Crown and Anchor pub, Brixton Road, Brixton - chat and news

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by boohoo, Jan 29, 2008.

1. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Hashtags and social media accounts are extremely common across all kinds pubs and venues, including many that no-one here or elsewhere would describe as catering for the well off or trying to drive off the well less-off.

If a place like The Beehive or The Dog Star or Hootanani writes about an upcoming gig or promotion on a blackboard, or a poster in the toilets, and include a hashtag or simply asks the reader to check their website for further details, is that any different? The great many people who can't afford a smartphone will surely feel as unwanted/ redundant as those in your scenario.

Hell, Wetherspoons now have an app that allows you to order drinks and food from your table and have them delivered to you. I suspect Spoons customers who can't afford a smartphone will feel far more unwanted and Being treated as second class by their local when they see other patrons avoid queues at the bar and have their pint delivered to them while they have to do it the old fashioned way, than any poor patrons of the C&A would feel at the sight of that hashtag. So in your view it'd be fair to say Wetherspoons are discriminating against the poor or trying to change their client demographic?

2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I suppose this is true. If you drift into the Beehive on Friday or Saturday night after about 9 pm you wouldn't get seat at a table anyway - so how does online ordering help? (unless you are one of those people who like to get your seat early and stay all night)

Gramsci likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yet so many bars and businesses have managed to flourish without forcing their customers into using a payment which just suits them.

Gramsci likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So why aren't you rallying to support the disenfranchised 'some' who will inconvenienced and excluded by this move?

Surely they matter more than the privileged majority?

5. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I often feel that bar and restaurant staff are somewhat surprised these days when you proffer cash. They’ve normally already got the card machine out.

Maggot, kittyP, marty21 and 2 others like this.
  6. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Surely everyone is equal?

7. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

I’m in Stockholm a lot and you see these signs everywhere, in bars shops and museums. In places that do accept cash it’s hardly used anyway. I don’t ever carry krona.

I think it works better there because infrastructure for it is better. Tech like iZettle and another app (whose name I forget) that allows you to swap money with somebody else with the app are widely adopted. There is no minimum spend bollox.

There is a bit of a backlash going on at the moment. It’s mainly driven because it effects the elderly but it’s too late now, Sweden will be cashless in the next 10 years I expect.

I don’t see it happening here as soon as that but it’s definitely coming.

8. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I like using cash. Its anonymous. Leaves no trail of data. It should be an option for people. I use an Oyster card for public transport but I've never registered it. So its like using cash.

MrSki likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Except those who haven't got a credit/debit card, of course. They get excluded and turned away from places.

sw16er and Gramsci like this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think that very much depends on what type of bar and restaurant you're at.

sw16er and Gramsci like this.
  11. alcopop

In which case they should get a debit card. Problem solved!

12. Mr Retro

Some interesting stats here: Financial Health Exchange

Wrong thread for this discussion I guess but it’s an interesting one.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well it underlines the fact that any establishment refusing to accept cash is excluding the poorest members of the community.

Gramsci likes this.
  14. Gramsci

Take Loughborough Junction. I use the local paypoint for bills and to top up my gas. Like most people I see in the shop its all cash payments.

editor likes this.
  15. Gramsci

One of the arguments behind cashless society is that it will reduce crime. This is nonsense.

Take this:

Fraud fears rise as cashless society nears

The cashless society will need to bring in further erosions to privacy. Next biometric tests as standard.

Who really benefits from cashless society? Not the consumer. I thought the idea of capitalism was that consumer was king and everyone had choices about how and when they spent money. Not so with cashless society. Banks, big data, government are the winners.

16. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Most people do have a bank account though.

alcopop likes this.
  17. alcopop

About 95%

18. Mr Retro

Apparently about 1.5m people in the UK have no bank account. I wonder how many of those don’t have one because they can’t get one?

As we become more cashless those without a debit card because they can’t get one can’t be left out. The infrastructure needs to be put in place to allow those without a debit card to use cashless shops etc. if they want to.

editor likes this.
  19. aka

aka Brixton Hill

Paypoint is cash based as 1) they charge a huge amount on card to the retail outlet v cash and/or 2) someone worked out they can game it. I am asked for cash every time. To recap: the shops are driving it, not the punters.

20. aka

aka Brixton Hill

I agree. If you can’t get one you should not be left out. So; preload cards, oyster+, cash2card

Mr Retro likes this.
  21. Mr Retro

Retailers hate Paypoint. Expensive for them and slow.

22. TruXta

TruXta tired

It's no just about the elderly, it's also that they're scared shitless that if they go properly cashless that they'll be vulnerable to Russian hacking. An electronic payment dominated society is simply less resilient than one that still uses cash.

Gramsci likes this.
  23. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

And the beneficiaries from this transition are not the consumer.

Alex

Gramsci likes this.
  24. TruXta

TruXta tired

Not most consumers for sure.

Gramsci likes this.
  25. Mr Retro

Yes agree. But the talk is around mitigation of risks for when they do go cashless. Moving back towards increased cash use isn’t going to happen.

26. alcopop

I read today it is 98%

27. alcopop

Can you still get pay as you go Mastercards? They used to be all over the shops.

28. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

It's a risky move to go cashless - they might rethink this if takings are reduced. I have noticed less cash being used in pubs but it must still be a significant figure.

29. alcopop

I think generally people spend more when using cards

Credit Cards Make You Spend More: Studies - NerdWallet

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.