Cricket World Cup 2019

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Monkeygrinder's Organ, May 30, 2019.

1. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Built like a steakhouse, handles like a bistro

Another super over (different batsman, different bowler) would be better than a tie or an arbitrary tie breaker like boundaries scored, wickets lost or dot balls bowled. We waited 7 weeks, another 15 mins would have been ace!

1927 likes this.
  2. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

You need a winner. imo performance in the group stage is the fairest tie break.

Ted Striker likes this.
  3. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I personally favour sharing trophies when the final is a draw. It just appeals more to me.

redsquirrel likes this.
  4. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I think it should be based on a skill level from within the game that was contested. So wickets seems to me the fairest first tie break, then maybe maidens.

1927, Argonia, QueenOfGoths and 3 others like this.
  5. strung out

strung out (",)

Least number of catches dropped.

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

kris says you once bowled a maiden over

Spymaster likes this.
  7. littlebabyjesus

Wickets is ok, although I quite like the way they've moved away from that as a measure. Maidens is just as arbitrary as boundaries.

8. littlebabyjesus

Least number of overs with a substitute fielder on the park.

9. Pickman's model

how many cups of tea the team drank at lunch

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  10. littlebabyjesus

You don't really understand cricket, do you? My suggestion has a point to it.

11. Pickman's model

i understand cricket fine, i am poking fun at your arbitrary means of differentiating the teams in the event of a tie. Spymaster said - and i'd agree not only in cricket but in other sports too - that 'it should be based on a skills level from within the game contested', and having a sub on doesn't really reach that mark (obvs tea drinking doesn't either, but there you go).

12. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Dot balls would be comparable to boundaries.

13. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

The super over took a bloody long time to be sorted. I'm not sure another one is the solution unless they are sorted out a lot quicker. I don't know why but wickets lost (in the match itself) seems to me to favour the team batting first. I can't quite say why but it feels like it does.

The team with the least number of Mitchells wins?

kabbes likes this.
  14. S☼I

S☼I walk the water like a sun

Liberal :rolleyes:

;)

They used to share the football Charity Shield back in the day if it was a draw, six months each team. But that was technically a friendly.

15. littlebabyjesus

In that it's as arbitrary, but probably produces the opposite winner. England almost certainly faced more dot balls to get the same score with lots more boundaries. Ditto maidens.

16. Teaboy

Narrow the odds of it being a draw by bowling two super overs instead of one? It wouldn't take that much more time as its the changing and padding up that takes the time.

Then again if 51 overs a side can't separate two teams what difference could one more make?

17. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Yes, it's taking the outcomes of individual balls and chucking the context by and large.

18. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Perhaps play on for another innings each over several days.

19. Teaboy

The reason we have boundaries scored is presumably an entertainment thing. The win goes to the more entertaining side. Its like some football leagues switched to goals scored rather than goal difference. All comes back to the entertainment test: wickets lost and dot balls bowled fail on this count.

20. Teaboy

Need to limit it though, don't want to be missing that boat home.

21. littlebabyjesus

In this particular context, I favour group stages placing just because that is a reflection of performance, even if that performance wasn't on the finals day. Let's face it, if they're still tied after a super over, any further tie break criterion based on that one game will feel feeble.

22. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

A trophy should NEVER be shared!

23. littlebabyjesus

I think I'm right in saying that it would have been shared if the whole thing had been rained off.

24. Sprocket.

Sprocket. I am just waiting for the next tomato..

I remember when winners were decided by bowling at a single stump.

planetgeli and Pickman's model like this.
  25. Pickman's model

no, i think it's Sasaferrato who remembers when winners were decided by bowling at a single stump

Sprocket. likes this.
  26. littlebabyjesus

That was shit, though. A super over is much better. Could have that next, perhaps...

of course we're debating how to solve a problem that will probably never ever come up again. ;)

Sprocket. likes this.
  27. Sprocket.

Sprocket. I am just waiting for the next tomato..

No, I enjoyed the super over, a good way of deciding and more cricket.

But for a real twist make the best batter bowl and the best bowler take strike.

28. littlebabyjesus

I've witnessed a bowl-off at a t20 match. 3 stumps rather than 1, but it's a really shit spectacle if you're at the ground. The super over is a far better test and a far better spectacle. What were the chances of 241+15 each? I suspect the boundaries thing was there as an afterthought, not really expecting it to happen.

Sprocket. likes this.
  29. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

The honours are rolling in already, this beauty is on the Severn beach line in Bristol:

IMG_20190716_143326.jpg

30. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

A super over or any kind of tournament extension is absolutely the worst way of deciding, IMO, as it effectively renders the previous 6-8 hours of cricket totally null and void and brings the entire event down to a 20 minute slog-fest. At least if skill points in the game are used, it bears some resemblance to what actually happened.