Crown and Anchor pub, Brixton Road, Brixton - chat and news

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by boohoo, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I want that

2. cybilbrix

cybilbrix under a willow dreaming

UHH spelling!!!! long day!

I'm interested does anyone care.....Provenance....or if it tastes ok do you block out the early morning/late evening blood channels and white rusty meat vans of atlantic road?

What would God look like in a burger? I would say more cheese and gherkins.........

3. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Tbf they've only started doing this week. The staff probably aren't aware of all those things yet.

4. cybilbrix

cybilbrix under a willow dreaming

and the staff only have to ask the chef?

the chef doesn't know here he gets his produce?

worrying....they are 3 ft away from each other!

Its not a problem I just wondered if anyone thought about the sources of the food....and if it mattered?

5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Your mate said? I suggest going and asking. When I worked in pub kitchens if you asked I would have gone and looked. They strike me as a pretty good bet for sourcing decent produce, perhaps go in and ask them? Not worth getting hung up on eh? Certainly not 'worrying' in the grand scheme of things.

Mrs Magpie likes this.
  6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

What's wrong with getting meat from Atlantic Road?

7. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

There are places I wouldn't get meat from on Atlantic Road. Not all have great handling, hygiene or storage.

Onket and Minnie_the_Minx like this.
  8. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I've eaten at a couple of their other pubs - and the food has always been excellent -

9. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

OK, was there last night. Lots of great beer. And I had a burger. And it was very good. But that's no excuse.

Went to Cafe Cairo after. It's open again, did you know? [For Stockwell forum?]

10. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Four of us ate there for lunch. Not wanting a big meal so we had the German sausage platter and two portions of chips between us. They are BIG chunky and very tasty chips and although I did not count then I would guess about 20 chips per portion. Still a bit painful at £4 a go but the 4 of us were full up.

11. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

When I see some of the meat handling practices on Atlantic Road and in parts of the market I am very glad I don't eat meat.

Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  12. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Yeah it's been open for a couple of weeks now - must pop in soon, for old time's sake!

Thimble Queen likes this.
  13. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Delicious berry cider in a family of sizes

Attached Files:

RaverDrew and Biddlybee like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was there on Wednesday and had a really lovely Windsor Knot ale or three.

Brixtonite: you have been invited back because they want to sort out ChipGate to your satisfaction!

RaverDrew likes this.
  15. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

I popped in last night for a berry cider. Sierra celebration is still £8 a go and they still ask if you're cool with paying that before they pour it.. They do the same with the cheapest lager mind you, at a fiver. Which is nice of them but if I owned the place I'd prolly reduce the price to market rate rather than instruct my staff to ask punters if they wanted to continue with the transaction. I saw one dude wince and downgrade his round once he heard the price.

It's a good place tho. Defintilely a good addition to a pretty barren pub scene.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's their menu:

del.jpg

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

del.jpg

Cheapest pint was £3.30 which seems very reasonable.

18. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Forgot to post on here, but I nipped in for a couple of ales straight from work a couple of weeks ago.

I think it was about £3.60 a pint for approx 5% tasty stuff. One was clearly better than the other but I can't rememebr what was what and they've probably changed them now anyway.

<edit> I think I had that Darkstar 5.7% one actually, and it was nice enough.

Lad I was with tried a couple of the wheat beers, not my kind of thing at all but he loved them.

I will return. Their ciders need trying.

P.s. Eating is cheating.

Greebo likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I wish I could drag that beer selection down to the Albert's bar tonight.

20. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Camden Lager £4/pint from Ed's photo.

21. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

The berry cider is delicious!
    Not sweet. It's sharp like berries are :)

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think they had a £3.80 one too.

23. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

Went there a few weeks back. Beer selection was superb not just in range but precision of curation, I thought. I think the prices are fair for the quality on offer.

Had some fish and chips. The effort was there - no mistaking that the chips were real potatoes, but inside they were rather hard and dry - a long way from the fondancy that should be a good fryer's aim. Mushy peas were underseasoned, but the fish itself was very nice.

Decor was restrained and unassuming, but this is clearly at present a place of very considerable aesthetic self-awareness. If, alongside the great beer, it could also foster the slight shabbyness and insousience that is the trademark of any truly great boozer, it could be a great boozer.

The proof of that, or the obstacle to it, will be in the punters the place attracts. This could end up a monoculture of Shoreditch Twats or Clapham Yah-Yahs, or it could become home to all and sundry. If it's one of the former, then no amound of good beer will make it a proper pub.

leanderman likes this.
  24. Chilavert

Chilavert Undermining strikes :-(

Thought I might pop in for a pint after work this evening. :cool:

25. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

ime the twats and the yah yahs aren't big on real ale

26. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

Traditionally no, although it is moving closer to their narrow field of awareess, I suspect. And the C&A also has plenty of imported stuff that the STs and CYYs would be at home with.

27. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Finally had a roast there on Sunday. It was packed (14:30ish) and a lot of people waiting for tables at the bar but we sat outside as the weather was okay. As usual the service was really good despite it being rammed, and the cider was excellent. They had already run out of chicken and lamb by this time but still had beef, pork and two vegetarian dishes (peppered butternut squash and another I forget now) on offer.

Roast beef for two was £25.00 and washed down with 5 pints meant it was near £45 for Sunday lunch. Pretty rich for our tastes but it was a treat and it is kind of our local so the price was not that upsetting.

(Photo of them below with the beef resting on a bed of mashed root vegetables)
    I thought the roast was not quite worth the money, the beef was nice and tender but a little small and teeny bit too fatty I thought. The three roast potatoes were a little dry and the Yorkshires a little soggy. The veggies were very nice but the horseradish sauce was very bland and gravy (a jus?) was too thin. Not the best pub Sunday roast I have had by a long way and I could easily have eaten a burger on the way home :(

For balance all the other food I have eaten there has always been of very good quality and filling.

[​IMG]

Dan U likes this.
  28. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

i'd do time i swear if someone served me a roast dinner with only 3 roast potatoes on.

kittyP, Onket, ddraig and 2 others like this.
  29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

:D

I think I could have eaten both plates. Shame really as it is the first less than great food I have in there. Not tried the burger yet, odd for me.

Dan U likes this.
  30. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

it looks ok, but no more than that as you say. Roast dinners are an art!