Crown and Anchor pub, Brixton Road, Brixton goes card-only

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by boohoo, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Brixton Blog

Brixton Blog Member

Sorry for the delayed reply. For a few years before he bought the Butchers Martin ran the Rose and Crown, at the other end of Church Street. It was formerly his Dad's pub - a cracking Trumans Brewery pub with the original 1930s oak panelling. He took over running it from his dad in about 2008/9. He had a live in manager there though as he concentrated on the Wrestlers in Highgate.

marty21 likes this.
  2. editor

editor hiraethified

*thread merge, right here, right now.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  3. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

He still runs the Rose and Crown afaik, he owns it (or the lease) it's a nice place, he also owns the Butchers, the Wrestlers, and the Brownswood in Finsbury Park.

4. Stig

Stig Bull in a china shop

Spoke to Yll and Joe last night in the Jolly Butchers. They're ready for the 19th, and I'm really looking forward to it! They have two kegs of Kernel and a shed load of other amazing beer to go on.

For some reason the opening night starts at 4pm :hmm:

what with me being unemployed, I could easily make that, although I'm not sure it's entirely a good idea...

5. Stig

Wonder if I should stick it in the noticeboard thread?

6. editor

editor hiraethified

I'll be posting up a special preview on Wednesday!

7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I am away on the 19th :mad:

8. marty21

damn you!

9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I will send my people to talk to your people.

marty21 likes this.
  10. MAD-T-REX

MAD-T-REX Well-Known Member

If you need anyone to help you check it out before the opening, I am prepared to throw myself on that grenade.

editor likes this.
  11. marty21

Opening this week, I will be making a trek to that South London for the opening.

12. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl All lost in the supermarket

This week, you say? Which day? I may have to try some of the beer, purely for research purposes, you understand.

13. marty21

Thursday the 19th. I will be also researching the beer ;)

14. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

The outside has been painted dark green now. It looks ok and they've kept most of the original 'Crown & Anchor' lettering on the signage, which is good. The inside is partly exposed brickwork and partly painted the same dark green.

And in news that will excite beer & cider drinkers everywhere, there are 10 - YES 10 - handpumps on the bar.

Roll on Thursday's research project.....

Onket and marty21 like this.
  15. marty21

Sounds like it will be very similar to the Jolly Butchers - which is a good thing.

16. Brixton Hatter

All it needs is a garden. I wonder whether they will be allowed to put chairs/tables out on the pavement of that little side street? It's a dead end after all.

There is actually a gate to Slade Gardens right outside the pub, but it's been locked for years. I wonder if that might be opened again?

17. marty21

The Jolly Butchers doesn't have a garden - but there is a wide pavement on a side street where they have put tables and they managed to convince Hackney to put some bike things (to lock bikes on to0 so you're not right by cars in the side street - I'm sure they have been talking to Lambeth about that side street.

18. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Did I hear that this starts at 4pm on Thursday? What time will people be there? I'm only going to be able to stop by for 1 or 2 straight from work.

19. marty21

I will try and leave here at 4, so should be there by 5, maybe earlier

Onket likes this.
  20. Brixton Hatter

I will be in there asap after I get out of work - certainly by 5.30pm/6pm I hope.

Onket likes this.
  21. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

Excited about this x

22. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Anyone got any idea when they're likely to close on Thursday? I've got to go out to something after work but wondering whether it will be worth popping in for a nightcap on my way home.

23. Stig

Dentists at three, so as soon as I get out of there plus an hour for travel. I reckon I'll be there around 4:30 or so.

24. Stig

don't know, but the Jolly Butchers closes at 12 or 1 depending on the day, so I imagine it might be similar.

nipsla likes this.
  25. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I'm off on Thursday, so will probably pop down. :)

26. Onket

There is a possibility my Mum & her husband will be coming too.

marty21 likes this.
  27. marty21

do we have to be on our best behaviour?

28. Onket

Yes.

marty21 likes this.
  29. editor

editor hiraethified

Cocks out for the lads!

30. Brixton Hatter