy (with a laptop and stacks of papers) working with the manager the other day on the new menu. It's a proper operation and they've done this before. I'm sure I've seen those menus in other pubs. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Wetherspoons and the other pubcos have a stake in this company.....I'm off to do some research!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    CH1 likes this.
  26. ninelivecat

ninelivecat Well-Known Member

The food menu is a Greene King food menu apparently the same menu that The Horse and Groom have although the prices are cheaper on The Crown and Sceptre menu I heard a rumour that the pub will eventually became a Young's pub although I only heard it from one source so can't confirm that Cheers

BusLanes and CH1 like this.
  27. artyfarty

artyfarty A shed on a ditch.

Pretty grim beer selection so far but frankly I’m just glad it’s open again. Does look and feel a bit like the Jockey in Shameless though. Hopefully that will improve. Hopefully the old spoons staff found new jobs.

28. editor

editor Forked with electrons

That's well reasonable.

29. technical

technical stripey

My first visit after reopening - have to say it looks exactly the same to me although the beer lineup is different.

Still very reasonable though - place is busy so hopefully it’s got a long term future

lang rabbie and editor like this.