Crown and Anchor pub, Brixton Road, Brixton - chat and news

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by boohoo, Jan 29, 2008.

1. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

Can someone remind me where the best veggie roast dinner is in the Brixton area? It's my birthday next weekend and that's what I feel like eating.

2. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I like the one at the Cambria because I love nut roast. They have the nuttiest nut roast short of diving into a bag of peanuts.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  3. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

That meat is too raw for me.

4. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

It was about as raw as I can enjoy. Was a good quality bit of beef and sliced/chewed easily. Would have preferred it slightly better done with thicker gravy.

Onket likes this.
  5. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

looks fine to me, personal choice though.

6. nagapie

Would definitely prefer a nut roast to something like a tart or sausages, which makes the veggie option not feel like a roast at all. Want good roast potatoes, gravy and maybe some yorkshire puddings too.

7. Onket

Is it? Or did it just come like that? Not sure they ask how well done you want your roast.

8. gaijingirl

well it is a nut roast, yorkshire pudding, red cabbage, carrots, parsnip, roast potatoes, apple sauce and mustardy onions. It's very nice. The one thing I did find was that because there was mustardy onions (which were yummy) and gravy on the same plate (and apple sauce), it did become a bit mustardy floaty. Next time I might ask for the onions and apple sauce on the side. I'm pretty fussy with spuds so never likely to find any like my mum's but they were pretty good.

9. nagapie

Sounds yum, except for the apple sauce so thanks for the heads up, if I make it there I'll ask for mine to be left off. I hate apples in savory food. Mustardy onions however, yummmm.

10. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

a good pub should. not everyone wants the red middle, you should get offered a choice imo.

you couldn't serve that to a pregnant person, for example!

Onket likes this.
  11. gaijingirl

yeah.. the apple sauce was a bit redundant really... I gave mine to O.

12. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

If it is a roast they can't ask how you want it done.... They just cook the joint.... Not like a burger when they cook for each person....

13. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

nah, that is balls. with beef or lamb in a pub you should be offered it from the ends or the middle if at all possible, particularly if it is coming out as rare as that.

there are a lot of people who won't eat beef or lamb as rare as that and would just send it back.

14. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

It was red poll beef
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Poll

The rareness of the meat was really a moan. I prefer it a bit better done than that personally but it was still delicious. Just a bit fatty and on the small side.

15. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Fat=flavour

16. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I don't think I've ever been asked how I want the meat done when getting a roast in a pub. I suppose I'd see it as good service if they did but I definitely wouldn't expect it.

17. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

The White Horse. By a large margin.

18. nagapie

What do you get?

19. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Big portions, nice chilled atmosphere on a sunday arvo

20. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

unless I'm in there :hmm:

Brixton Hatter, kittyP and Onket like this.
  21. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Yeah it was fine for me but I understand that it would be too underdone for a lot of people.

It was very tasty and service was great but it just wasn't worth the money.

Like you Dan, I was not happy about the 3 small pieces of roast tattie but was not in the mood for complaining.
    May send them an email.... :hmm:

The ciders were, as ever, absolutely delicious though.
    I had the Fanny's Bramble and it really really did taste exactly of blackberry :)

Dan U likes this.
  22. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

No I never have either but I think that is why roast beef is nearly always cooked medium (or destroyed and charred) rather than as rare as we had.

It did absolutely melt in the mouth though. :)

23. Onket

Cider is supposed to taste of apple.

24. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Not this one :)

25. Onket

It's not cider, then. :p

26. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

I havent tried the dinners but the din can be something chronic

Onket likes this.
  27. nagapie

Not good enough. Only care about big portions if it's the food I want to eat. In this instance I need the right food more than atmosphere. And I have a toddler, don't remember the WH being the place for a little one.

28. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

It's your birthday - ditch the toddler.

29. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Ah well, in that case maybe one of the kid-hell places in herne hill, the florence or the prince regent. the white horse is a decent pub and thankfully ive never seen kids in there.

30. nagapie

And give him to who? We have no family in London and our only babysitter is away that weekend.